welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-21: Hi Guys
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tekii

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: 2013-05-21: Hi Guys Reply with quote

All this cuteness is killing me. Just get a new handle Lil E, none will be the wiser about it.
merest

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums that are as negative as that can be interesting. Pharyngula (an atheist forum) can have that tone at times: when an occasional theist or unscientifical person appears, they pounce en masse, snarling. I always assume it's because the posters come from cultures where they must restrain their hostility at people whom they think are idiots, so that they get psychological release venting online.

I see that 'Lil' E's new hairstyle has stuck. Is it meant to be emo? It makes him look a little older.
Valerie

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, honeyyy. D:

Chat About
Psiwrite

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really makes me wonder how much Tat trawls the forums for inspiration in comic planning.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always feel bad whenever I see someone getting roasted by a forum community. I usually don't get involved, for fear of falling in the reticle myself.

But perhaps I should...

Last edited by Istancow on Tue May 21, 2013 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Rune

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe pre-lethe Lil'E acted like a total tool on those forums, nobody bought his act, and now his post-lethe self is reaping those consequences.

Innocent post-lethe Lily doesn't deserve the scorn, poor little guy.

Pre-lethe Lil'E kinda earned it.

There's probably some deep lesson about consequences in there.

As well as a stripping away of the poser-layer of thew character's personality, and getting to the core of him. He just wants to be liked. He went about it completely the wrong way in evil poser mode. Because innocent mode is vulnerable. Sad that innocent Lily got hurt. But hopefully without resorting to poser-mode, innocent Lily can continue to find the real acceptance he craves. He's already got a truer friend and a more authentic self than he did when he was being a jackass.

And hopefully having a jerkass devil dad doesn't squash that goodness and authenticity out of him again.

This is some pretty powerful character growth, yo.
Istancow

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't have wished it on Pre-lethe Lil' E either.

I haven't the stomach for just desserts.

Whether or not someone deserves the consequences of their actions makes little difference to me.

Virtue pursues no reward, and misdeeds require only prevention and reparation.

(I am aware that this is a naive view and that if some jerkass were pissing me off I'd probably eat my words and wish the bites of a million gnats upon that person, but that would make me angry, not right)
Rune

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gets a bit more complicated than that, though, doesn't it? When dealing with social interactions and toxic, trollish, toolish, or otherwise detrimental and dishonest interactions especially.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li'l E didn't seem to care as much pre-Lethe, but I wonder if that was just some repression of feelings or redirecting self loathing onto other people or something.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That comic is both sad and adorable.
Rune

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Li'l E didn't seem to care as much pre-Lethe, but I wonder if that was just some repression of feelings or redirecting self loathing onto other people or something.

That's what I'm thinking. Kid Lil'E obviously dealt with a lot of bullying and ostracization from both sides of his heritage as he was growing up, aside from also apparently having lost the mother who loved him and having a deadbeat dad. He probably never felt like he belonged, and the devil-poser personality was probably at least a partially constructed shell over his vulnerable and bruised real self. Pre-lethe Lil'E got plenty mad and vindictive at not being accepted, but his hurt got expressed as anger and vindictive aggression--things at least partially learned in self-defense of his real feelings and deeper sense of self.

What I'm thinking is that the lethe has mostly stripped away that constructed outer self that was both problem and protection.

That's really vulnerable. But it's also very real.

And yeah, I kinda want to hug Lily and tell him it's okay, and he's okay, and he doesn't need to play stupid impress-the-internet games in order to be liked. He's got Pebbles right there with him now, too.

(I still would have slapped Lil'E with a book on rhetoric and basic decency, the way he was interacting online before.)
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It reminds me of Bastien's journey in the Never Ending Story (The book, which was super amazing.). Bastien had to trade memories to embrace his wants in order to figure out wtf he was really about.

It's such a shame he didn't have a friend like Pebbles before. She's rather perfect as a friend for him, because she seems utterly unaware that there are expectations for devil people. I really wish we knew a little bit about her pre-devil life, because I'm curious whether she knew anything about that before being changed.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Gets a bit more complicated than that, though, doesn't it? When dealing with social interactions and toxic, trollish, toolish, or otherwise detrimental and dishonest interactions especially.

I dunno...

I don't feel like I should be angry about even that.

Doesn't really matter to me what assholes people are, or how much annoyance they are causing, I don't like hitting people just because they deserve it.

I suppose you could say it's for the good of the community, but that doesn't mean I have to approve of the means.

Maybe I should just stop being such a hippie and eat my asparagus.
Rune

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
It reminds me of Bastien's journey in the Never Ending Story (The book, which was super amazing.). Bastien had to trade memories to embrace his wants in order to figure out wtf he was really about.

It's such a shame he didn't have a friend like Pebbles before. She's rather perfect as a friend for him, because she seems utterly unaware that there are expectations for devil people. I really wish we knew a little bit about her pre-devil life, because I'm curious whether she knew anything about that before being changed.

I like to think that that's some of her real personality showing through, and she didn't just get transmogrified into a completely different person that effectively erased her old self. And the dialogue about how bomfing lets loose your inner devil suggests to me that that's the case. All the personality shifting is more or less a heavy re-prioritization or shift in balance of characteristics that already exist within someone.

Was it Miss M who suggested that Pebbles feral bomf'd self probably came from the suppressed rage of her pre-bomf Jesus-and-ponies self? Sounds plausible to me.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hippies eat asparagus.

I personally care whether a space is functional more than I care about getting revenge on trolls. It can be fun to snark with them, and it's a great use of stupid cleverness, like shouting obscenities into the void. But mostly my goal with trolls is to help them behave or make them entertaining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: