Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bitcoins! Cargo Cult Economy of the Future!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It Keeps Happening
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure they'll fix it any day now.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"All these issues stem from a misunderstanding of Bitcoin itself. The service isn't technically anonymous: it's pseudonymous. Each wallet has a hard and persistent identity and a wealth of data associated with that identity. If you don't know who's behind a given wallet, that looks a lot like anonymity, but once a person is tied to a given wallet, their financial activity becomes instantly and painfully public."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/14/7546669/silk-road-trial-bitcoin-tracking
Caimsen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Bitcoins a big Topic in the US? Cause here in Europe we dont really hear much about it.
Mr Gary

Location: Some pub in England ... Uh, I mean, Scotland ... Uh, I mean, Spain ... Uh I mean Scotland again ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caimsen wrote:
Are Bitcoins a big Topic in the US? Cause here in Europe we dont really hear much about it.

Apparently so. Since China put all the $$ in a giant honey pot and placed it on the highest shelf in it's kitchen, Youessians have been bartering bitcoins and chips of George Washington's false teeth for their necessary items. Five bees for a dollars worth of Washington's teeth, they'll say, wearing an onion on their belt, as is the style at this time.
KillAllMen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Gary wrote:
Caimsen wrote:

Apparently so. Since China put all the $$ in a giant honey pot and placed it on the highest shelf in it's kitchen, Youessians have been bartering bitcoins and chips of George Washington's false teeth for their necessary items. Five bees for a dollars worth of Washington's teeth, they'll say, wearing an onion on their belt, as is the style at this time.

Now, where was I? Oh yeah, the important thing is that I had an onion on my belt. We couldn't get any white onions, because of the war. So we had these big yellow ones.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitcoin Foundation is “effectively bankrupt,” board member says: Advocacy group's founders involved in crimes, bankruptcy, and offshore relocation.
Sam

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caimsen wrote:

its not really a big subject, but it was of particular bizarre fascination to me and plenty of other nerds who had been following the bitcoin story through all its conspicuous dysfunction and fraud. so i made a thread about it, like ya do.

and this one stuck around a while.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so rand paul is accepting campaign donations in bitcoins....
KillAllMen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
so rand paul is accepting campaign donations in bitcoins....

A politician grabbing money any way they can?

Where's my fainting couch?
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not just money, but money that is ultimately untraceable. and subject to wild fluctuations in value (one is guessing that they hope: up).

although the fact that he does this just as bitcoin is collapsing is somewhat amusing. rand paul, on the forefront of a dying technology!
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear he's launching his MySpace page any day now, and campaign offices will come pre-installed on Magellan GPS'.
Sam

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogecoin's founder left him

http://www.coindesk.com/dogecoin-founder-bitcoin-toxic/?utm_content=buffer53767&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
Pineapple

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

although the fact that he does this just as bitcoin is collapsing is somewhat amusing. rand paul, on the forefront of a dying technology!

Wasn't bitcoin just kind of bumbling along like it always has when this was posted? Some booms, some busts, some dubious activity, some scandals, a primary use as a game for speculators, lack of government support, questionable long-term value, zero protection against fraud or other losses...

I'm just not really comfortable with the phrase "just as bitcoin is collapsing" when bitcoin hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. Its overall trend has resembled exponential decay ever since the last major speculator-driven price increase in late 2013, over a year ago (and the decay has proven to be much slower than the increase, so I guess their ploy has been successful?). Nothing "just as" about it, on any relevant time scale.
Sam

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's generally been one long slow collapse over the last business year. I tend to think something is actively collapsing if it's still losing major portions of its value Ina sustained fashion monthly or so
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 47 of 49

Jump to: