welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-18: Sinfest Fan Fiction 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These "Sinfest Fan Fiction" strips are incredibly amusing. I hope there will be more in the future. Embarassed
Mercian

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
Ya, this strip is a parody of fan fiction where a good half of all the stories are writers turning straight men gay and running them into each others arms.

There aren't even good plots for most of them, just mindless gay sex with some sort of incredibly fake relationship or improbable circumstance to try and 'justify' it -_-. I've tried to read a few of them, hoping they had at least decent plots but... ugh...

Maybe I just never found any good ones. I'll be honest I didn't really try very hard, after a dozen bad ones in a row I gave up.

There's plenty of great slashfic out there, and a lot of dross. If you're genuinely interested in finding it, good fic rec sites may be the way to go. Places like the GreyLaw database are pretty helpful. You can even find it on ff.net, and if you find one quality fic, you can often find your way to more via the author's favourites.

As for mindless gay sex, my one attempt at a long m/m fic ran to around 95,000 words and ended just after the characters first proper kiss, because I'm more interested in the story of how two people might come together than watching them... Um. Come together.

Out of curiosity, what fandom were you looking at?

Edited to add: there's lots of fic with mindless hetero sex in it, too. So is your objection more to the lack of good plot in sex-heavy fics, or the sexual orientation of the characters involved?
Arthain

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercian wrote:
Arthain wrote:
Ya, this strip is a parody of fan fiction where a good half of all the stories are writers turning straight men gay and running them into each others arms.

There aren't even good plots for most of them, just mindless gay sex with some sort of incredibly fake relationship or improbable circumstance to try and 'justify' it -_-. I've tried to read a few of them, hoping they had at least decent plots but... ugh...

Maybe I just never found any good ones. I'll be honest I didn't really try very hard, after a dozen bad ones in a row I gave up.

There's plenty of great slashfic out there, and a lot of dross. If you're genuinely interested in finding it, good fic rec sites may be the way to go. Places like the GreyLaw database are pretty helpful. You can even find it on ff.net, and if you find one quality fic, you can often find your way to more via the author's favourites.

As for mindless gay sex, my one attempt at a long m/m fic ran to around 95,000 words and ended just after the characters first proper kiss, because I'm more interested in the story of how two people might come together than watching them... Um. Come together.

Out of curiosity, what fandom were you looking at?

Edited to add: there's lots of fic with mindless hetero sex in it, too. So is your objection more to the lack of good plot in sex-heavy fics, or the sexual orientation of the characters involved?

More of the plot to be honest. I'm straight so I dislike M/M by nature but I can tolerate it provided the story itself is good and the relationship itself isn't the central focus of the story.

On that note ya, there are a lot of mindless hetero sex ones I walk away from. I'm a big Naruto fan but... when I walk into a fan fic and I see Hinata and Naruto making out within 2 chapters I close my browser and go scrub myself in the shower. Unless the chapters are like 100,000 words each that's just not going to happen.

I like realism, if it's fake I hate it, regardless of sexual orientation. It doesn't need to be perfect, god knows I'm not, but it needs to be at least believable in the setting the story is in.
Valerie

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Valerie wrote:

And yes, I'm pretty sure the entire point is the male audience, here. When these characters were men, no one cared about seeing them get it on, but as soon as they're made female, it becomes spank material.

WHAT.

DO YOU EVEN FANFICTION?

CLEARLY YOU DO NOT.

X3 I haven't for a very long time. I suppose within the medium of fanfiction it pretty commonly goes both ways.

In published works, though, it seems to be all about teh menz. 'Course, this strip is specifically labelled as fanfiction, soooo.

Chat About
merest

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so don't understand fanfiction. It consistently baffles me why people write or read it. I wonder whether it is purely a cultural phenomenon, or whether it partially has a genetic basis.
Arkhron

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am offensive and I find this strip christian! Razz

Be compassionate
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
o_o This is way better than the canon version.
How do you know that's not the way it happened with Joshua and Judah?

And yeah, Jessica is a dead wringer for "Mercy". I wonder if that means anything?

Last edited by tricksterson on Sat May 18, 2013 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
I so don't understand fanfiction. It consistently baffles me why people write or read it. I wonder whether it is purely a cultural phenomenon, or whether it partially has a genetic basis.

Here is a thing about fanfiction that someone more skilled than I wrote up.

Since the odds are high you won't even bother to click the link, I'll just say people write fanfiction because it's compelling in ways that original fiction cannot be.
merest

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
merest wrote:

Here is a thing about fanfiction that someone more skilled than I wrote up.

Since the odds are high you won't even bother to click the link, I'll just say people write fanfiction because it's compelling in ways that original fiction cannot be.

Oh dear. There is a lot I could say about that link about the differences between writers of fanfiction and 'Mundanes', but I suppose this isn't the place. It does explain a few things, though, so thank you for posting it.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You prefer the term muggle, then?

Oh and also, fanfiction actually goes back quite a ways. As does collaborative writing, which, if you start digging into fannon and other fanfiction concepts you start seeing the parallels.

Writers create new worlds. Readers experience them. Fanfic frolics in them and giggles weirdly.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes use the term muggle to mock people who are being uncool. Like, "Come on, we'll just have one drink and then go, don't be a muggle." Because I'm cool, see.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the term muggle because it's a sort of nod to the fact that, yes, really, we're all muggles in the can't-use-magic sense of the term* so I don't know, it's kind of like admitting we're the same while I still draw a line in the sand.

*Don't correct me if I'm wrong here the heartbreak would kill me.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about fanfic. I like using it for "uncool" because normally using a Harry Potter reference in many circles would be uncool. Also it means whatever I'm doing is fucking magical. Be there!
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanfic is kind of magical to me. It boggles my mind how people can hate it, but they are usually people that unwittingly stumbled onto badly written highschool AU's, werewolf fics, mpreg, or like that one really traumatizingly detailed fanart series of hogwarts faculty getting it on so I guess there is that.

Or they suffered through me laughingly try to explain why no really bad crossovers are the best thing ever you just have to go hunting for the weird ones TRUST ME OKAY while I quietly hide the fics I actually love because ahaha no. Sorry, that is a side of me you are not invited to laugh at.

(If you don't know what mpreg is don't look it up I would actually feel kind of guilty introducing someone to that for the first time.)
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seahorse fanfiction must be so weird
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: