welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-09: Toyland
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had several god puppet strips! Or do those not count because they were also feminist strips?

GIVE ME THE FEMINIST ROMANCE Very Happy
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun? Reply with quote

Killubear wrote:
Is anyone else bored of the feminist rants of comics lately... the web-comic has lost all of its fun and various fun plot lines and has been crushed into one major feminist rant. I'm all for feminism but i just think the point has been made and i want to see more satire, romance, humor, and god puppets.

Nope its just you, arthain, crayven and rothide.

So no one important.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fun? Reply with quote

Killubear wrote:
Is anyone else bored of the feminist rants of comics lately... the web-comic has lost all of its fun and various fun plot lines and has been crushed into one major feminist rant. I'm all for feminism but i just think the point has been made and i want to see more satire, romance, humor, and god puppets.

Congratulations on "supporting" feminism by implying that its ideas and proponents don't belong anywhere but in theory.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if a documentary happens to make the subjects of the documentary look foolish, it's unreliable? I don't really think that's a criteria to dismiss documentaries wholesale, but if that's the case, so be it. But something tells me you didn't actually watch it, did you, Shadow? The only reason I posted it, though, even though I knew you (and others here) wouldn't watch it and probably won't, is because of what Hydra said - that babies of either gender seem to prioritize different things and that this is somehow tied to our genes. That's the subject for the first part if I recall correctly, or the second part, either or and I thought it was interesting. But, of course, if the footage is heavily edited to deliberately make the people he talks to look foolish or misinformed then obviously it should be discounted as propaganda.

I tried really hard to find where people had written about Harald Eia and his deceptive tactics and editing in the documentary, but unfortunately my Google-fu must be rusty. Would you mind providing me with a link to where you found this incriminating evidence? Because although Rothide can't understand and read Norwegian -- nor you -- I can. So you're in luck.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
So if a documentary happens to make the subjects of the documentary look foolish, it's unreliable? I don't really think that's a criteria to dismiss documentaries wholesale, but if that's the case, so be it. But something tells me you didn't actually watch it, did you, Shadow? The only reason I posted it, though, even though I knew you (and others here) wouldn't watch it and probably won't, is because of what Hydra said - that babies of either gender seem to prioritize different things and that this is somehow tied to our genes. That's the subject for the first part if I recall correctly, or the second part, either or and I thought it was interesting. But, of course, if the footage is heavily edited to deliberately make the people he talks to look foolish or misinformed then obviously it should be discounted as propaganda.

I tried really hard to find where people had written about Harald Eia and his deceptive tactics and editing in the documentary, but unfortunately my Google-fu must be rusty. Would you mind providing me with a link to where you found this incriminating evidence? Because although Rothide can't understand and read Norwegian -- nor you -- I can. So you're in luck.

Well, no, but deceptive editing calls the reliability into question.

Or, wait, are you one of the people that takes the videos released by O'Keefe at his word? (the kid who edited the ACORN videos, etc.)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Guest wrote:

Well, no, but deceptive editing calls the reliability into question.

Or, wait, are you one of the people that takes the videos released by O'Keefe at his word? (the kid who edited the ACORN videos, etc.)

Right, but the proof for the deceptive editing hasn't actually been provided yet so that's still up in the air.

Anyway, the documentary doesn't just feature Harald Eia making other people look like tits. It features among others experts in developmental psychopathology, evolutionary psychology, sociobiology, etc, speaking of for example what babies, roughly dependent on their gender, seem to focus on at birth and in early development stages. At least it does in the first part (or the second one, can't remember which, either of the two) and it goes on from there. I recommend you watch it and then make up your own mind. As for your question, that's an exceptionally silly question. No, is the answer.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
I think all kids should have LEGOs, (real LEGOS, none of that silly LEGO Friends BS), and they can make their own toys based on their own desires and preferences.

Given time, resources, and effort, you can build anything you want with LEGOs. So it suddenly doesn't matter much whether boys prefer a certain kind of play and girls prefer a certain kind of play. When you build the things you play with yourself, your own way, you can play however you prefer.

Cardboard boxes are good too. You can always find something to do with a good box.

as it happens, two of my favorite toys as a child were LEGOs and cardboard boxes (the BIG cardboard boxes - the ones they put washers and things in. the ones that can start out as forts, and end up as something to roll down hills in). my brother and i played with them together.

you could also add teddy bears. teddy bears are good for everybody. and they make great imaginary friends.
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:

Place us back into the primitive settings we were ten thousand years ago where we had nothing but ourselves and our wits and the Lord of the Flies is a good depiction of where we'll end up. Will it be exact? No, but the Lord of the Flies didn't come any where close to depicting the worst case scenarios. Things could have been a lot worse if those boys had more to fight over than simply food and shelter.

Arthain: you really, really need to take a couple of anthropology classes before you start talking about what "nature" makes us do. the human species is incredibly adaptable. there are cultures that are matriarchal, ones where the women own all the property, ones where one woman has multiple husbands. there are cultures where males are the farmers and there are cultures where the females are the farmers. pretty much any activity you can name, there are cultures where that is seen as a male activity and other where it is seen as a female activity. so we really aren't all that restricted by our biology. only by the imagination of the culture we find ourselves in.

and as to what we were doing 10,000 years ago (8000 BCE) - you might take a look at this - which says we already had agriculture, domesticated animals, and were building structures.

yeah, yeah, the exact year isn't important, you were talking about when we were 'primitive'. but even primitive humans were painting in caves and making tools and clothing and personal adornments. and burying their dead with grave objects, in ways that suggest it was done with some ceremony and meaning. that says that human interaction has always been about more than just who was strongest. if it wasn't about cooperation - how did we manage to do things like hunt mammoths, and form agricultural communities, and develop writing?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to derail the thread and have a cheese sandwich.

If you made me a cheese sandwich, what would you put on it?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

Since this doesn't derail an actual argument...

Medium cheddar, spiced balogna (the kind that doesn't taste like steam-rolled hot-dogs) very thin layer of mayo on the inside of both slices of bread, butter on the outside, grill in a hot sammich press.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like german balogna? That stuff is good!

Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

I'd take a dense sourdough, spread a mixture of parmesan and butter on both sides, then grill cheddar and blue cheese crumbles in the middle.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fried for sure, with sharp cheddar and munster. And a side of tomato soup, because how can you not?
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

i saw something about adding tomatillos to grilled cheese sandwiches. i need to try that. with, i think, a nice melty monterey jack. on sourdough. lotsa butter.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot for a moment that I had said cheese sandwich, and I was all, "Is this a cheese eating hivemind?"

You all have awesome taste!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: