welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-09: Madam and Eve
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Thanks for the link, Dogen. I remembered that study happened, but not much about it. It is really infuriating that this is such a problem.

But as I was saying to someone the other day, when I get stuck down in the muck of racism, I just remember that in the news people all over the US get to see a happy, successful black family in a position of power - and those images will be persisting after Obama's presidency is over. I am hopeful that alone should do a lot to counteract stereotypes.

I was actually looking for an older study that had the same basic idea and results, but had something to do with forwarding mail (a scholarship, I think). Anyway, I would like to see this study repeated in a few years... I don't actually have high hopes about how it would turn out, though.
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking God is making fun of the Sisterhood and so is Tat and they're not getting the joke any more than Squig and Slick do when God mocks them..
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WellYesYouMay wrote:
Again, before the popcorn pops, I still think they're just goofing off. Even the "Kill all men". I think god it satirizing them, and they're in on the joke and rolling with it. And rock on to 'em for it. You should be able to laugh at yourself.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you've never seen what you look like sleepin'." -- Harry Anderson (comedian and actor)
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
crayven wrote:
And then cheering for a lesbian couple - of which one woman seems to be a deranged psychotic.

Dude, the lesbians are literally only in one panel. The long haired puppet of the first panel is Eve. Long haired puppet in the third panel is a female Jesus. There is literally nothing for you to deduce that one of them seems to be a deranged psychotic.

So, apparently he's, in effect, calling Jesus Christ a deranged psychotic. Gee, I wonder what that should be taken to mean.

Oh, that's right. Nothing. Wink
mouse

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, he _is_ the one who said he came bearing a sword. which is pretty agressive, to say the least.

then again, his dad was a real terror.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Miss Magenta wrote:
crayven wrote:
And then cheering for a lesbian couple - of which one woman seems to be a deranged psychotic.

Dude, the lesbians are literally only in one panel. The long haired puppet of the first panel is Eve. Long haired puppet in the third panel is a female Jesus. There is literally nothing for you to deduce that one of them seems to be a deranged psychotic.

So, apparently he's, in effect, calling Jesus Christ a deranged psychotic. Gee, I wonder what that should be taken to mean.

Oh, that's right. Nothing. Wink

Or perhaps more interesting that crayven didn't think it was psychotic until the words were uttered by a woman. Or maybe he doesn't know his Bible. Crayven, do you think Jesus was a psychopath for saying that in Matthew 10:34?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, are we still hung up on that quote?

Me, on page two wrote:
Leohan wrote:
The implications in that 3rd panel are... less than ideal. Then again, I think that God's just poking fun at them in turn.

it's just a slightly modified Jesus quote

just because the quote itself is revealing of what Christianity's really about doesn't mean it's particularly meaningful here

But yeah, Jesus isn't all bad. At the very least, according to some interpretations of the mythology, he serves as at least some manner of buffer zone between some chosen few and his even more deranged dad (at least so long as they're willing to prostrate themselves to the threat of infinite violence and even convince themselves that they love the source of that threat more than anything else).
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On another note, Xanthe seems to have bounced back okay from her encounter with mob violence and "Slick" (actually Devil Slick) failing to come to her assistance. No obsessing over weeks-old continuity for her, no indeed. Wink

Dogen wrote:
Or perhaps more interesting that crayven didn't think it was psychotic until the words were uttered by a woman. Or maybe he doesn't know his Bible. Crayven, do you think Jesus was a psychopath for saying that in Matthew 10:34?

Just to be nitpicky, there's a difference between "psychotic" and "psychopath." Per Wikipedia:

psychotic
Psychosis refers to an abnormal condition of the mind, and is a generic psychiatric term for a mental state often described as involving a "loss of contact with reality".

whereas

psychopath
Psychopathy is a personality or mental disorder characterized partly by antisocial behavior, a diminished capacity for remorse, and poor behavioral controls.

So, you know, whatever.

Another notable alleged Jesus sentiment (really, we've only got the Gospel writers' "word" that Jesus said any of that stuff) is the part about how one must hate their families in order to love God (or words to that effect, I'm sure somebody around here is familiar with the exact passage). So much for family values.

I vaguely remember a sequence in which Jesus told his own mother that she wasn't Jesus's family, the disciples were (or words to that effect, I'm sure somebody around here is familiar with the exact passage). How Manson-ian.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That quote about how Mary isn't Jesus' family would be great for a Mother's Day card.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As another version of the alleged difference, from the Law & Order episode "Asylum":

Dr. Elizabeth Olivet: Psychotic is when you believe the doorman was sent from Planet X to put mind control devices in your teeth. Psychopathic is when you blow the doorman away and take out twenty other people while you're at it.

===

addendum:

VMMM

KSHHHH

PLANET X NEEDS PSYCHOS
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
Eh, the sockpuppet argument doesn't really fly.

Well, except that once.

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=1972

And even that was less flying than falling with style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12
Page 12 of 12

Jump to: