welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-06: Do You Like Me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maynar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I want them to be buddies and for Seymour to do something awesome like give Li'l E a halo or something. Maybe take him under his wing and teach him to be good. (Although Li'l E seems plenty good right now.)

No you don't. Seymour is the living embodiment of religious hypocrisy (amusing as that may be). If you give one single shit about Lily you'll want him to give Seymour a wide berth.

Seymour has no idea what real "good" actually is. He is lost in his perverted "christian" world.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you don't want Seymour teaching anyone to be "good," certainly, but they could totes be buddies.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynar wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
I want them to be buddies and for Seymour to do something awesome like give Li'l E a halo or something. Maybe take him under his wing and teach him to be good. (Although Li'l E seems plenty good right now.)

No you don't. Seymour is the living embodiment of religious hypocrisy (amusing as that may be). If you give one single shit about Lily you'll want him to give Seymour a wide berth.

Seymour has no idea what real "good" actually is. He is lost in his perverted "christian" world.

Don't you remember that strip where Seymour finds Lil'E sleeping on the ground waiting for the devil, then puts a blanket over him and then leaves without a word?
Maynar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Well, you don't want Seymour teaching anyone to be "good," certainly, but they could totes be buddies.

Pretty sure no good would come of that.
Maynar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
Maynar wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Don't you remember that strip where Seymour finds Lil'E sleeping on the ground waiting for the devil, then puts a blanket over him and then leaves without a word?

Not offhand, no. Please feel free to refresh me, thanks.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynar wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

Pretty sure no good would come of that.

The arrow changed Seymour almost comparably to how the Lethe changed Lil'E.

It would be great.

great, I tells ya
Maynar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, good point.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, arguably Seymour really went from a rules-based to a love-based approach to his faith in that moment with the arrow. (Even with an erotic component to "falling in love" with Jesus, which I find interesting and amusing.) I really want to see what happens next!
Rothide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
Yes, arguably Seymour really went from a rules-based to a love-based approach to his faith in that moment with the arrow. (Even with an erotic component to "falling in love" with Jesus, which I find interesting and amusing.) I really want to see what happens next!

This kinda reflects what I was going at, do you think when he was law based, he did hese actions to, in his mind, HELP them?
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:

Maybe he'll read the Bible. Cover to cover. Seeing all the definitely-not-love throughout the book, perhaps he might start really re-thinking the depth of his faith in it.

It would actually make a decent Sunday strip, I think.

Though just to be crystal clear, he better never turn atheist, he should always be a Christian. This is coming from an atheist.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebbles is a buddy of questionable morals too. The point s friendship. Also, Seymour can sympathise with li'l E over how no one knows either has changed in any way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww~ ;.;
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Lily, it saddens me that he even needs a redemption arc. I feel like he should be able to just walk around with a badge saying "I drank from the Lethe, I don't remember shit," and have everyone be like, "Oh, hey, you're not an asshole anymore; I guess you might be pretty cool now."

Though maybe that has the potential to be abused? Imagine if any shitbag could drink from the Lethe, like a get-out-of-being-the-target-of-justified-moral-outrage card. A declaration of moral bankruptcy that wipes your slate clean. People who hit rock-bottom could go on mass crime sprees with a bottle of Lethe water to wash it all down with. Who do you hold accountable afterward?

Kinda like a murder-suicide? You might know what happened, but you don't have anyone you can try, you don't get closure for the victims, the. . . personality that did the crime is dead,in a sense, even if the body is still walking around.

Is consciously drinking from the Lethe akin to suicide? Did Lil' E accidentally kill himself?

I need to go to bed. I'm thinking up ethical quandaries of fictional societies again.

EDIT: Imagine if Hitler, instead of killing himself at the end, drank a bottle of Lethe water. And one day, your mother or father went to the park, and go to buy a hot dog. Then they see the guy selling hot dogs and they're all like, "Wait a minute, aren't you Hitler?" and he goes, "Yeah, but I don't remember shit." "Huh. Well, you got any relish?" "Yeah, here." "Thanks, Hitler." And they go on their merry way.

Sorry, I've had that idea since I saw Babylon 5.

Last edited by CalmBlueSea on Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's remembering stuff, though, so it didn't destroy everything. Maybe it just gave him enough time and distance to work through it all.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it must be horrible for the person drinking from the Lethe. If people came up to you all angry and stuff and you have no idea what you've done. If you consider yourself a morally good person and hear you've been murdering innocents, it would eat you up inside. To face all the people you've hurt and having no idea how to console them because you don't know exactly what you did to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: