welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Sinfest have a message?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does Sinfest have a primary message? has it ever?
Sinfest has never had a message
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Sinfest has always had the same message
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Sinfest has always had a message but that message has changed over time
60%
 60%  [ 24 ]
Sinfest didn't have a message but now it does
20%
 20%  [ 8 ]
Sinfest used to have a message but now it doesn't
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 40

Reader1

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Does Sinfest have a message? Reply with quote

feel free to explain your answer
Valerie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it didn't have a message before (it was more of a gag-a-day thing for a long time), but it's gotten more serious about social issues.

Chat About
Arthain

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice is other. I believe it's had a theme, a message, but the message differs from strip to strip and some don't even have a message at all.

Those options are all too general for me to choose any.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm impressed by the thoroughness of the options, but there should be an "I don't know," or, "other" response.

Of course, if you think Sinfest doesn't generally have a message now you... I don't know. You're odd, though.
Jody

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's had the same message, tho that message has changed.

I don't mean to speak for Tat, but what I get out of Sinfest is that it's about how he grapples with the differing cultural and religious values of the two worlds he's a part of. And along the way he's learned things about himself, and changed direction when that calls for it.

I could be completely off the mark, of course. And if so I hope he corrects me on it. But that's how it seems to me, and I appreciate him for it. Smile
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was always a vehicle for Tat's view of the world - some of it the way he'd like things to be and some of it the way things are. Tat has changed, so the message has changed.

And I don't just mean Tat has become a feminist. I think the strip really started to change when really beautiful things would be interspersed with gags. Mostly I'm thinking of a butterfly flying around (My memory is hazy on the context) and more scenes with the characters just chilling and remarking on being peaceful.

I think that was part of Tat figuring out what he wanted to say. And extrapolating from the essay he links to on the front page, it seems like he didn't know what he wanted to do in the industry for awhile either. Now it seems he knows. (Mostly.)

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Sinfest used to be a gag comic, it always had a message under it all: Sinfest is about the struggle between good and evil, personal (Slick), ideological (Buddha's adherence to balance) and literal (Jesus vs. the Devil)

Evil is getting a more concrete face now in the Patriarchy. No longer is the fight against abstract ideas but there's a present enemy with parallels in our World. I never get tired of saying, though, that this is not the first time this is seen in Sinfest. The Enemy had taken the shape of wars and pollution in the past. All in all, Tat's finding new themes. But the message remains the same.

It can't be by chance that God, the Dragon, Jesus or Buddha have taken a back seat. The Devil's there as a representation of the current, otherwise invisible opponent. Such opponent, though, now has a real parallel. It's up for the non-religious characters to fight the battle.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This strip most certainly has a message, and it definitely has changed over time. The theme is still about good and evil, but the FOCUS itself has shifted, as if he had evolved into a different thought of what constitutes good and evil. But I think it's pretty safe to say that he has a definite message, and that he isn't too subtle with that message either, but he tries to make it so that it is enjoyable for everyone...

Unless they are absolutely opposed to his values. Then he uses them as material. Razz

Edit: And Leohan brings up a good point. There hasn't been that much deity interaction and I wonder if that is the reason why. It's a shame the dragon hasn't been around for so long.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tat's message is: You guys overanalyze things WAY too much.
crayven

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no "message", it was just poking fun at everything and everyone.
Even feminism.

Now all of the sudden we're "sirios biznis" and everyone has fallen into "lawful good" or "chaotic evil" lines.
Strawberrycocoa

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about this during a road trip last week actually. I started reflecting on Sinfest as I drove, and I came to a conclusion about my personal view on the strip.

I believe that while the particulars have shifted over time, Sinfest's message is largely the same as it always has been: The ones in power are out of hand. The People need to rise up, make their will known and their message heard.

Viva La Resistance.
John in Tronna

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, if you tilt your head to the right when you look at the results, the bar graph looks like it's flipping you the bird.

I'm hopin' that's not the message... Wink
crayven

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John in Tronna wrote:
You know, if you tilt your head to the right when you look at the results, the bar graph looks like it's flipping you the bird.

I'm hopin' that's not the message... Wink

Hahaha this comment is so much win !

Can't un-see the picture now xD
Finnegan

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Tat's message is: You guys overanalyze things WAY too much.

this. this right here.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Jonin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it always had a message and the message changed from day to day. And also from viewer to viewer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: