welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-05: Grand Theft Nation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cactuar wrote:
But can a shovel do this?

Another point to toasters.

If you hammered a design into it and heated it up, you could do that to toast with a shovel. You coud also do that to someone's face with a shovel.

Last edited by stripeypants on Mon May 06, 2013 5:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Maynar

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:

I love your brain. I want to hug it and squeeze it and pet it and call it George.

Will you be my friend?

Well you've got me eating out of your hand, if that helps any. Warner Brothers references make me all squishy.
Cactuar

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Cactuar wrote:
But can a shovel do this?

Another point to toasters.

If you hammered a design into it and heated it up, you could do that to toast with a shovel. You coud also do that to someone's face with a shovel.

Touche!
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
Or, Rothide, you could just leave on your own, but you clearly want some sort of reaction from us because you feel a need for validation. That's why you're trying to get us riled up instead of doing the sane thing and going on your merry way.

I also sincerely doubt that you have any desire to learn, because you probably didn't look up any of the things that were discussed. Otherwise, you would actually know what you're talking about.

I hope that works out for you.

I doubt he had any desire to learn because samsally and others with far more patience than I attempted to engage him back when he FIRST showed up to whine about how sinfest was making his manbits ache and absolutely nothing sank in.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
aboutwhistles wrote:
...you do realize child labor still happens, right? YES IN AMERICA TOO.

Specifically, Newt Gingrich wants poor children to replace the janitorial staff in schools, so they can learn the value of hard work.

And get fucking paid the janitors wage for it too, there's a difference between mopping a floor and going inside a stuck machine and getting mutilated. Yes it would be mandatory, but so is homework, and no one gets upset about improving yourself that way.

Ah but research shows that the master janitor runs the machinery, I see the problem here, my mistake, still maybe you could take a bit of the pay for floor moping and give it to the kids to work.

What in the flying fuck...?

I was always under the impression that school was for learning, not doing menial labor because the government is too fucking cheap to pay a janitor.

Quite obviously I went to school all wrong, I should have been mopping the halls rather than learning that 1+1=2.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids could teach, too, ad savethe government boatloads of money. I can hear thetittering now in student-led sex ed.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick off topic question stripey; Is Welsh your native language? If so, that's really cool.
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

I doubt he had any desire to learn because samsally and others with far more patience than I attempted to engage him back when he FIRST showed up to whine about how sinfest was making his manbits ache and absolutely nothing sank in.
Hell yeah. Heck, I debated with him...and back when I cared enough to come debate, I was patient and overly-explanatory about every. fucking. thing. That shit got old with most of the people posting like that never actually listening. I don't bother now. =P

Besides, what more can I add to this conversation, as our world is apparently awesome now and has no reminiscence of the "old world" evils that once plagued our fair lands.

We definitely don't have a school in Georgia that was still practicing segregated prom! (So much so that when the King and Queen of previous years weren't of the same race, they couldn't even take PICTURES together)

Also, kind of random note here, but the whole "women can't manage moneys" thing from earlier in the thread made me think about 5 years ago, when my wife and I just got married, she switched her car over from being insured under her families plan to get it insured herself at State Farm with me, and the insurance was put in MY NAME. They stated there that the insurance is always primarily under the husband's name. I was like...WTF! Are you serious? It's HER CAR! Not sure if that was a local thing or bigger, but I remember it as one of those random stupid things.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Quick off topic question stripey; Is Welsh your native language? If so, that's really cool.

It isn't, but that would be cool. Smile I have Welsh heritage, and since most of my family are horible people I'll never talk to, I figured learning it would be a way to have soe sense of history.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread didn't even reach 20 pages, geeze.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, Rothide may return or a new, fresh dudebro might come by to entertain us.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, it's not a bad idea in principle, just the way Newt wanted to do it that makes it horrible.

I've been teaching in Japanese public schools for the last five years, we don't have any janitors, and the kids clean the schools. They work in groups of 4-8, each with an assigned area(usually small) or classroom, and the areas rotate between groups so no one gets stuck with a less desirable beat.

They do the cleaning every day after school or before the free period at lunch, depending on which schedule, and report to a teacher when they're done. The area I supervise is one hallway and a flight of stairs. With four people doing it it takes 5-10 minutes, and I do think it encourages responsibility, and pride in one's school, not to mention disinclination to do "hilarious" things that, in American schools would only result in more work for the janitors (the servant class), and after all, what are they there for anyway? /sarcasm

We don't have lunch staff here either, the food is catered in by a centralized lunch center and the students serve it and pack the dishes up afterwards. All very smooth and takes no time at all.

But everyone does it, not just the unworthy poor. ** I really admire a lot of the ways that the Japanese system encourages cooperation and a sense of social obligation to your fellow humans. I think there's a lot the American system could learn from that. (Though don't get me wrong, the Japanese system is far from perfect.)

**ugh, just the idea that the only thing wrong is that these children don't have role models for "hard work". As if! The problem is that they have excellent role models for working yourself to death and getting nearly nothing for it.

[/i]
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's more to being a school janitor than just cleaning the hallways.

They deal with the heating system, the hotwater boiling system, and the circuit breaker panels, they clean up things that could potentially hurt children (such as broken glass), deal with graffiti (which generally requires power buffing and/or repainting), look over safety gear like fire extinguishers and sprinkler systems to make sure everything is up to date, then at the end of the day they have to turn everything off, lock everything up, and set the alarms.

None of those asks are really the sort of things kids should be forced to deal with; they are dangerous, time consuming, and need to be left to someone who knows how to deal with them.

As for food staff, my elementary school didn't have a cafeteria, and my high school's cafeteria was run by students from the Food Industry class under the supervision of the teacher.

I'd also point to the overall mean average school size (total pupils/total schools), which is lower in Japan than it is in the USA.

I'm also rather confused as to what you are referring to when you mention the "servant class" and "unworthy poor". I dunno about the US or Japan but school janitors can make some decent money up here.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
This thread didn't even reach 20 pages, geeze.

stripeypants wrote:
Don't worry, Rothide may return or a new, fresh dudebro might come by to entertain us.

I can make up some similarly stupid stuff to get the conversation going, you guys' debates are always interesting and entertaining to watch. Wink
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
I can make up some similarly stupid stuff to get the conversation going, you guys' debates are always interesting and entertaining to watch. Wink

...It's not a task for anyone. Rothide carried a very special kind of nonsense and spite in him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 15 of 17

Jump to: