welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-04: Something I Really Want
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
Rothide wrote:
Sorry that you feel you can't get over an asshat if he doesn't apologize, even if the asshat is saying he doesn't want to talk about the stuff that got him called an asshat in the first place and wants to get on with his life.

Maybe you could take an example from the asshat and DROP IT.

Rothide, just ignore him. There are certain individuals on this forum that thrive off antagonizing others. Stripeypants is one of them, ShadowCell is another, Guest is a third. There are others as well but usually when those people make a post the best course of action is to ignore their existence. Just pretend they don't even exist.

Guest is an entirely different category than Shadowcell and I. The stuff Shadowcell and I post is genuine.

And you totes missed when I painstakingly tried to help him, which he went along with. Then he appears to have immediately forgotten that by referring to me as one of 'those people' who were clearly against him because feminism is a cult. And he blamed me for his hating feminism, which is silly because he hated it before he got here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Arthain wrote:
Rothide wrote:
Sorry that you feel you can't get over an asshat if he doesn't apologize, even if the asshat is saying he doesn't want to talk about the stuff that got him called an asshat in the first place and wants to get on with his life.

Maybe you could take an example from the asshat and DROP IT.

Rothide, just ignore him. There are certain individuals on this forum that thrive off antagonizing others. Stripeypants is one of them, ShadowCell is another, Guest is a third. There are others as well but usually when those people make a post the best course of action is to ignore their existence. Just pretend they don't even exist.

Guest is an entirely different category than Shadowcell and I. The stuff Shadowcell and I post is genuine.

And you totes missed when I painstakingly tried to help him, which he went along with. Then he appears to have immediately forgotten that by referring to me as one of 'those people' who were clearly against him because feminism is a cult. And he blamed me for his hating feminism, which is silly because he hated it before he got here.

I'll give you that Guest is in an entirely different dimension from everyone else but the point still stands.

You two are arguing with each other, best way to resolve it is to just ignore each other. Usually when a thread devolves into random bickering I just pack my bags and walk away (from that thread). I don't think I've ever felt good about winning an argument on the internet so if things become hostile I stop trying.

Debates however are perfectly fine, keep things civil and I'll debate all day long, provided real life doesn't interrupt me and pull me away.
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Are you going to refrain from talking about other issues like classism, racism, and religion?

And all you have to do is stop talking to me. Literally. Want to end the conversation? You aren't required to ever respond to a post I ake. No law of internets ictates you have to say anything to me.

When dealing with Christianity (which I have been taking courses on since I went back to school), no, other than that, yeah your ism's are safe. I will admit I used to think Racism was "hatered of another based on race." when it actually is "feeling of superiority based on race".

And as for why I keep responding, I'm not going to act petulant and not respond to people who talk to me.

Last edited by Rothide on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It's just the truth how awesome I am you just have to take my word for it because I know, man. I know."

You fail completely to convince me in any way shape or form that you are more than condescending bluster.

Jesus, you even admit people don't like your writing, but then dismiss it with excuses.

Like, you could at least try to offer up... -something- other than empty assurances that you actually know what you're talking about and you aren't just putting down 95% of the people on ff.net to make yourself feel better.
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
"It's just the truth how awesome I am you just have to take my word for it because I know, man. I know."

You fail completely to convince me in any way shape or form that you are more than condescending bluster.

Jesus, you even admit people don't like your writing, but then dismiss it with excuses.

Like, you could at least try to offer up... -something- other than empty assurances that you actually know what you're talking about and you aren't just putting down 95% of the people on ff.net to make yourself feel better.

Please just let this die, he can make that claim if he wants to.

God, did you get this way when Youngster Joey talked about his Rattata in Poke'mon?

Last edited by Rothide on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
And how would you go about quantifying the quality of a story on FF.net? I've traversed that site for years, I have read, or at least tried to read, hundreds, if not thousands, of stories over the past 15 years.
I know nothing about rating stories on FF.net, but presumably if you're coming up with an exact number, you do.

That's why I asked you.
Arthain wrote:

When you read that many stories, you get a good feel.
Well, I wouldn't because I loath fanfic.
Arthain wrote:
Perhaps 5% is not 'exact' but there's no way to be exact. After going through that many stories though you get a very good idea of just where a story ranks amongst all the others you've read.

Well, see, this is the issue. People that self rate themselves highly normally suck, while people that self rate themselves as bad normally don't. Here is a paper on that subject:
http://www.psoriasissociety.ttsg.org/pdfs/Dunning-Kruger%20Effect.pdf

Maybe you should take a look before claiming it does not apply. At least at figure 3.
Arthain wrote:

And this isn't just my opinion, when virtually everyone that reviews my story says the same damn thing, it's no longer just personal opinion.
Everyone that comments on my erotic stories on deviantArt say they love them and I should write more, but I'd not presume to be in the "top 5%." That site just breds positive comments from likeminded individuals. People that don't like a story don't normally comment on the site because doing so is a good way to get banned.

I don't know how it works on FF.net. If you write a scalding review can you get banned there too?
Arthain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:

See Rothide, this is the kind of response that you ignore. It's full of insults, ignorance and random nonsense.

He's done several key things to label himself as a troll:

1) He's insulted me
2) He's twisted the meaning of my prior words to suit his own perfect little world
3) He's shown his ignorance by assuming quality and content are the same thing.

He's made no point, he has no foundation to any sort of argument. He's quite literally just lashing out at me because he has nothing better to do with his time.

Those are the kinds of people you simply tune out.

Edit: On that note I'm taking my own advice and walking away. It's obvious that aside from Rothide no one here has actually GONE to fanfiction.net. You can't tell me I'm right or wrong or call me out on what I say when you yourself have no knowledge of the topic.

Last edited by Arthain on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
Arthain wrote:
And how would you go about quantifying the quality of a story on FF.net? I've traversed that site for years, I have read, or at least tried to read, hundreds, if not thousands, of stories over the past 15 years.
I know nothing about rating stories on FF.net, but presumably if you're coming up with an exact number, you do.

That's why I asked you.
Arthain wrote:

When you read that many stories, you get a good feel.
Well, I wouldn't because I loath fanfic.
Arthain wrote:
Perhaps 5% is not 'exact' but there's no way to be exact. After going through that many stories though you get a very good idea of just where a story ranks amongst all the others you've read.

Well, see, this is the issue. People that self rate themselves highly normally suck, while people that self rate themselves as bad normally don't. Here is a paper on that subject:
http://www.psoriasissociety.ttsg.org/pdfs/Dunning-Kruger%20Effect.pdf

Maybe you should take a look before claiming it does not apply.
Arthain wrote:

And this isn't just my opinion, when virtually everyone that reviews my story says the same damn thing, it's no longer just personal opinion.
Everyone that comments on my erotic stories on deviantArt say they love them and I should write more, but I'd not presume to be in the "top 5%." That site just breds positive comments from likeminded individuals. People that don't like a story don't normally comment on the site because doing so is a good way to get banned.

I don't know how it works on FF.net. If you write a scalding review can you get banned there too?

Do we really need to do this? I mean he felt pride and felt that his work was good, top percentage good even. And since he's said that its like a few people are going "Oh my god, we gotta bring this fucker down a notch or two. Keep him level headed that he's just mediocre like the rest."
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Do we really need to do this? I mean he felt pride and felt that his work was good, top percentage good even. And since he's said that its like a few people are going "Oh my god, we gotta bring this fucker down a notch or two. Keep him level headed that he's just mediocre like the rest."
Well, having a realistic view of his abilities would help he get better in the long run. If he assumes he is in the top 5% its likely he sees no reason to drastically improve. (Additionally, pretty much EVERYONE has pride in their ability, that's what figure 3 shows)

But, if he doesn't want to talk about it with me, all he has to do is stop talking about it with me. I'm not going to harass him about it, but if he engages me I will engage him.
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide: You misgendered stripey not once or twice, but SEVERAL times and repeatedly, even after he told you in each single instance to drop it. You didn't. Either apologize or deal with it.

This is not the main complaint, but it added a lot to the reason why he doesn't "Drop it" and I'm guessing it's a reason you can understand. And you know what? You don't need to apologize and nobody can force you to. But if you don't I will treat you like an eleven year old girl, and because of your previous attitudes your right to complaint will be revoked. On the other hand, if you apologize you will display a good level of maturity and will be right on the path of people taking you seriously.

So go ahead, sweetie. Apologizing is not all that hard. ^^
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
Rothide wrote:
Well, having a realistic view of his abilities would help he get better in the long run. If he assumes he is in the top 5% its likely he sees no reason to drastically improve. (Additionally, pretty much EVERYONE has pride in their ability, that's what figure 3 shows)

But, if he doesn't want to talk about it with me, all he has to do is stop talking about it with me. I'm not going to harass him about it, but if he engages me I will engage him.

I can understand that, and the Dunning-Kruger effect I do believe is real as well. But sometimes I wonder if we just use this to feel better about ourselves.

I mean an article I google on that effect had this as a tagline "How the Incompetent doesn't know their Incompetent". That's kinda harsh, a person believes their good at something, they are "Incompetent". Not saying your thinking he is, nothing like that, just showing that sometimes I think these effects could be used to just glorify the critics.

And either way, were talking about FAN FICTION. This is fluff and head canon, not something that we could get rewards in, or anything that could actually cause harm. This is fun, and if a person wants to believe he's the top 5% of bringing people fun, I think he should be allowed.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
Why FF.net banned 18+ stories, I don't know. A disclaimer before entering would have been enough to protect them and all it really took for them to make that change was a few anal retentive parents complaining.

anal retentive parents are perfectly capable of suing, and the entire exercise of fanfiction is on shaky enough legal ground that such a lawsuit would have been devastating to FF.net as a whole. plus, that ban was born out of concerns over real-person fanfiction--like fanfics of the Backstreet Boys or whatever--which raised obvious legal problems. so now they at least have a good faith effort going to ban 18+ stuff, even though we all know FF.net is still crawling with 18+ stuff and they'll never get rid of it all.

besides which, at this point it's pretty well-known that there are other, better places to go if you want that stuff.

also i'm really gratified to see that i've gotten inside your head so much that you feel compelled to take swipes at me when i haven't said a single thing in this thread until now. achievement unlocked.

anyways, bragging about how you think you're in the top 5% of fanfics on FF.net is like Usain Bolt bragging that he smoked everyone at the Special Olympics. except if Usain Bolt is such a dick that he goes and smokes everyone at the Special Olympics, at least he'll have something objective to point at in order to prove it. but since you're so well-traveled in its gooey, filth-encrusted halls, you'll know that there is no way to reliably rate fanfics the way you do. the only plausible possibilities are the number of faves, the number of communities, and the number (and content) of reviews. number of faves doesn't tell you much, because you have no idea why your story got faved and how many of those faves count as people really interested in your story, and not just people who fave every single thing they read. number of communities doesn't tell you much either, since you can submit your fanfics to communities, so that doesn't necessarily mean people trolling the archives see your work and find you brilliant. and the number and content of reviews don't tell you that much either; what does it really count if you've got a thousand reviews that consist of "this is gud rite mor"? how many of those reviews are of the same person responding to multiple chapters?

about the only thing you can reliably infer from all that is that the people who read your stories and let you know that they read your stories generally like them. and that doesn't give you grounds to call yourself "part of the top 5% or whatever."

besides which, if you feel the need to brag that you stand out from the filth and no-effort garbage that makes up most of FF.net, then you probably aren't that great to begin with.

Last edited by ShadowCell on Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
tricksterson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.t-s-s-a.com for lemon fic of varying quality to which I'm a contributor, the quality of which I'll let you judge for yourself. REALLY NSFW.
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Rothide: You misgendered stripey not once or twice, but SEVERAL times and repeatedly, even after he told you in each single instance to drop it. You didn't. Either apologize or deal with it.

This is not the main complaint, but it added a lot to the reason why he doesn't "Drop it" and I'm guessing it's a reason you can understand. And you know what? You don't need to apologize and nobody can force you to. But if you don't I will treat you like an eleven year old girl, and because of your previous attitudes your right to complaint will be revoked. On the other hand, if you apologize you will display a good level of maturity and will be right on the path of people taking you seriously.

So go ahead, sweetie. Apologizing is not all that hard. ^^

Then I'm sorry about the misgendering, I thought I always went back and corrected myself when I miss-typed his gender. Maybe in my anger I forgot to do some. I apologize profusely for that.
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
http://www.t-s-s-a.com for lemon fic of varying quality to which I'm a contributor, the quality of which I'll let you judge for yourself. REALLY NSFW.

The name of that sight is straight and to the point, you're not going there by accident are you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: