welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6/11 not everyone sucks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
I always thought Monique's 'cuz baby I got soul' poem was her best.

As for her no longer delivering complete poetric performances, I suspect she is more interested in meaning than form these days. So her primary aim is no longer to make a good poem, but to disrupt the patriarchal Establishment. Which is fair enough, given that that Establishment is literally demonic in this universe.

Bingo.

At this point, 'Nique is in many ways a reflection of Tat, who's been focusing more and more in the message than the comedy value, himself. Mind you, I think that it's a really good change which has been steadily adding depth to the comic.
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=325

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=1732

Also, Bring Back the Hats.
crayven

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fuck other people's oppinions, there are sheep....eerr.. i mean drones..err..i mean very intelligent people who agree with me unquestionably !"

Kinda sounds like a cult...oh wait, it IS.

"Dear sir, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Tatsuya Ishida?"
Rune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
I always thought Monique's 'cuz baby I got soul' poem was her best.

"little baby earth" will always be my fav.
Rune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
"Fuck other people's oppinions, there are sheep....eerr.. i mean drones..err..i mean very intelligent people who agree with me unquestionably !"

"Dear sir, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Tatsuya Ishida?"

Heaven forbid anyone should like and enjoy not being completely and utterly alone in their likes, and want to have in-depth discussions on the particulars of something they're a fan of rather than -just- defend it against the frothing rabid haters.

You've, uh, got a little fleck right there.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:

Dent?

Arthur Phillip Dent?

You're a jerk, Dent. A complete dinglebro.

(sorry, old chap, I just had to say it)
ilikerunning

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Monique and Slick are both reflections of Tat. Slick is a deeply conflicted character with a lot of inner turmoil. It seems to me that Tat himself could have gone through some of the same struggles early on, albeit with a different end result.
BotchTheCrab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than anything... I'm just bored with the feminism topic on Sinfest. I don't really disagree with anything I've read in the strip since gender-bias issues began dominating the strip. But whereas I used to regard Sinfest as alternately dynamic, funny, touching, cute and cool, above all it had a lot of variety and scope. Lately it's just the same topic, over and over, rarely with anything insightful other than once again pointing out that, generally speaking, all the males in the strip are biased and all the can-do-no-wrong females are fighting and/or realizing this. Yes. I got it. Yes. I agree. Can we make this part of the Sinfest world rather than have it dominate it?

Of course, the talented Tatsuya Ishida is free to make whatever webcomic he likes. And of course, no one is forcing me to read it. It is for this reason that I've waited so long to make a comment of any kind in this forum. This comment here will probably not do anything.

But are there readers here who, apart from agreeing with the topic matter, are happy that this topic matter so completely dominates the strip? Are there many readers who are glad of this? Or are there more readers like me who, while granting that Mr Ishida can create whatever strip he likes, lament that it has become so single-minded?

Last edited by BotchTheCrab on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right! because all that stuff with li'l e, that's _totally_ about the evils of male domination!

IT'S ALL SO SINGLE-FOCUS! WHY CAN'T TAT SHOW ANY LOVE FOR THAT SWEET BOY, LI'L E?
BotchTheCrab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse: Your sarcasm isn't constructive.

I never implied that every single Sinfest comic strip of late is related to feminism. Yesterday's didn't. However, surveying the last few weeks, approximately 20 of the last 50 were directly related to the feminism topic. So, about 40%. I feel rather sure that if I went back further, that percentage would actually increase, especially when the feminists on the bikes were dominating the strip.

Whether you think 40% is a lot or not is completely subjective. I think it's a lot.
Alpha Aim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet in a nutshell. Or forums anyway. A place where you'll find boundless love, or seething hate. There's something for everybody.

BotchTheCrab wrote:

Are there many readers who are glad of this? Or are there more readers like me who, while grating that Mr Ishida can create whatever strip he likes, lament that it has become so single-minded?

I want more Lil'E. And Squig, and Barackstar, the angels and many, many more.
Which makes me wonder, how long will it take for these arcs to end? Will these go on forever? He's been drawing these since Jan 2000, going by the first strip. I can imagine this comic going on to 2020, surprisingly.
So yeah BotchTheCrab, I can relate.
But tread carefully, or the snark monsters will get you!

Last edited by Alpha Aim on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE LOVE YOU IT-GIRL!!
merest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Li'l E is depicted as a little boy - an innocent, even in the view of the some of the most radical feminists.

The macho demonic security guard is likeable, and offers protection to women; though I expect he is guilty of disinterested following whatever orders come from Below, for good or ill.

Gay Guy is blameless, and so far is the only example of an unoppressive male in the New Sinfest.

One could hypothesise that sexual interest in women is always paired with being a patriarchal oppressor/dinglebro/dudebro/etc in this setting. I would like this Dworkinean thesis to be proved wrong.
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BotchTheCrab wrote:
mouse: Your sarcasm isn't constructive.

I never implied that every single Sinfest comic strip of late is related to feminism. Yesterday's didn't. However, surveying the last few weeks, approximately 20 of the last 50 were directly related to the feminism topic. So, about 40%. I feel rather sure that if I went back further, that percentage would actually increase, especially when the feminists on the bikes were dominating the strip.

Whether you think 40% is a lot or not is completely subjective. I think it's a lot.

i gave up on being constructive the first 50 times this complaint came up. i think there was an entire thread dedicated to complaining about how feminist the strip has become. you should go look that up, if you just want people who will be sympathetic.

and what you said, straight out was "Lately it's just the same topic, over and over ". so yeah, you pretty much did imply that all of the strips are related to feminism. i do give you credit for actually doing some research; but you failed to note that less than half of the recent strips are what you categorize as feminist. so, not exactly dominant, yah?
BotchTheCrab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arguing over whether the topic of feminism really dominates, sorta kinda dominates, or doesn't dominate at all wasn't really the point of my post. I would argue that if nearly half of the strips relate to a single topic, then that topic dominates, i.e., overshadows, permeates, controls, or governs. Regardless of degree, I don't think anyone would argue that feminism has become the main theme of the strip.

My post and my question could be put more succinctly:

Are you happy with the current degree to which the topic of feminism permeates Sinfest?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: