welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Amy's Baking Company sideshow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
If a waiter touched my arm, I would freak out. And boobs do not motivate me in any particular way.

i would like to know what sort of people they surveyed.

Well, when we consider that it's still generally men that pay on dates, I assume a lot of the people were straight men. So boobs make sense, I think.

Now, is it right, I don't know.

Chat About
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusing on the boobs is silly - the whole thing is wrong (note - women tip male waiters more which is also sexist). Not that I have any ideas about fixing it except maybe abolishing it but really, I don't think that would work either.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also said women didn't tip more because of sexual attaction, which makes me wonder more about how the study was done.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Focusing on the boobs is silly - the whole thing is wrong (note - women tip male waiters more which is also sexist). Not that I have any ideas about fixing it except maybe abolishing it but really, I don't think that would work either.

Is it technically sexist? Wouldn't you expect to see gay men or lesbians more likely to tip people they are attracted to in the same way?
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

striperypants wrote:
If a waiter touched my arm, I would freak out. And boobs do not motivate me in any particular way.

i would like to know what sort of people they surveyed.

While we tend to assume that we're in the majority (and that makes a certain amount of sense), it's not always the case. You (and everyone who agrees with you) might actually be in the minority. I don't actually know anything about the psychology of tipping, though. Anyhow, here are a few of those journal articles mentioned in the link (it's not one study):
Make-up increases tipping behavior
Not mentioned, but this study found tipping was in part correlated with frequency of patronage, which makes economic sense (big tippers get better service if they're regulars, but not if no one remembers them).
This study says you should tell customers your name
Here's the study on breast size, though it was self-reported data, so the people they surveyed were the waitresses.

I didn't find the study about women tipping men more than they tipped women, though.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't mean everyone thinks like me. I just wanted to comment on the feelings boobs do not give me. Thank you for the links.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that didn't sound aggressive. I didn't mean anything by it, just that people often disagree with research and assume it has methodological flaws as a first resort. There are plenty of those to go around, but there are a lot of reasons a person might not agree with the results of a study, including just being outside the norm or the relevant population. Smile

Anyway, if all else is equal then people who aren't attracted to female sex characteristics should be tipping everyone relatively equally, right? So then the difference between large-chested and less-large-chested waitresses would be made up solely of those who are attracted to boobies.

I'm sure that I tip better with flirty waitstaff, which is total shit, but most of the time I'm not even aware of it. I just think, "I really liked that server!" Reciprocity takes mah money!
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it wasn't. I was just remembering loads of people announce, "Well I never do this and terefore no one else does!" and realized that's how my words sounded. And then I felt silly, because I should have stated it differently. I really wanted to make a good joke about how "boobs don't move me" and a good joke never came.

I am suspicious of the finding that women aren't motivated sexually to tip more, because there is a bias towards thinking women are not sexual beings, so I was curious what the circumstances around the study were.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Hah, that actually reminds me of when I was eating at Hooters as the only girl in a big group of dudes (not my choice of restaurant, this is what I get for jumping into a car of people I hardly know LOOK I WAS IN COLLEGE STOP JUDGING ME) and the waitress refused to acknowledge me to the point of looking actually begrudging when she had to take my order while continually bending over and rubbing against the guys. One of whom was in the habit of threatening to stab people when they entered his personal space from behind.

I'm actually really impressed she -didn't- get stabbed. He was gritting his teeth the whole time and clutching a fork.

I don't think I have ever heard of anybody going to Hooters and having a good time. Even from the sexist perspective they are always disappointed.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:

Is it technically sexist? Wouldn't you expect to see gay men or lesbians more likely to tip people they are attracted to in the same way?

Yeah, my whole response was intended to convey that no, it isn't a sexist problem in response to Valerie's statement. I didn't do a great job of conveying that.

edit ha, triple post fixed!

WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
I don't think I have ever heard of anybody going to Hooters and having a good time. Even from the sexist perspective they are always disappointed.

It depends on two factors, really.
1) How well your group of friends can get along and make each other laugh,
2) How much worse the food and service is at all the other "Wings 'n Beer" places around you.

And only the second one has any actual dependency on Hooters itself.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Nah, it wasn't. I was just remembering loads of people announce, "Well I never do this and terefore no one else does!" and realized that's how my words sounded. And then I felt silly, because I should have stated it differently. I really wanted to make a good joke about how "boobs don't move me" and a good joke never came.

I am suspicious of the finding that women aren't motivated sexually to tip more, because there is a bias towards thinking women are not sexual beings, so I was curious what the circumstances around the study were.

Yeah, the sample was all women, but I see what you mean. I wanted to find the study that found women tipped male waitstaff more, but didn't have time to hunt through the hundreds of articles on the subject. Journalists should be required to cite their work, dammit. If I can include citations in a forum post they sure as hell ought to.
Desire

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who used to wait tables, there are ways to get better tips from men (as a female) but there are also ways to get better tips from women (as a female). You just have to focus on different things.

On the other side of that, as a customer, I generally give 20% tip and go from there, more if service was great, less if it was poor. There has been a few times where I did not tip (and did not let Graeme) because the female waitress completely ignored me while flirting with him. Several years ago, while out with friends, we had a waitress give us all such absolutely horrible service that we left her two pennies... under an upside-down glass of water. I feel bad about that when I think about it, but I hope it at least caused her to think about why it happened.

I understand the difficulties of the job too well though to penalize wait-staff for things that are not their fault (like if the chef screwed up and the food itself isn't good). I love the idea of leaving a little note, not only for why they didn't get a full tip, but also for why they got an extra tip! I wish I had thought of it or read about it years ago! We rarely eat out now. But I already try to take the time to email companies when I get great service from cashiers and other store associates, and send messages to the chef (through the servers or hostess) if a meal is delicious, so it makes sense that I should be doing similarly for servers. Seriously, I can't believe this never occurred to me. Embarassed
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Amy's Baking Company wants to hire 30 people. The pay is fabulous! Guess how much!

$5 an hour.

Yup. Plus tips, they say, but how much do you want to bet they'll still pocket the tips of any employees?

http://consumerist.com/2013/05/20/amys-baking-company-needs-to-hire-30-people-held-weekend-job-fair/

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it's a dishwasher position. Good luck getting tips there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: