Welcome to the Fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-02 Post Traumatic Stress
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omg, that is awesome. I can't take this conversation remotely seriously now.

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...you mean you could earlier?
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
I'm still wondering where you're getting the idea that Fyoosh is somehow handling her issues wrongly or ignorantly. The girl just barely escaped hell, for goodness sake. Give her some time to be in the stage that she's in.
People seem to disagree with me on my reading of this, but it doesn't seem to me as if she is getting better. She seems to be just as liable to burn her paintings and have stabbing hallucinations as she was on the day she ran away. I know that these things often take time, and maybe time is all she needs. But, I would feel better if she was working with someone over this.

Presumably, Criminy is helping her, but we've seen less and less of him. She seems to be hiding this problem from him(or--at least--downplaying it), and he seems to be willing to turn a blind eye (again, I'm getting this from my general reading of the comic, others are free to disagree).

I'm worried she is trying to do this all on her own, without consulting anyone that might know how demons can handle this kind of issue. I am worried she might feel she needs to further suppress her fire succubus nature, not confront it.

Most of all, I'm worried that she thinks being a demon is something to be ashamed off. That she needs to stop cold-turkey to be 'normal.' I don't think she should judge herself as a homo sapien anymore than I think you people should. Yet, my reading of the text makes me believe she is measuring herself to homo sapien standards.

Last edited by Lich Mong on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
By the way, Miss M. I have no idea of where to start the search but do you think you can find the Fuchsia strip where she was being rejected and isolated because of her nature and it made a very good parallel to racism? I want to remember how it ended.

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3337
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not sure "Fuchsia not seeming to get better" is really a result of some heretofore unmentioned difference between the physiology of PTSD in the demonic and the human, instead of, say, the cartoonist's apparent lack of interest in advancing this storyline any further than it's gotten already.
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Leohan wrote:
By the way, Miss M. I have no idea of where to start the search but do you think you can find the Fuchsia strip where she was being rejected and isolated because of her nature and it made a very good parallel to racism? I want to remember how it ended.

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3337

Thanks! ^^ I really like that one.

Now featuring around 40 pages about non-sentient toasters
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know any actual real people with PTSD?

It can take a really long time to get better. A long, long, long time. Even with help.

PTSD is not something you can just shed lightly after you get away from whatever situation you got PTSD from. People who have PTSD are often told they should just get over it or that what they are experiencing is actually laziness. The military used to classify it as malingering - meaning people with PTSD were clearly faking illness to try and get out of work.

And victims of rape and domestic abuse who have PTSD are accused of being liars, making the whole thing up for attention, being weak or malicious, untrustworthy, lowly human beings. Which is great considering they suffered the abuse.

So the support is not great, which makes it worse. And when there is support, the problems of PTSD are still really hard to fix. Takes a long time. It's not some light problem that can be waved off with a few pills and one or two doctor visits.

And those people? They are human beings, coping as human beings have to. So I'd appreciate your reevaluation of what a proper amount of time is for someone to simply get over what was probably years of torment that have culminated into PTSD.

Lich Mong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
It can take a really long time to get better. A long, long, long time. Even with help.
Right.
But, she doesn't seem to be getting any.

I'm not trying to downplay what she's been through. I am just saying I'd feel better about it if she saw someone with experience dealing with these kinds of issues. Or if we saw some indication that what she is doing is working.

Last edited by Lich Mong on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Right.

But, she doesn't seem to be getting any.

Which doesn't do anything to support your idea that she's not getting better because she's a devil person. I just want to make sure that you understand this thing about PTSD, because you marched headlong into philosophy 101 without stopping to educate yourself about this problem real everyday people have to suffer through.

Furthermore, if she isn't receiving help and that is hindering her efforts, this does nothing to support your theory that devil people need some kind of different help in dealing with PTSD. It implied that receiving help is the key, not someone's innate being.

stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this recent day in the life with Absinthe:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4646

She's a devil person and doesn't appear to be in her element. Why do you think that is?

Here's a math question: If Absinthe works for D-man for twenty plus years and then decides to leave, how long will it take her to undue the horrible shit that is going to accrue? Do you think she'll be over it in a week? Maybe a month?

mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Unrelated, in Argentinian lingo 'Telos' means brothels. The association has had me giggling in every second post I write.

dammit, when is someone going to come up with a 'like' button for this forum?
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Which doesn't do anything to support your idea that she's not getting better because she's a devil person.
I'm not claiming I know why she's not getting better. I was just saying her treating herself as if she was a homo sapien MIGHT not be the best course of action.

I am saying I would feel more comfortable if the narrative expressed she had some idea about how succubi work through this kind of PTSD, or was seeing someone who did.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is no difference between how humans and devil girls deal with PTSD, then Tat wouldn't have to put it in the comic. Right?

To me that is like complaining there is no sign that there are no tigers in a park one does not expect to find tigers at.

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brb ordering a box of giant dragon dildos

this thread isn't going anywhere anyway

remember kids, slow and slippery wins the race
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where you can get some of those. Wish I didn't, but I do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 8 of 19

Jump to: