welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6/11 not everyone sucks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BotchTheCrab wrote:
Arguing over whether the topic of feminism really dominates, sorta kinda dominates, or doesn't dominate at all wasn't really the point of my post. I would argue that if nearly half of the strips relate to a single topic, then that topic dominates, i.e., overshadows, permeates, controls, or governs. Regardless of degree, I don't think anyone would argue that feminism has become the main theme of the strip.

My post and my question could be put more succinctly:

Are you happy with the current degree to which the topic of feminism permeates Sinfest?

I am somewhat glad that this is the dominating topic, and not politics, for example. This is something many people don't seem to notice in our world, and still think girls should wear pink and skirts while guys are prohibited from displaying any sort of emotions.

What somewhat bothers me every now and then is some Sunday comics with the Sisterhood doing something against the Patriarchy, and that time could be used on other, more detailed characters and their development. I want to see what's going on with Slick and Sleaze, especially with Slick being overcome by the similar manner of hypocrisy he had going so far.
I also miss some interaction between a few characters, but that's something you get when you're juggling this many characters around.

I personally think this is an important question, so I'm not surprised the comic somewhat revolves around it, I approve of it. Our standard binary approach to gender and enforcing the expectations towards it is harmful, and I'm glad this comic speaks against it.
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRY ME A MAN RIVER!
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
"Fuck other people's oppinions, there are sheep....eerr.. i mean drones..err..i mean very intelligent people who agree with me unquestionably !"

Kinda sounds like a cult...oh wait, it IS.

"Dear sir, do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Tatsuya Ishida?"

You're still here?
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, somehow there is a growing contingent of people who are here just to complain about how much they hate...sorry, are bored by ...the feminism stuff.

also, how they really don't like the comic any more. not clear why they just don't go find a comic they _do_ like, but there you are.
BotchTheCrab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
yeah, somehow there is a growing contingent of people who are here just to complain about how much they hate...sorry, are bored by ...the feminism stuff.

also, how they really don't like the comic any more. not clear why they just don't go find a comic they _do_ like, but there you are.

Speaking for myself, I'm a long-time fan of Sinfest. Been reading it for many years, have read every single one of them. I am invested in the strip and think it's one of the best webcomics there is. I am also frankly stunned by the fact that it's a daily strip with such a high level of artistic quality.

And as a long-time reader and fan, the recent heavy, almost laborious focus on feminism is much less enjoyable than the entire previous history of the strip -- not because of the subject matter itself, but because of it's heavy-handedness and ubiquity.

I am hoping it is a phase of sorts. I am hoping the strip keeps the current elements -- I like the biker girls! I like Monique's new look and awareness! etc -- but that the topic is blended into the existing topics in a better balance.

As an aside... looking through reactions to people complaining about the ubiquity of the feminism topic, it seems to equate a frustration with the ubiquity of the topic with being against feminism. (see "cry me a man river" above) Isn't it possible to agree with everything that's being said, but to be tired of hearing it all the time? Like a politician you support whose canvassers keep knocking on your door anyway? Can't a reader agree with a message, but still be frustrated by how many times he or she receives it? Maybe all these people who are complaining aren't just sexist pigs?
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you mean, sorta like how i feel frustrated at reading the same complaints over and over again?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a phase, so save yourself the time and get out now. Unless you like hanging around a forum for a comic that bores you?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
It's not a phase

How do you know this? Sure it's very pervasive now... just like when cigarette smokers first quit and can't shut up about smoking. They eventually mellow.
Vancore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BotchTheCrab wrote:
mouse wrote:

Speaking for myself, I'm a long-time fan of Sinfest. Been reading it for many years, have read every single one of them. I am invested in the strip and think it's one of the best webcomics there is. I am also frankly stunned by the fact that it's a daily strip with such a high level of artistic quality.

And as a long-time reader and fan, the recent heavy, almost laborious focus on feminism is much less enjoyable than the entire previous history of the strip -- not because of the subject matter itself, but because of it's heavy-handedness and ubiquity.

I am hoping it is a phase of sorts. I am hoping the strip keeps the current elements -- I like the biker girls! I like Monique's new look and awareness! etc -- but that the topic is blended into the existing topics in a better balance.

As an aside... looking through reactions to people complaining about the ubiquity of the feminism topic, it seems to equate a frustration with the ubiquity of the topic with being against feminism. (see "cry me a man river" above) Isn't it possible to agree with everything that's being said, but to be tired of hearing it all the time? Like a politician you support whose canvassers keep knocking on your door anyway? Can't a reader agree with a message, but still be frustrated by how many times he or she receives it? Maybe all these people who are complaining aren't just sexist pigs?

The menu has changed, the old stuff had its flavor but the master chef has decided to move into different dishes he wishes to serve. Some people don't like it, some don't think he's found a good way to serve it, others are just fine with the new taste. To me the flavor is interesting, I enjoy how he works with the recipes and builds on what he learns now. Adding a bit of this, mixing a bit of that.

But all this talk of food is making me hungry, excuse me.
BotchTheCrab

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
you mean, sorta like how i feel frustrated at reading the same complaints over and over again?

Well, then take your own advice: if you don't like what you're reading, don't read it.

As you may or may not have noticed, this thread was my first time posting in the forums. Though the feminism topic has been pervasive for some time, today was when I was finally compelled to comment myself.

Whereas to you I may be just part of a wave of complainers, you, mouse, have served as my primary experience with the wave of anti-complainers. Tell me: do you feel you have done a good job representing the supporters? Because I felt a little unduly attacked, and I'm not convinced it was solely because of my complaint about the frequency of the feminism topic.

How many of the supporters of the current feminism trend are defending its ubiquity versus its message? Are they even two distinct topics to most of you, or are they largely lumped together?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BotchTheCrab wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
It's not a phase

How do you know this? Sure it's very pervasive now... just like when cigarette smokers first quit and can't shut up about smoking. They eventually mellow.

Common cult knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not here to represent anybody but myself. other forumites are more than capable of representing themselves. i read the threads because they are generally interesting. someone who is "finally compelled to comment myself" but who clearly has not bothered to read any of the threads (because if you had, you would know this complaint has been made, repeatedly) - you are not interesting, and i see no reason to encourage you. had you bothered to read any of the other threads, you would have noticed that sarcasm, snarkiness and outright insult are a common feature here. it's part of why us regulars like the place. sorry if you feel unduly attacked - maybe next time you join a forum, you will read at little bit of it first? you know, just to acclimate yourself.

and had you bothered to read any other threads, you would have some idea of how many people defend the comic, feminism in general, and how well we separate the two.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand this idea Tat has a cult of personality with people never disagreeing with him. That's a least a little wrong.

I like to think the Sinfest forums rates decentralized hivemind status. We are bees!

BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZ
BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZ
BUZZBUZZBUZZBUZZBUTZBUTZBUTZ
BUTZBUTZBUTTZBUTTZBUTTZBUTTZBUTTZ

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUTTZBUTTZBUTTZBUTTZEXBUTTZEX
BUTTZEXBUTTZEXBUTTZEXBUTTZEX

i miss benny....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: