welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-04: Something I Really Want
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
I write fan fiction and I'd like to say my stories exist in the top 5% of all stories on Fan Fiction.net.

Not very hard considering the quality of stories there.

Lemon and Lime are not really outdated terms, it's more people are far more cautious about using them since the moment they appear the moderators at FanFiction.net tend to bring the ban hammer down on the story.

Why FF.net banned 18+ stories, I don't know. A disclaimer before entering would have been enough to protect them and all it really took for them to make that change was a few anal retentive parents complaining. I mean really, who condemns sex, a perfectly natural biological process REQUIRED for the continued survival of the human race yet is perfectly fine with copious amounts of blood and violence?

Sometimes humans confuse me... actually humans confuse me just about all the time.

But anyways, Seymour is at least very honest about himself. I wonder how many people can truly say the same thing.

Course if you want to do that, you could always go to Adult Fan Fiction .net were adult fiction is the whole point. However, the quality of those stories aren't much better than Fan Fiction .net.

Though the "no sex" isn't very well enforced, just take a gander at the Soul Eater section, with the options Soul/Maka and Rated M. More ugly's being bumped there than in the whole Bomf District. Luckily this also has one of the few rare exceptions of having a very good Author that rights well thought out and planned stories, specifically MarshofSleep's Amplify.
If your into that sort of fanfiction I would highly recommend reading it.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
I write fan fiction and I'd like to say my stories exist in the top 5% of all stories on Fan Fiction.net.

Oh my god I can't even with this.

"Well I do that thing you're all criticizing but take my word for it I'm actually good at it not like everybody else."

That doesn't make you sound conceited at all, nope.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FF.net doesn't even have a top 5% so how would you know?
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to leave this here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

If you were to take a poll of how smart people thought they were compared to others on the forum, >50% would say they were in the top 5%
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
I'll leave you alone about it if you apologize and romse never again to complain about how people aren't trying to teach you. And also if your ban on talking about feminism will include making no stupid backhanded comments about how people are mean to you for disagreeing rather than pointig out caustically that you have been a colossal jerk.

If you can do that and then not immediately fuck up in a fantastically stupd manner, I'll be appy to leave you to your business.

No, not going to do that. Drop it Stripey. I don't want to fight, but I don't have to apologize for getting angry at people that antagonized me to make me angry, then pointing out how I'm acting like a jerk because Im angry.

Your basically doing the same damn shit right now. Not letting it drop and expecting me to follow your orders exactly, and turning it around on me for why it's not being dropped.

Cool then. Continue to be an asshat and wonder why people are mad at you.

Because poor little Rothide, he did nothing wrong andthen those mean old people of Sinfest just gangedup on him! Has nothing to do with his pisspoor style of arguing or the really ignorant things he's said, or the way he ignores a lot of people in conversation andrepeatsthe same thing over and over and over and over.

It's really just a sad world where Rothide is persecuted.

Last edited by stripeypants on Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give the guy the benefit of the doubt and think that he was being facetious.

I have read some of the Fan Fiction there and for every good story, you have a guy that made a 500 word run on sentence and called it "fiction".

Or it could be written better, but instead we get an OC Mary Sue that takes the story away from the actual characters.

So yeah, he probably isn't in the top 5%. But with all the crap thats out there, just being a good writer and keeping the people in characters your at least in the top 50%.
Arthain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how you all immediately assume I'm being conceited and suffer from illusory superiority without having read a single word of the stories I've written.

I'm not being conceited or arrogant, it's simple fact.

I'm not stating I'm perfect or that I'm good enough to be professional. But all it really takes to be in the top few percentile on that site is good grammar and spelling along with a semi decent plot and story.

That site has a lot of truly atrocious stories.

I'd mention what my pen-name is on that site but I imagine most of you would go in with the assumption that it will be bad and will see every single little mistake and flaw as justification for your assumption.
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Rothide wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
I'll leave you alone about it if you apologize and romse never again to complain about how people aren't trying to teach you. And also if your ban on talking about feminism will include making no stupid backhanded comments about how people are mean to you for disagreeing rather than pointig out caustically that you have been a colossal jerk.

If you can do that and then not immediately fuck up in a fantastically stupd manner, I'll be appy to leave you to your business.

No, not going to do that. Drop it Stripey. I don't want to fight, but I don't have to apologize for getting angry at people that antagonized me to make me angry, then pointing out how I'm acting like a jerk because Im angry.

Your basically doing the same damn shit right now. Not letting it drop and expecting me to follow your orders exactly, and turning it around on me for why it's not being dropped.

Cool then. Continue to be an asshat and wonder why people are mad at you

Sorry that you feel you can't get over an asshat if he doesn't apologize, even if the asshat is saying he doesn't want to talk about the stuff that got him called an asshat in the first place and wants to get on with his life.

Maybe you could take an example from the asshat and DROP IT.
Arthain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Sorry that you feel you can't get over an asshat if he doesn't apologize, even if the asshat is saying he doesn't want to talk about the stuff that got him called an asshat in the first place and wants to get on with his life.

Maybe you could take an example from the asshat and DROP IT.

Rothide, just ignore him. There are certain individuals on this forum that thrive off antagonizing others. Stripeypants is one of them, ShadowCell is another, Guest is a third. There are others as well but usually when those people make a post the best course of action is to ignore their existence. Just pretend they don't even exist.
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:

Was the "5%" a guesstimation, or did you have some way of calculating it?

What metic did you use to arrive at this "simple fact" about being in the top 5%?
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain, having never once even managed to scrape together half a valid point for his positions, advises the head in the sand or "ostrich" strategy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I could wait for you to make the exact same mistakes and use the exact same uninformed, garbled 'arguments' over and over again. Because history shows you can't help yourself. I mean, you think you'll avoid saying stupid things if you don't talk about women's issues, but there are class and race and religious issues.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Well I could wait for you to make the exact same mistakes and use the exact same uninformed, garbled 'arguments' over and over again. Because history shows you can't help yourself. I mean, you think you'll avoid saying stupid things if you don't talk about women's issues, but there are class and race and religious issues.

Once again, I've decided to NOT talk about feminism on the Sinfest boards, and considering that you have decided to not let this drop and keep harassing me, I will refer you to this sign.

So yeah, when you feel to bring up my past mistakes with talking about feminism when I'm not even talking about feminism anymore, or bringing it up in a forum not even dealing with feminism, refer to that sign as to what you should do.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to refrain from talking about other issues like classism, racism, and religion?

And all you have to do is stop talking to me. Literally. Want to end the conversation? You aren't required to ever respond to a post I ake. No law of internets ictates you have to say anything to me.

Last edited by stripeypants on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arthain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
Arthain wrote:

Was the "5%" a guesstimation, or did you have some way of calculating it?

What metic did you use to arrive at this "simple fact" about being in the top 5%?

And how would you go about quantifying the quality of a story on FF.net? I've traversed that site for years, I have read, or at least tried to read, hundreds, if not thousands, of stories over the past 15 years.

When you read that many stories, you get a good feel. Perhaps 5% is not 'exact' but there's no way to be exact. After going through that many stories though you get a very good idea of just where a story ranks amongst all the others you've read.

And this isn't just my opinion, when virtually everyone that reviews my story says the same damn thing, it's no longer just personal opinion.

Sure people have issues with some of the content of my story, I do horrible things to loveable characters, but that's an issue with the plot itself, not the quality of the story. I've never had anyone dissatisfied with the quality of my story, simply the content which is understandable since I don't write happy-go-lucky stories where everything goes right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: