Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-31: Misogyny
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tekii

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: 2013-05-31: Misogyny Reply with quote

She's so tiny and cute.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick's tiny little eyebrows in the last panel make me really happy.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe. His reaction is so hilarious.

Will this be another FUN thread? Probably SO!

Sad though just HOW much negativity there is out there. Misogyny everywhere. And it's more mainstream than ever in some ways. Look at shows like Family Guy that the theme of the show became, if in doubt diss/hurt a woman for laughs. Seriously. It's disturbing how straightforward they do it now. And yet their fans love it. /headdesk

My wife and I finally just stopped ever seeing it. We liked the show originally for like 2 seasons, and after that the show became remarkably unclever. Sheer juvenile humor, heavy handed political statements and SHIT TONS of misogyny. We hated it every time we caught it minus maybe ONE random clever joke an episode if we were lucky.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope it won't be too bad, but one complaint I have is just how fast Tat makes Slick flipflop. Two comics ago, 'Down with the Feminist Movement', today? 'Pro feminist = OMG ENEMY!'
Jody

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
Well I hope it won't be too bad, but one complaint I have is just how fast Tat makes Slick flipflop. Two comics ago, 'Down with the Feminist Movement', today? 'Pro feminist = OMG ENEMY!'

He might be an ally (sometimes), but that doesn't mean he's aware of his own privilege.
Night Spade

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say what you will about actual Misogyny, but the word itself really does roll off the tongue nicely.

Ma-soge-jon-nee!
Onimaru

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
Onimaru wrote:

He might be an ally (sometimes), but that doesn't mean he's aware of his own privilege.

Very true, but in this circumstance I'm not talking about how he might ignorantly indulge in misogyny. I mean in seeing a member of the Sisterhood making complaints about DoucheBros, he reacts like she's some terrible monster when again he just days ago claimed to be on their side. This is one of the major things I have to complain about in regards to Slick is that his character development is about as constant in direction as a Yo-yo Sad
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is pretty consistent with Slick. When he spent more time with Nique, he would oscillate between professing love for her and trying oh so blatantly to convince her to have sex with him. He was sweet and selfless - and then suddenly horny and greedy. So I don't think this is new. Tat is more or less just presenting it in a new way, and not presenting Slick as the person we should sympathize with and identify with.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consistent perhaps, but the rest of the ENTIRE cast has had some kind of character development, Slick has been stuck in 'I refuse to think with anything other than my penis limbo' forever despite having time and again chances damn near forced down his throat to change. And any time he so much as dips his toe into the water of the Ocean of Change less than a week later he's sprinted up the Beach of Willful Ignorance back to the safety of his DouchBro Beach towel.
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick: Attention Deposite Disorder

'Nuff said Wink
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amused by the spy drones singing along.

Onimaru wrote:
And any time he so much as dips his toe into the water of the Ocean of Change less than a week later he's sprinted up the Beach of Willful Ignorance back to the safety of his DouchBro Beach towel.
Greatest metaphor ever.
crayven

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching TV and simply WALKING = misogyny.
How dare you walk you sexist pig !

Get back to self-hating and worshiping the ubermadchen !!
ktern

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, he's singing the misogyny song. perhaps you've heard it, it's constantly topping the charts
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:
Consistent perhaps, but the rest of the ENTIRE cast has had some kind of character development, Slick has been stuck in 'I refuse to think with anything other than my penis limbo' forever despite having time and again chances damn near forced down his throat to change. And any time he so much as dips his toe into the water of the Ocean of Change less than a week later he's sprinted up the Beach of Willful Ignorance back to the safety of his DouchBro Beach towel.

He is having character development - just not the kind you are hoping for.

His development may just pssibly seem unrealistic to you bevause you haven't dealt with 'allies' who beg for cookies and continue doing assholish things. They beg for attention, and when they don't get that attention, they stamp their feet and shout about how the movement needs them - or about how they're just going to work against the group they wanted to be allies with, out of spite.

Of course there are reasons for Slick's behavior. I think reason number 1 is his discovery that Nique actually doesn't find his antics cute and will now call him out on the creepy. We see him do the same stuff he used to, but with a different perspective.

So he sees Nique has a new understanding that leaves him squarely in creepsville. He rects the way he used to when trying to romance her - overdoing the proof that he is a 'new man,' only to have his actual mindset and behavior betray him. He could never, for instance, show he was interested in a real relationship with her because his desire to get laid always announced itself loudly. He was enthusiatic but very insincere. She would reject him for that, and he'd go off pssed and perform his old behaviors again.

I personally think it would be awesome if Tat could show how someone like Slck coud grow up, but I don't know if that will happen. However, it seems unusual to me that a character like Slick could make himself irredeemable rather than the hero of the piece. I'd be okay with that too.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of reminds me of the Sound of Music in panel 3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: