welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Amy's Baking Company sideshow
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: The Amy's Baking Company sideshow Reply with quote

You want a journey down several rabbit holes at once?

First, you read this facebook page, which, at time of posting, is active and completely insane:

https://www.facebook.com/amysbakingco

edit: TOO LATE, they deleted it all and claimed they had been haxored and the FBI is on the case. but here this suffices: http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/this-is-the-most-epic-brand-meltdown-on-facebook-ever

Then, while that puzzled look is still on your face, you get to watch the real human beings behind that facebook thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6LY7TJ16pg&feature=youtu.be

those poor servers. those poor literally anyone who has to deal with them, ever.

Last edited by Sam on Wed May 15, 2013 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you post this on facebook 9 hours ago and then post it here after someone else has already posted about it. Dude, you are losing your touch.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those people are so insane Gordon Ramsay walked out on them

Gordon "Hell's Kitchen" Ramsay
Sam

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
So you post this on facebook 9 hours ago and then post it here after someone else has already posted about it. Dude, you are losing your touch.

man, I lost my touch years ago, everyone knows that.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the good stuff has been deleted, but can still be found here.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i need to find you people on facebook
Azmoten

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit. How is this place still in business? It's like these people have taken every basic principle of running a restaurant and done the opposite. Incredible
CTrees

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't normally enjoy shows like that and I feel sorry for all involved since it seems like both owners need mental help. However, I am happy for the former employees and the patrons that this horrible crap went on display for the whole country to see. I hope they close down.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I don't normally enjoy shows like that and I feel sorry for all involved since it seems like both owners need mental help. However, I am happy for the former employees and the patrons that this horrible crap went on display for the whole country to see. I hope they close down.

At the risk of sounding like one of those "ALL AMERICAN TV IS TRASH" hipsters, the UK version of the show is much, much better. No annoying announcer (Gordon narrates), less focus on drama (the US version often cuts things to mislead or outright lie to the audience), and lots of sound business advice.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, a lot of the UK versions of American TV shows are better. Was the UK one around first?

That version sounds likes something I would prefer to watch. I tried watching Project Runway once upon a time because I enjoy making clothing and wanted to see professional people do it - but all the screaming was so grating. I much prefer the gimmick of making people wait till commercial to find out who won than DRAMA DRAMA OMG THESE PEOPLE ARE AWFUL DRAMA!

By the way, someone has made a petition for the US Department of Labor to investigate Amy's Bakery, because of the admitted tip theft.

http://www.change.org/petitions/the-us-department-of-labor-and-the-wage-and-hour-division-whd-investigate-amy-s-baking-company-bakery-boutique-bistro-in-scottsdale-az

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
No worries, a lot of the UK versions of American TV shows are better. Was the UK one around first?

Yup. It's on netflix if you get bored. There's still some drama, and of course Ramsey cursing like mad, but it's not over the top crazy like most of the US episodes.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Neflix for me anymore; they didn't have enough new non-woo documentaries to justify paying for it. But I bet I can find clips on youtube.

I expect some yelling for any show that has something to do with the restaurant business - and if he has to deal with horrifying gross kitchens with unsafe food and uncooperative people that invited him there, I can see why he would.

Edit: I am near finished with the first episode of the first season, and I really like it so far. It seems like he's not harsh when it's out of place - and omg one of the chefs fed him spoiled scallops. O_O
I really like the educational aspect of it, both about running a clean, good kitchen and running a good business.

So now I'm going to have to hunt out more episodes.

Also, I hope his taking his shirt off is part of every episode.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Arizona around the Phoenix area and I can't wait to head there. I'm going to take a long book and some kind of snack food to keep myself from dying of starvation. I'm doing it more out of morbid curiosity. I actually want to see how they are, and hopefully they are decent folks if you are patient enough to wait two hours for your food.

I didn't even realize it until I posted it up on my own facebook, but I had a friend that told me he WORKED there as a dishwasher. He said he lasted about three (or was it six) months before the crazy became too much.

Also, I feel a bit sorry for the owners. I never did any job where I received tips, so when I say their payment of $8-$14 an hour sounds pretty decent, I speak from ignorance (I'd probably take that alternative NOW since that restaurant is going to go into fast decline). It is super inherently dishonest that they don't let the customers know the servers don't get the tips.

They brought this on themselves, for sure, but I do hope the owners manage to fix it all up and get it running smooth. They are crazy, but its a bit sad to see someone being the subject of ridicule.

Edit: And here you go, Stripeypants. There's something up with the first part at the moment. No audio. So here's the second part and you can find the first easy enough. http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_9458&feature=iv&src_vid=G6LY7TJ16pg&v=XQDtoHpAWhg
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
No Neflix for me anymore; they didn't have enough new non-woo documentaries to justify paying for it. But I bet I can find clips on youtube.

I expect some yelling for any show that has something to do with the restaurant business - and if he has to deal with horrifying gross kitchens with unsafe food and uncooperative people that invited him there, I can see why he would.

Edit: I am near finished with the first episode of the first season, and I really like it so far. It seems like he's not harsh when it's out of place - and omg one of the chefs fed him spoiled scallops. O_O
I really like the educational aspect of it, both about running a clean, good kitchen and running a good business.

So now I'm going to have to hunt out more episodes.

Also, I hope his taking his shirt off is part of every episode.

The TV tropes page seems to imply his shirtless-ness is a common theme, though I have not had a chance to see the UK series yet.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: