welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-22: Thing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Istancow

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry I'm not arguing, I'm just joking around.

You're not supposed to take anything I say seriously.

If I were to take this discussion seriously, I would have to assume a stance, and if I were to assume and assert a stance, then I would have to engage in debate and provide evidence and arguments in defence of that stance, and I'm lazy and I don't want to go through all that effort.
Rothide

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might get a laugh over the reactions of my last post, I'm sick of being yelled at for never doing research before I post so I'm making sure I have articles to back me up.

And don't worry, I enjoy a laugh to. And thats a pretty good stand to be in around here most of the time. I'm sticking my neck out right now. Though I am doing it to see the opposite side.
Istancow

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I won't yell at you. I'm in too good a mood to yell at anyone today.
Rothide

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a bit of a sour mood,might be why I'm throwing my idea's out there though. Just found out about the new Xbox, Xbox One , which is called that because when it gets its review it will be a 1 out of 100.

Needs to be online daily to function, games must be installed on the device to work and 2nd hand games have a fee of 60 dollars to install on the system.

So basically, Xbox have created a very crappy computer that can only play games that are made specifically designed for that system.
Istancow

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... hmm... I did not watch the reveal, but...

Perhaps you should build a gaming PC! And encourage all of your gaming friends to join you! And even though you'll still have to install things, you can avoid some of the frustrations that you would have had with the XBOX!
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has the potential to be orders of magnitude shittier than the last shitty thread.

The anticipation is killing me.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide, we all had a lovely talk the last time around. If you want to avoid getting yelled at, try trusting people not to do it with no reason and just because they disagree with you. When people fail to be reasonable after you've been reasonable, point it out. If you were being reasonable, you'll have back-up. I would certainly back you up, as I trust you are trying your best now.

One time I linked my friends to an article about alocal women's shelter which treated a blind woman really horribly. I was utterly disgusted by the article and didn't check the source first - which turned out to be an MRA group arguing against women's shelters, saying they are horrible places and domestic violence is overrated and women should stay with their husbands who are never abusive. I was livid and mortified. Mistaken sources happen, and thankfully that kind of mistake can be forgiven.

I personally think violence against men, particularly domestic violence is terrible. Doesn't change which group has the systemic power, though. The ratio of times where misandry might be applicable are vastly smaller to the ratio that is portrayed by MRAs. I am very angry that there are men who can't get help after being raped or who can't get help leaving domestic violence situations. I imagine the numbers for men are smaller than for women, but still worthy of attention.

One of the reasons I hate the whole 'misandry' thing is that it misses the point, and distracts from actual things that are actually happening.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panels 2 & 3 have left me snickering because I'm quite immature.
Rune

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Replace "misandry" with "misogyny" and Slick and the pig with the trike girl and Monique.
Same effect, and as idiotic and pointless as this strip is.

Uh, yeah, but the point is that Slick and Squig are about as well-versed on definitions and particulars as they're displaying here, whereas the gals have half a clue what they're talking about when they use the terms.

Context.
Istancow

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Panels 2 & 3 have left me snickering because I'm quite immature.

hehehehehehe
Rothide

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Rothide, we all had a lovely talk the last time around. If you want to avoid getting yelled at, try trusting people not to do it with no reason and just because they disagree with you. When people fail to be reasonable after you've been reasonable, point it out. If you were being reasonable, you'll have back-up. I would certainly back you up, as I trust you are trying your best now.

One time I linked my friends to an article about alocal women's shelter which treated a blind woman really horribly. I was utterly disgusted by the article and didn't check the source first - which turned out to be an MRA group arguing against women's shelters, saying they are horrible places and domestic violence is overrated and women should stay with their husbands who are never abusive. I was livid and mortified. Mistaken sources happen, and thankfully that kind of mistake can be forgiven.

I personally think violence against men, particularly domestic violence is terrible. Doesn't change which group has the systemic power, though. The ratio of times where misandry might be applicable are vastly smaller to the ratio that is portrayed by MRAs. I am very angry that there are men who can't get help after being raped or who can't get help leaving domestic violence situations. I imagine the numbers for men are smaller than for women, but still worthy of attention.

One of the reasons I hate the whole 'misandry' thing is that it misses the point, and distracts from actual things that are actually happening.

Explain to me what you mean by systemic power. if you fallowed my link to the "New Data on the Rise of Women" you see that economically, the power is shifting, and not only that, but women are becoming much more succesful than men in high pay, less physical labor jobs. Women are gaining the power, less men are graduating. They even say that men are the new "ball and chain".

If you mean something else, explain a bit more.

Also note, I have read and watched all of these links, and to me they seem to support my argument, and none of these articles are coming from a "MRA" or Mens Rights group. The only thing I have for Mens rights is the quote from Ferrell.
Rune

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide, start here: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15/straight-white-male-the-lowest-difficulty-setting-there-is/

Some more meat here: http://thetruthasisawittoday.wordpress.com/tag/systemic-sexism/

With a side of sauce, if you like: http://jezebel.com/5992479/if-i-admit-that-hating-men-is-a-thing-will-you-stop-turning-it-into-a-self+fulfilling-prophecy
Rothide

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Rothide, start here: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2012/05/15/straight-white-male-the-lowest-difficulty-setting-there-is/

Some more meat here: http://thetruthasisawittoday.wordpress.com/tag/systemic-sexism/

With a side of sauce, if you like: http://jezebel.com/5992479/if-i-admit-that-hating-men-is-a-thing-will-you-stop-turning-it-into-a-self+fulfilling-prophecy

Um great, could I have some non blogger stuff that wasn't written by a random person? I linked stories from Feminists Author and newspapers, and you give me a feminist blog with no clue of to their credentials about how her ideas are the only true ideas.

But if this is acceptable, here is one from a bisexual gender-queer woman about how the Patriarchy isn't really what feminists believe it is:http://owningyourshit.blogspot.com/2011/07/patriarchy-shmatriarchy.html

Edit: My apologies, I did not realize that Skalzi was an author as well. I did read his article. Doesn't change the fact that he basically said "the world chooses for you, I don't have any proof of this, but that's the case". My author at least had graphs showing the trends.

Edit2: Also Linsy West, but like what Stripey said, Jezebel is a women interest group, not societal interest, women. I can't really take this as proof when it is coming from a biased perspective. I also noticed there was only one link in this article, how women were being allowed to work in coal mines. Great victory, if women want that job good for them, still doesn't undermine that 98% of job related deaths happen to men.

Last edited by Rothide on Wed May 22, 2013 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Otoh

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at 2 comix every morning & enjoy when they synchronize a little http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/alex/ for 2013 05 22

Phox

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i know two truths i guess they are these

The universe is infinite.

Human hatred is eternal.

And I'm not sure about he universe...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 2 of 30

Jump to: