welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Amy's Baking Company sideshow
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:

Also, I feel a bit sorry for the owners. I never did any job where I received tips, so when I say their payment of $8-$14 an hour sounds pretty decent, I speak from ignorance (I'd probably take that alternative NOW since that restaurant is going to go into fast decline). It is super inherently dishonest that they don't let the customers know the servers don't get the tips.

In oregon, if you make minimum wage at our restaurant, on anything but the slowest day you can pull in 15 to 20+ dollars an hour when the tips are included. That sounds like a lot but frankly dealing with hungry and picky people makes it a fairly appropriate level of compensation. I can't imagine the tips there are particularly good with the kitchen troubles though, even when the owners aren't being nuts.

We aren't a particularly busy place either. But if you handle 4 to 6 tables an hour (which is a conservative estimate) and each table leaves 4 to 6 bucks as a tip it adds up. (which is generous generally if it's 2 people, but pretty standard at 3+)

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I'd already found and watched the episode.

Also, when you're working in such a fancy restaurant, $8 an hour is absolutely paltry. $14 is not much better.

In many places the wait staff make a super small minimum wage, like $3.00 an hour, because they are expected to make the rest up in tips. So when people talk about how they dutifully don't tip their wait staff, I cringe.

Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

Also, when you're working in such a fancy restaurant, $8 an hour is absolutely paltry. $14 is not much better.

In many places the wait staff make a super small minimum wage, like $3.00 an hour, because they are expected to make the rest up in tips. So when people talk about how they dutifully don't tip their wait staff, I cringe.

25% tends to be my baseline. Even if the service was crap-everyone has off days. (There has been.. maybe ONCE I have tipped under 25%.) Often, I trend towards 30% or more.
People that don't tip in this country (given how things work) are Jerks, n o matter what justification Mr. Pink gives.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Snorri

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

25% tends to be my baseline. Even if the service was crap-everyone has off days. (There has been.. maybe ONCE I have tipped under 25%.) Often, I trend towards 30% or more.
People that don't tip in this country (given how things work) are Jerks, n o matter what justification Mr. Pink gives.

LET US ALL HAVE A DISCUSSION ABOUT TIPPING BECAUSE IT WILL SURELY NOT END BADLY!

Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tipping is abysmal in this state. I guess as far as it goes, waitstaff's hourly wage is usually under minimum wage (like, depending on the place I've heard somewhere around $5 an hour) but if they don't make enough tips to get over federal minimum wage their employer has to fork over enough to not be breaking federal law.

Its... the height of bullshit. Couple with that how rare it is for people to tip over 20% in the area and working as waitstaff in a restaurant is basically one of the worst jobs. I have a lot of respect for anyone who puts up with that bullshit.
Valerie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of you look at the photos on the FB page? The descriptions do look a bit hack-ish...

Chat About
Valerie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

I do 15%, as is standard. Maybe it's different where you are?

If I'm having a particularly good day or if I really liked the staff, I'll throw in an extra dollar or two.

I worked with food until recently, so I like to make food workers happy whenever I can afford to. Once, my dad paid for the food, so I left the tip. Since he had paid for the food (which was about $70), I left a $20 bill (which is about 30%).

Another time, a waitress was collecting our dirty plates, and she accidentally spilled water on my friend. We had all put in a dollar or so to go toward her tip (it was a large group), so at this point, I said, "She gets an extra dollar for that!" while pulling one out of my wallet.

ANOTHER TIME, I was at this local Chinese place, and the guy in front of me was being a complete jackass, so I left $3 in their tip jar (for my $7.16 meal).

...What were we talking about?

Chat About
Gibson22

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pride myself on tipping well. Every so often I get a waiter (maybe once or twice a year) I really like and I tip him/her 50% on a pricey ticket. I did that on a $50 bill one time and it actually made me feel REALLY good. Made me feel like Santa Claus dropping off an awesome gift. Razz

That is probably the most I ever tip, but I always do 20% (because it's easier to do in your head rather than 17% which is the norm where I live) up to 30%. I have huge respect for good waiters. I think I posted it here once, but there was only one person I never tipped, and I asked my friends not to tip her either, because for no reason whatsoever (that I could see, anyway) she started to insult my choice of meal, said I seemed cheap, ACTUALLY said she wasn't going to expect a tip from me, and was being all around snarky. I didn't even do the jerk move of tipping a single penny to rub it in, although I WAS tempted.

Tipping is all habit to me. So, save for the nice restaurants I typically tip in this fashion:

If the whole price of the meal is under ten bucks I typically do three to four dollars, if it is under five (some cheap little dive pizza place) I do 50% or just two dollars.

Oh, but must times I go to a nice sit-down restaraunt where the price is going to be up there, I typically do 20%.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

I do 15%, as is standard. Maybe it's different where you are?

If I'm having a particularly good day or if I really liked the staff, I'll throw in an extra dollar or two.

I worked with food until recently, so I like to make food workers happy whenever I can afford to. Once, my dad paid for the food, so I left the tip. Since he had paid for the food (which was about $70), I left a $20 bill (which is about 30%).

Another time, a waitress was collecting our dirty plates, and she accidentally spilled water on my friend. We had all put in a dollar or so to go toward her tip (it was a large group), so at this point, I said, "She gets an extra dollar for that!" while pulling one out of my wallet.

ANOTHER TIME, I was at this local Chinese place, and the guy in front of me was being a complete jackass, so I left $3 in their tip jar (for my $7.16 meal).

...What were we talking about?

I am also probably overly generous, which is going to bite me in the ass one day, I am sure!
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They get tipped on their service, with accommodations made for the overall status of the restaurant.

20% is the go to, with +/- for service quality.

I'll also jot down why they get docked. Things like "rolling your eyes when I ask a question" or "20 minutes for you to acknowledge out presence" or my favorite "coughing on us (with out making an attempt to cover)"
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tipping has little to do with service and more to do with customer learned behavior and dirty tricks like big boobs

I'm linking an article instead of the bunch of scholarly articles that come up when you Google "tipping behavior."

CTrees

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
Tipping has little to do with service and more to do with customer learned behavior and dirty tricks like big boobs

I'm linking an article instead of the bunch of scholarly articles that come up when you Google "tipping behavior."

Man, the behaviors that article listed... they don't even remotely comport to my tipping habits. In particular, "touching a customer's arm."

stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a waiter touched my arm, I would freak out. And boobs do not motivate me in any particular way.

i would like to know what sort of people they surveyed.

Samsally

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, that actually reminds me of when I was eating at Hooters as the only girl in a big group of dudes (not my choice of restaurant, this is what I get for jumping into a car of people I hardly know LOOK I WAS IN COLLEGE STOP JUDGING ME) and the waitress refused to acknowledge me to the point of looking actually begrudging when she had to take my order while continually bending over and rubbing against the guys. One of whom was in the habit of threatening to stab people when they entered his personal space from behind.

I'm actually really impressed she -didn't- get stabbed. He was gritting his teeth the whole time and clutching a fork.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Hah, that actually reminds me of when I was eating at Hooters as the only girl in a big group of dudes (not my choice of restaurant, this is what I get for jumping into a car of people I hardly know LOOK I WAS IN COLLEGE STOP JUDGING ME) and the waitress refused to acknowledge me to the point of looking actually begrudging when she had to take my order while continually bending over and rubbing against the guys. One of whom was in the habit of threatening to stab people when they entered his personal space from behind.

I'm actually really impressed she -didn't- get stabbed. He was gritting his teeth the whole time and clutching a fork.

I wonder if he, too, did not know where the group was going.
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: