welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In the world of Science: We're all colourblind!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Him

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: In the world of Science: We're all colourblind! Reply with quote

most of us anyway, compared to the tetrachromat.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to get an extra cone implant so I could see amazing colors. Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See I thought it'd be super awesome too, but then I realized it would actually make art even harder and I just lost interest instantly.

Cuz like, that color you agonized over? No guarantees anybody else could tell the difference anyway.

Plus it would be even harder to get clothes to match.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don'tthink I'd care much, since I still don't have a great sense of color combinations. I get when colors go together, but when they don't it often doesn't strike me as bad.

Although this does remind of marius de Romanus from Vampire Chronicles. He became an artist after becoming a vampire (Out of boredom, I think. It started as a craft project, decorating a wall.). He's got super vision that catches a lot of detail - but his skills of an artist are far too weak to capture it well. He spends 2,000 years trying to get there and never does. I'm sure any of the artists who read the book recognize this as Art Hell.

I think he could also see loads of colors too, but pigments were limited - especially before the renaissance.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even without a fouth cone, there are definitely differences in how people see the same colors. Graeme and I argue fairly often about what tones are in different colors. I could not say which of us sees more then the other, though from my point of view, I'd say I do since he just doesn't seem to see the nuances I do. But then, for all I know, my brain is making it all up.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since color vision is an X-linked characteristic, it's more likely that he's colorblind than that you are (you'd have to be carrying two copies of the gene, he'd only need one). I have a mild aberration that makes it hard for me to distinguish certain shades of greyish purple from certain other shades of greyish blue.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's that big color diferentiation test? Chris took it and stomped it so I don't argue too much about what color is that with him. Of course he could still be calling it the wrong color - the only thing we have proved is that he can tell one color from another, not that he knows what to call them. Razz
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ishihara test? I totally fail it (except the first one, which no one should get wrong, and is used to catch liars).
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, something closer to this. Chris had a bigger block of colors but I didn't find it in my super quick google search.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is also an increase in range, like into the ultra violet or infrared parts of the spectrum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Him

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
No, something closer to this. Chris had a bigger block of colors but I didn't find it in my super quick google search.

I got 22, but I was a bit distracted.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 4, but my computer is hooked up to a big screen television, so I was able to get pretty close to really compare. And it might have been me, but it really seemed like you can see an imaginary line if you line them up right; like they didn't have them as solid blocks of color, rather they were simply cut from a line.
Valerie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read something a while back that suggested that women tend to see more colors than men in general. Apparently, it's supposed to be some kind of evolutionary leftover; women would gather plants while men hunted, so seeing the differences between shades of red could be very important.

This article said that colorblind men and tetrachromatic women are related, so I wonder if it's one of those genes that's meant to benefit one sex despite the effect on the opposite sex?

Chat About
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misandry!

Kidding! Very Happy
Valerie

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:

I got 22, but I was a bit distracted.

18. I tried really hard. ;_;

Chat About
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: