welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-05: Grand Theft Nation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ktern

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Also laughing at the 'it's just a game' nonsense. Brb, I'll make a game with black women who beat up white guys and cut off their dicks. Why so offended? It's just a game!

can you please really make this game
cleocatra

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also something that no-one has mentioned yet, is that Nephew Sam or w/e a young sam should be called has removed the woman's hijab and then it says "To the victor goes the spoils" so because he's destroyed the country he then gets the women? And not just that, he removes part of her clothing which is not part of his views. If someone wears a hijab as part of their culture, then removing it is basically like ripping off a nun's hood. Even if it falls off as shown, it's still programmed into the game.

Thinking about this strip there's commenting on recent wars, where people have been bombed in the name of liberty and freedom. So Sam is playing this for Liberty but truly Liberty doesn't like it. She doesn't like when that guy is bound to a chair and beaten up, and she outright hates the game enough to unplug it when it seems at the end of all of this one-sided violence, the victor gets the spoils, which in this case is an enslaved/chained up woman who gets her headscarf removed. All of which is likely to be against her will. So because Liberty is for freedom, she unplugs the game to stop it all. Even if you think it's just a game, the ideals in the game can be transferred even if the blatant violence isn't. If you've played Bioshock Infinite, you'll know about how a video game can really make you talk about ideas.

Nephew Sam might not see what's wrong, because he's just having a great time, beating up those brown dudes in Otherstan and getting the girl, but if the game/war is no longer for Liberty, then isn't it apt that Liberty tries to stop it?
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
Technically, she ruins the result of gameplay time from the last save point. While a 12 year old probably won't use their time to earn enough to afford a car in this amount of time, she's still ruining the result of time investment (and time can be money), so yes, she screws stuff up in the same manner as setting a car on fire.

....this has to be a joke. There's no goddamned way this is serious.
Cactuar

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Zhuinden wrote:
Technically, she ruins the result of gameplay time from the last save point. While a 12 year old probably won't use their time to earn enough to afford a car in this amount of time, she's still ruining the result of time investment (and time can be money), so yes, she screws stuff up in the same manner as setting a car on fire.

No you see, you just fail to comprehend how heinous an act that was.

Like when there's a power outage and I lose my place in my video game...

that?

That is just as bad as losing my car to arson. I'm contemplating it right now and it chills me. I just don't know what I'd ever do if I had to re-play three hours of a video game.
Cactuar

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I mean, at least my car is insured! You can't insure save points!
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Zhuinden wrote:

In its psychology, it is the same.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phox wrote:
The ideals of the nation set against the realism of what the nation has become and must do to continue or what it thinks it must do to continue.

Dunno what to say here, what i see is liberty looking at a video game and having a moment of not differentiating between reality and what you do in your day to day life and what you do to blow off steam in escapism. For example i know a 12 year old choir boy who does a lot of volunteer work and is a really nice person in his public life! I have never heard more racist and hateful things come out of any living person's mouth when he plays modern warfare online.

Still is sam mad? is he more "wtf?" I'm willing to bet at the end he doesn't know what he did wrong

And the moral is? A racist shitbag is still a racist shitbag even if they go to church? Good point, well made.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh Zhuinden you have rapidly just become the WORST. A b*tch? I don't know if I hate you more because you said it or because you sensored it, which makes you seem even more like a weird, grotesque man-baby.

Game progess lost = car set on fire? Are you a fucking idiot?
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reader1 wrote:
Where the HECK are their parents!?

They're somewhere else in the house. We only see one room, after all.

Besides, who do you think bought Li'l Sam that game? His parents, or some other adults. Li'l Sam's attitude here is hardly unique to children.

It's entirely believable (to me) that adults would buy that game for a child because they (the adults) support the politics of the game and they want the child to get with the program as soon as possible.

We haven't yet had much criticism of the fact that Tat is implying that the political scenario within the game is "bad" but I'm sure we will soon.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
uhhh Zhuinden you have rapidly just become the WORST. A b*tch? I don't know if I hate you more because you said it or because you sensored it, which makes you seem even more like a weird, grotesque man-baby.

Game progess lost = car set on fire? Are you a fucking idiot?

She could have just walked out, or said something. This is just unproductive and stupid.
Kendra

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden.
The point being made by this comic is that this is actually happening. This truly is happening. Young soldiers are going off into war, killing random people, raping women, and doing whatever they please. Innocent people are being interrogated and tortured, sent off to Guantanamo Bay with no trial. The video game is just a metaphor for what is happening, and liberty, being liberty, finds it repulsive.
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Kendra said. Uncle Sam and Liberty are already metaphors for a country as it is and a county's ideals, as has already been said many, many times. Of course their actions are metaphorical. So, IT'S NOT REALLY ABOUT A VIDEO GAME. Gosh.
Rothide

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To totally honest though, were not seeing the bad side of liberty either. And yes she did have a bad side in her younger days.

I mean she basically told Sam "Cut off ties your parents, all they do is take your money without you having any say on what it is spent on, and if they try to take you back, fight them to stay independent."

She then went over to France and told the people there how Sam stood up for himself, and that the downtrodden could cast off their using oppressors the same way. She didn't really intervene either when the Reign of Terror started.

(All these things were done in the name of Liberty, and if were really going to use Sam as a catch all of all the evils 'he' has done, then Liberty shouldn't be left alone because it is a 'high ideal')
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maaaaaybe... except holding Uncle Sam responsible for the things he (we) have done is not really the same as holding Liberty responsible for the things done in her name. Otherwise God would be one horrible, murderous fuck.
Rothide

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Maaaaaybe... except holding Uncle Sam responsible for the things he (we) have done is not really the same as holding Liberty responsible for the things done in her name. Otherwise God would be one horrible, murderous fuck.

But it wasn't done in her name, it was done to get her. She would not come to those places if these actions were not done. That does not mean the later action wasn't horrible, but if it wasn't done, liberty would never have went there.

It is true that Blood is the price of liberty. Either your own or that of your oppressors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: