welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bitcoins! Cargo Cult Economy of the Future!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 44, 45, 46  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind being duped into stacks of cash...
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i figure if you are going to be duped, that's the way you want to be duped.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:
mouse wrote:
no, you make money by telling everyone how useless they are, and then you get bought out to shut you up. (although in the this case the bought-out guy still has outlets so he's only actually silenced in one place on the web, so...)

i gotta find someone with big money to buy my silence.....now let's see, what am i willing to be silent about that someone will pay money for?

Wouldn't that make you a sell out mouse?

Betraying one's own ideals for the sake of money?

If you could be so easily bought and traded, why would anyone care to hear your ideologies that are held with no conviction and easily altered?

well, if you read the original article, you will learn that the guy was given repeated assurances before the sale that he would retain full control of the site, that they loved the stuff he wrote and did not want any changes - and then after he sold, they locked him out and altered only the negative comments he had made about the system that it turned out the buyer was fronting for. which was like 3 articles out of however many he had posted.

so he didn't betray his own ideals. i guess he was duped, but at least he got a stack of cash out of being duped (where as most dupees lose the stack of cash). his ideals are still intact - just now on other sites.

Duped? Please.

He knowingly sold his site for money because he ultimately didn't care that much about what he was doing, and saw a free meal ticket. I already know what type of person he is.

I'm also getting the feeling that you don't understand that the amount of money he was offered is peanuts, a drop in the bucket.

Furthermore, if he's so easily duped, his ideals become suspect, and his motives and character are damaged irregardless.

If he continues to speak against bitcoin on those other sites you mention, it will be seen more as a personal vendetta against those who promote different ideologies, and if that is the case, logic and reason are thrown out the window in favor of an irrational emotional retaliation against an enemy that isn't even there.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the site he sold was an non-monetizable joke blog, thy. It didn't exist to provide proper arguments against bitcoin. It existed to mock bitcoiners. It's like if I made an "anime is stooopid" blog.

there wasn't really anything there to betray

sufficient quantities of peanuts pay for that quite handily
Eiden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He got six figures out of a company that swindles bitcoiners hard (which, admittedly, isn't that hard to do -- they're easy marks)

The 'personal vendetta' element is a uniquely bizarre one. Is Thy ever right about people or morality by accident?
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: always right Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
He got six figures out of a company that swindles bitcoiners hard (which, admittedly, isn't that hard to do -- they're easy marks)

The 'personal vendetta' element is a uniquely bizarre one. Is Thy ever right about people or morality by accident?

6 figures is nothing to them, like I said, it's peanuts. Think about that for a bit.

You seem to think bitcoiners are easy marks, is this from your personal experience as a professional charlatan?

Tell me Eiden, what happens when a person invests a lot of time and energy into building and maintaining a personal website that holds many of their opinions (especially the kind of opinions that mock others for their misfortune or choices in life), only to find it defaced as a result of their own greed that blinded that person from the actual truth?

I'd say they'd take it pretty personally.

The only real question to ask is whether you would be satisfied with this happening given the compensation of 6, or even 7 figures Eiden.

Cause that would never be enough for me.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a year as a professional charlatan. I wrote a book about it, it was called, "A Year of Living Biblically."

Boom.

Random burn on innocent people not in this conversation.

That's how seriously I take this.
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: fun Reply with quote

Oh you liked that line Dogen?

So did I.
Eiden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: always right Reply with quote

Thy Brilliance wrote:
You seem to think bitcoiners are easy marks, is this from your personal experience as a professional charlatan?

*laughs*

No, but as I'm sincerely fascinated by your condition, I am wondering if you could even guess why I would think bitcoiners are easy marks. What, honestly, is your absolute best guess?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main lesson to learn from Bitcoin is to keep an eye out for potential Internet gold rushes, but not to get too invested in any one of them, especially once they're already over.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people that buttcoin guy was most frequently savaging these days, Butterfly Labs? Out and out con-men who had fleeced millions of dollars from people excited to jump on the bitcoiner bandwagon. They're utter scum.

If Buttcoin guy can get tens of thousands of dollars out of them because they'll go to those lengths to co-opt a bitcoin mockery site and just prevent scathing reviews of their shitscam product, all the more power to him.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
The people that buttcoin guy was most frequently savaging these days, Butterfly Labs? Out and out con-men who had fleeced millions of dollars from people excited to jump on the bitcoiner bandwagon. They're utter scum.

If Buttcoin guy can get tens of thousands of dollars out of them because they'll go to those lengths to co-opt a bitcoin mockery site and just prevent scathing reviews of their shitscam product, all the more power to him.

I'm still trying to figure out how they've avoided massive litigation so far. They've broken lord knows how many consumer protection laws already.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the kind of people plug stupid enough to gamble money on currency not even backed by the wrath of a military force are the same kind of "REGULATION IS BAD" stupid that makes them feel like sellouts for suing when they get swindled.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah got it on one. these guys are the perfect combination of GOVERNMENT BAD FIAT BAD GO GALT combined with the idea that they're going to bust the system and be a true CAPTAIN OF INDUSTRY

like i am making extreme light of the complexity of the industrial mindset and their cognitive biases but entire industries of convincing people they were bound for financial greatness (so as to leech money from them) existed prior to bitcoin in the Financial Seminar world, and worked on the same biases

this is just the latest ieteration
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: My condition: to see people as they really are. Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
Thy Brilliance wrote:

*laughs*

No, but as I'm sincerely fascinated by your condition, I am wondering if you could even guess why I would think bitcoiners are easy marks. What, honestly, is your absolute best guess?

[guess]

Because you are an arrogant piece of shit who looks down upon others.

A typical generation Y American who vastly overestimates their own abilities despite all evidence to the contrary.

Naturally, you have a psychological need to appear superior to others, for this is the only way for you to maintain your demeanor and self esteem.

This is why talking to me fascinates you, because you simply can't figure out where all my confidence comes from.

And this has effected you subconsciously to the point where you now make passive aggressive and subtle insults to my character.

You do this because you fear me.

And I am telling you this only because I don't want to be feared, I just want to be accepted for who I am.

[/guess]

I give this guess 4/5 stars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 40 of 46

Jump to: