welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-06: Do You Like Me?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Pebbles is a buddy of questionable morals too. The point s friendship. Also, Seymour can sympathise with li'l E over how no one knows either has changed in any way.

It's still not clear that Seymour understands the extent to which Li'l E has changed. Li'l E, of course, doesn't remember how Seymour used to be in the first place (he only encountered Seymour a handful of times prior to Seymour's change of self).
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynar wrote:
diagram12345 wrote:
Maynar wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
I want them to be buddies and for Seymour to do something awesome like give Li'l E a halo or something. Maybe take him under his wing and teach him to be good. (Although Li'l E seems plenty good right now.)

No you don't. Seymour is the living embodiment of religious hypocrisy (amusing as that may be). If you give one single shit about Lily you'll want him to give Seymour a wide berth.

Seymour has no idea what real "good" actually is. He is lost in his perverted "christian" world.

Don't you remember that strip where Seymour finds Lil'E sleeping on the ground waiting for the devil, then puts a blanket over him and then leaves without a word?

Not offhand, no. Please feel free to refresh me, thanks.

Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flavius Maximus wrote:
Inb4 Miss M demands sloppy kisses ;)

SLOPPY MAKE-OUTS AND HAND-HOLDING

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Flavius Maximus wrote:
Inb4 Miss M demands sloppy kisses Wink

Why sloppy? Just curious Embarassed
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a term I kind of stole from Homestuck. I don't really know why it's sloppy, specifically, but it sounds funny.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Pebbles is a buddy of questionable morals too. The point s friendship. Also, Seymour can sympathise with li'l E over how no one knows either has changed in any way.

It's still not clear that Seymour understands the extent to which Li'l E has changed. Li'l E, of course, doesn't remember how Seymour used to be in the first place (he only encountered Seymour a handful of times prior to Seymour's change of self).

Yes, but I imagine Seymour can continue talking to Li'l E and discover what happened.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynar wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
Well, you don't want Seymour teaching anyone to be "good," certainly, but they could totes be buddies.

Pretty sure no good would come of that.

At the moment, I could actually see them mutually influencing each other to become better people right now. I wish it happened more often than it does, but I have seen some pretty hard-line moral fundamentalists, who were all ready to cast down fire and brimstone on the unworthy who are a threat to us all, make a pretty swift change in their moral outlook once they're actually confronted by the deep human reality of the other person's existence. Empathy can, indeed, win over dogma, and it's a beautiful sight to see when it does. I would love to see that sort of thing solidify Seymore's arrow-urged turn-around into permanent and deep character growth.

And Lily may just need a badge-wearing "good" friend to encourage his already good desires, instead of mock him for them. To provide validation, not necessarily lessons.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
It's a term I kind of stole from Homestuck. I don't really know why it's sloppy, specifically, but it sounds funny.

Sloppy makeouts are gross - you just end up with a lot of someone else's spit on your face.

Sloppy sex can go either way.
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Flavius Maximus wrote:
Inb4 Miss M demands sloppy kisses Wink

I knewe something was going to be Sloppy. Very Happy
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLOPPY HAND-HOLDING

Rune wrote:
Maynar wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
Well, you don't want Seymour teaching anyone to be "good," certainly, but they could totes be buddies.

Pretty sure no good would come of that.

At the moment, I could actually see them mutually influencing each other to become better people right now. I wish it happened more often than it does, but I have seen some pretty hard-line moral fundamentalists, who were all ready to cast down fire and brimstone on the unworthy who are a threat to us all, make a pretty swift change in their moral outlook once they're actually confronted by the deep human reality of the other person's existence. Empathy can, indeed, win over dogma, and it's a beautiful sight to see when it does. I would love to see that sort of thing solidify Seymore's arrow-urged turn-around into permanent and deep character growth.

And Lily may just need a badge-wearing "good" friend to encourage his already good desires, instead of mock him for them. To provide validation, not necessarily lessons.

Indeed.
Homeslice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Miss M's fanfiction, this is the only thing I could think of when I saw this comic.:

Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dood wii all reddy kno Roon Pole lieks shipping lol bt thos liets are bazzar lololol

nd wii al new this wuz going 2 hapin btw its ur fallt if u diddent lissen
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Ronald wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Yes, but I imagine Seymour can continue talking to Li'l E and discover what happened.

Well, sure, lots of things can happen in this strip. But how many of them do? Wink
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Ronald wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

guys, you need to read the strip more carefully. here, look again:

li'l e says "do you like me, AS A PERSON?" as in, do you like me for myself, for the unique individual that i am? and seymour, essentially, says "i love everybody"....as whole, regardless of individual characteristics, just because they exist.

they are talking past each other. li'l e wants to be seen for himself, warts and all, and seymour is expressing his christian love for everyone. seymour thinks he is being nice, but he didn't hear the real question.

and since he didn't answer the real question, li'l e hears his answer as 'no'. not because he thinks he isn't one of god's children, but because seymour didn't just say 'yes, i like _you_'.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything to indicate that that's not how all/most people read the comic; they're just speculating on further interaction...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: