welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bitcoins! Cargo Cult Economy of the Future!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
"unbuy bitcoin"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuOBzWF0Aws

An Error Occurred. Please Try Again Later.

If Google was a guy, he'd be insecure apparently.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://np.reddit.com/r/Buttcoin/comments/2adssm/buttcoin_foundation_rocked_as_founder_exposed_to/

How to cash out on Bitcoin without owning any
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the moral is you can only make a profit in Bitcoins by being a devious jerk, or by not trying at all?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, you make money by telling everyone how useless they are, and then you get bought out to shut you up. (although in the this case the bought-out guy still has outlets so he's only actually silenced in one place on the web, so...)

i gotta find someone with big money to buy my silence.....now let's see, what am i willing to be silent about that someone will pay money for?
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's always been possible to make money in bitcoin. it has just remained, bar none, one of the worst generally talked about 'investments' recently.

As leperflesh said: "Every option for buying and selling bitcoins relies on unregulated intermediaries who, demonstratably, have a terrible record of reliability."

Trading on the bitcoin markets is just a giant corpse pile of people who Just Didn't Quite Make It, and the share of people who made it big on bitcoin largely starts to show the same general tendencies of what it takes to make it with bitcoin. Which aren't hard to guess.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
no, you make money by telling everyone how useless they are, and then you get bought out to shut you up. (although in the this case the bought-out guy still has outlets so he's only actually silenced in one place on the web, so...)

i gotta find someone with big money to buy my silence.....now let's see, what am i willing to be silent about that someone will pay money for?

Wouldn't that make you a sell out mouse?

Betraying one's own ideals for the sake of money?

If you could be so easily bought and traded, why would anyone care to hear your ideologies that are held with no conviction and easily altered?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
mouse wrote:

If you could be so easily bought and traded, why would anyone care to hear your ideologies that are held with no conviction and easily altered?

Ask cable news.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
mouse wrote:

Ask cable news.

If you aren't wise enough to understand that cable news is mostly a joke, you probably shouldn't be playing with bitcoin.

Like with most technologies on the cutting edge, if you aren't careful, you can get burned. Just ask sam, pretty sure that's what happened to him, and why he hates it.

That being said, it's pretty darn safe, and over the years, crypto-currencies will only get safer and safer.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

NO shit cable news is trash, yet they sell their product to millions, those are the people who would take such a person seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

NO shit cable news is trash, yet they sell their product to millions, those are the people who would take such a person seriously.

But as you can see, neither you nor I take those millions of people seriously.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be concerned if a couple of those millions of people were ridiculously rich and powerful, but somehow I know that they just aren't.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they vote
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: I'm not even sure 10% of those people vote. Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
But they vote

Well then the question becomes whether you take voting seriously and truly believe in the 2 party system that is bought and paid for by an assortment of powerful corporations and banks who also use cable news to spread their influence.

Me neither.

Comes full circle, doesn't it?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lessee

voting only determines the last couple of bits of information in the (log base 2 of US population) ~28 bit question of who leads the country

or in some cases the last single bit of information in whether a particular sort of law passes

but it still decides those last couple of bits

and if you get those people mad enough, they decide even more. The "informed voting public" is a sleeping beast no one wants to wake up. Do you really want to test whether those media outlets are working at full capacity in manufacturing outrage?

Quote:

most of my ideals are more greatly helped along by money than they are by my own ineloquent voice promulgating them to a population that doesn't care

especially if I were running a site like buttcoin for laughs about a topic that I don't really care about and some company I had insulted wanted to buy that site
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had i not clarified strongly enough that i have never been burned by bitcoin, or does Thy absolutely have to believe that falsehood in order to make sense of my position

bonus question: does it even really matter??
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
mouse wrote:

well, if you read the original article, you will learn that the guy was given repeated assurances before the sale that he would retain full control of the site, that they loved the stuff he wrote and did not want any changes - and then after he sold, they locked him out and altered only the negative comments he had made about the system that it turned out the buyer was fronting for. which was like 3 articles out of however many he had posted.

so he didn't betray his own ideals. i guess he was duped, but at least he got a stack of cash out of being duped (where as most dupees lose the stack of cash). his ideals are still intact - just now on other sites.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
Page 39 of 42

Jump to: