welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is feminism anyway?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: What is feminism anyway? Reply with quote

But on a more serious note, what is it that you need to know about feminism to partake in a debate about it?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not taking Rush Limbaugh to be an authority on it is a good place to start
Him

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radical notion that women are people.
BiQ

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then the logic to deduce a little bit what that actually means. I see that tends to be where the actual fail usually comes in.
cleocatra

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my link
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a basic idea of what it is. If you don't have that, you need the barest of bones education.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progressive woman-centric human rights' movement. It sees the social (and for many, also the economic, although many defer back to the social) structure of Western society as being particularly damaging to women (men, too, but a lot of people seem to forget that in their anger). I... think that about sums it up?

I love you.
lol

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The central theme of feminism is social justice.

That said, feminism isn't one, unified monolith wherein everyone agrees about everything.

It's something scholars like J.K. Gibson-Graham have been critical about: certain discourses ignore the diversity within the feminist umbrella. Those women and David Graeber for example, relate feminism to their anti-capitalist politics.

Sinfest most often deals with a fairly topical brand of feminism. That's why I usually differentiate between mainstream feminism and other brands.
Smooshie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood social justice. It just seems like a whole lot of ruckus that only ends up making someone feel that they are better than other people.

I love you.
lol

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, women are better than men amirite?
Smooshie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol wrote:
Well, women are better than men amirite?

Laughing we're all pretty awful.
I meant on a personal level. Like, "Hah! You're a neener-neener-neener-head who enables toasters and I am a paragon of virtue or at least a much better person by comparison. Good job, me, for accomplishing oh-so-very-much on this glorious day of days" Razz
The difference between that and eliminating inequalities is like the difference between pouring gas or sand into the fuel tank of your car and trying to drive it.

I love you.
lol

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am completely confused right now. lol
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smooshie wrote:
I never understood social justice. It just seems like a whole lot of ruckus that only ends up making someone feel that they are better than other people.

We should totally just stick to disabled people, people of color, queer people, et all being treated as worse than other people. Because, after all, there is no inbetween whatsoever.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Social justice movements are going to be abrasive simply by existing, because they're fighting against the status quo, and that makes people uncomfortable. It is deeply uncomfortable to be told that the life you live supports exploitation and abuse of vulnerable minorities. However, your discomfort does not therefore invalidate the aims or accomplishments of said social justice movements.

Also, someone who is actively working to end discrimination, exploitation and abuse is better than someone who isn't, or doesn't even realize that's going on. Because.. yeah.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What is feminism anyway? Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
what is it that you need to know about feminism to partake in a debate about it?

The same thing you need to know about anything else to talk about it with some authority: education on the subject.

Anyone can talk about feminism. But if you don't have some fundamental education, if you haven't spent a lot of time talking to feminists of various stripes, or reading their blogs, or watching their youtube videos, or reading their books, or going to hear them speak, then you can only know feminism in a superficial way. All superficial knowledge is inherently flawed, by virtue of being at the surface of something very deep. It can't reflect the nuance of what's beneath. Because in order to understand something requires time and effort. That's why people who say, "feminists believe..." invariably get thumped on the head, because feminism is like any other movement, filled with different groups with similar but different ideas, objectives and methods.

Which is why I don't often debate about what feminism is (I don't have that fundamental education yet - I'm still working on it) as much as I use what I do know - psychology and biology - to point out when people are talking out of their asses.

So now I think this thread should be a repository for links to educational material about feminism, so we can point people (like me) to it when they have questions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: