Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bitcoins! Cargo Cult Economy of the Future!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if I am recalling that story correctly, what it was is that it was not like he was one of those bitcoin fanatics or herd speculators or anything, he was just this average dude who had been playing around with bitcoin when it was a little known novelty experiment, but he didn't otherwise care because this was the time where people were doing things like buying a pizza for 10k bitcoins.

He didn't really give a shit about the file or the many thousands of bitcoins he had mined and at some point he cleaned up his house and got rid of some of his old computer shit and dumped the old drive.

Later on bitcoin became the speculative bubble we've all watched and the price per bitcoin went up past a thousand dollars and he realized "oh shit that hard drive i threw away is worth almost ten million dollars holy shit fuck shit shit fuck"

i mean that's got to be an awful feeling. ah, such is life.
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been a while since bitcoin showed up on my news feed, ay

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-bitcoin-exclusive-idUSKBN0TS0AB20151209#p7hGeKr6YgKhcQEt.97

Quote:

Australian police raided the Sydney home and office on Wednesday of a man named by Wired magazine as the probable creator of bitcoin and holder of hundreds of millions of dollars worth of the cryptocurrency, Reuters witnesses said.

More than a dozen federal police officers entered a house registered on the electoral roll to Craig Steven Wright, whom Wired outed as the likely real identity of Satoshi Nakamoto, the pseudonymous figure that first released bitcoin's code in 2009.

Locksmiths broke open the door of the property, in a suburb on Sydney's north shore. When asked what they were doing, one officer told a Reuters reporter they were "clearing the house".

ADVERTISING

A reporter who approached an office listed as the location of two of Wright's registered businesses, DeMorgan Ltd and Panopticrypt Pty Ltd, in another Sydney suburb, was turned away by police with one officer saying: "There's an operation going on at the moment, I can't answer any questions." Several police officers could be seen speaking with workers inside.

The identity of Satoshi Nakamoto has long been a mystery that journalists and bitcoin enthusiasts have tried to unravel.

The police raids in Australia came hours after Wired magazine and technology website Gizmodo published articles saying that their investigations showed Wright, an entrepreneur and academic, was most probably the secretive bitcoin creator.

Wright is the chief executive of Australian-registered DeMorgan Ltd, which he describes on his Linkedin page as "a pre-IPO Australian listed company focused on alternative currency".

The Australian Federal Police (AFP) said in a statement that the officers' "presence at Mr. Wright's property is not associated with the media reporting overnight about bitcoins".

The AFP referred all inquiries about the raids to the Australian Tax Office, which said it could not comment on "any individual's or entity's tax affairs" due to legal confidentiality.

Emails to various addresses listed for Wright did not receive a reply.

The Wired and Gizmodo investigations were based on leaked emails, documents and web archives, including what was said to be a transcript of a meeting between Wright and Australian tax officials.

"Either Wright invented bitcoin, or he's a brilliant hoaxer who very badly wants us to believe he did," Wired said.

Read more at Reutershttp://www.reuters.com/article/us-australia-bitcoin-exclusive-idUSKBN0TS0AB20151209#xwbdTcZLTLIIituL.99

Whut
Pineapple

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bitcoin dev: "bitcoin is dead, goodbye bitcoin" https://medium.com/@octskyward/the-resolution-of-the-bitcoin-experiment-dabb30201f7#.uo6801st9

"that's whiny ragequitting lol u mad brah u tried a hostile takeover and failed brah" https://medium.com/@bramcohen/whiny-ragequitting-cab164b1e88#.tmwmp72x0

"nah bitcoin not dead brah" https://medium.com/@Technomage/bitcoin-has-now-died-89-times-274df173c246#.dpjlnip6v
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure this is good for bitcoin because reasons
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorta related to bitcoin

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/19/hospital-ransomware-a-chilling-wake-up-call/

dat shit's colllllllllld
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so apparently these are still real enough at the moment to be stolen....

at the time of the theft, the units stolen were worth "tens of millions of dollars". not sure what they are worth now.
binarystep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget, what's the current reason to hate Bitcoins?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be in proportion to the hype enthusiasts have been spreading about Bitcoin.

binarystep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
It seems to be in proportion to the hype enthusiasts have been spreading about Bitcoin.

That brings me to my next question.

Is Bitcoin even a thing anymore?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it still comes up in relation to ransomware payments occasionally

past that it sort of vanished from even my most grey-tribe feeds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49
Page 49 of 49

Jump to: