welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-09: Madam and Eve
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
What happena my handle?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd pretty much decided I was hate-reading Sinfest, but this one was good. Tat seems to be getting some hits in on himself and his "new feminist base."

Wow, I sound like a vengeful MRA. Heh. Well, it's not that; rather, I like to see perspective.
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re "I hate men", this post from TeaLeafPrincess on tumblr feels relevant:

"My mom and I had a brief discussion about misandry last night. She asked me, ďWhy do you hate men?Ē

And I was like, ďWell, itís a joke.Ē A tongue-in-cheek thing that feminists like to do on the internet.

And she said, ďNo itís notóyou mean it.Ē

Which is true. I do mean it. So I elaborated: Most men are misogynists; even if you canít tell right away, just give them a little time, and itíll come out. I hate that itís so scary to be a woman. I hate rape culture. I hate the wage gap. I hate slut-shaming. So itís like, I hate men as an institution; I hate the patriarchy.

But that hatred does extend to quite a few individual men. I hate some of the dudes in my film class. In fact, I hate a lot of the guys Iíve gone to school with over the years. I hate some of my exes. Of course, there are men who I donít hateóI love my dad heaps. Heís great. At least one of my male cousins is a really cool guy. My most recent exÖ well, thatís complicated.

Anyway, I observed to my mother that the big difference between misogyny and misandry is that misogynists donít see women as human, whereas misandrists just see men as bad humans."
Rune

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is fun.
Alpha Aim

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprised that God's pandering to his current audience. Maybe he's like that when it comes to puppets.
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, so when it's characters you like it's cute and funny and charming, but when it's characters you don't like, it's 'pandering', is it?
Alpha Aim

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aboutwhistles wrote:
Oh, so when it's characters you like it's cute and funny and charming, but when it's characters you don't like, it's 'pandering', is it?

Whoa whoa slow down, I always imagined that God changes his schtick for no one. Either they don't like it or they do. Unless he has done this before (which I might have forgotten...)
Besides, I have no opinion on these three. I tend to ignore them when they show up.
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2009-05-14.gif

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv280/Random_Duckie/Random%20Photos/EmoGod2.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv280/Random_Duckie/Random%20Photos/EmoGod4.jpg

God's always adapted his shows to his audience....
Alpha Aim

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not buying the first one. Feels like one of those "God messes with someone" strips. Like the "Rock your world" one.
The second one... maybe. though was there a prior performance that Nique did not like, that caused him to change?
Third one. Can't believe I forgot about it! Gave me a chuckle when I was feeling down...

Still not what I was looking for, but looking at these strips makes me think he might've changed his act when criticized before.

For example, he starts off with a Lil'E impersonation, then seeing Lily (Not sure on post-Lethe name...) react badly to it, he changes it. Is there a strip like that?

Off topic: Is might've correct?

Edit: Man this one takes me back!

Smooshie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aboutwhistles wrote:
Re "I hate men", this post from TeaLeafPrincess on tumblr feels relevant:

"My mom and I had a brief discussion about misandry last night. She asked me, ďWhy do you hate men?Ē

And I was like, ďWell, itís a joke.Ē A tongue-in-cheek thing that feminists like to do on the internet.

And she said, ďNo itís notóyou mean it.Ē

Which is true. I do mean it. So I elaborated: Most men are misogynists; even if you canít tell right away, just give them a little time, and itíll come out. I hate that itís so scary to be a woman. I hate rape culture. I hate the wage gap. I hate slut-shaming. So itís like, I hate men as an institution; I hate the patriarchy.

But that hatred does extend to quite a few individual men. I hate some of the dudes in my film class. In fact, I hate a lot of the guys Iíve gone to school with over the years. I hate some of my exes. Of course, there are men who I donít hateóI love my dad heaps. Heís great. At least one of my male cousins is a really cool guy. My most recent exÖ well, thatís complicated.

Anyway, I observed to my mother that the big difference between misogyny and misandry is that misogynists donít see women as human, whereas misandrists just see men as bad humans."

Is it at all possible that the current understanding of misogynists, at least in the NATO countries, needs to be updated a little?

I love you.
Istancow

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My! Things have happened since last I logged in.

It's fun watching (well... reading) Shadowcell and crayven go at each other.

I feel like a Roman citizen watching a gladiatorial combat.
Istancow

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do sort of agree that if a misogynist is one who sees women as subhuman, then the term "misogynist" is thrown about a tad too often, and used to describe people it ought not to be used to describe.

I wouldn't agree with that definition of misogynist, though.

I think misogynist should simply refer to someone who dislikes/looks down upon women as a gender, and that misandrist should be used to refer to someone who dislikes/looks down upon men as a gender.
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There are the persistent, tiresome pronouncements of similitude between men's and women's experiences, the belligerent insistence that handsome men are objectified by women, too! that women pinch men's butts sometimes, too! that men are expected to look a certain way at work, too! that women rape, too! and other equivalencies that conveniently and stupidly ignore institutional inequities that mean X rarely equals Y. And there are the long-suffering groans that meet any attempt to contextualize sexism and refute the idea that such indignities, though grim they all may be, are not necessarily equally oppressive."

from the wonderful essay, here: http://www.shakesville.com/2009/08/terrible-bargain-we-have-regretfully.html
Smooshie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. Thanks for giving me things to read! Mr. Green

I love you.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want God to make more puppet shows like this!

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reader1

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aboutwhistles wrote:
God's always adapted his shows to his audience....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: