welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-12: Beautiful Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, this is the first strip I've genuinely liked in a while. I am not inclined to blame 'society' for Monique's gloomy recidivism into narcissism - as an intelligent and Matrix-awakened woman, it seems strange to suppose that her mood can be the thrall of beguiling displays in shopwindows! - but this is still a good depiction of the different worlds people occupy, despite outward circumstances being shared, because of dissimilar ideologies and personal problems. There is nothing original in the thought, but it's still shown well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
Tell that to the people who called me a fat fuck on a daily basis for a solid 5 years, and only stopped in senior year because they were scared of me at that point.

Mostly, I'd say that is a lot more to do with School-age BS. Most of it stopped by like 10th grade in my area, but basically before that, it was all cliques and peer pressure to make fun of others so you feel better. It's never fun...and it's never right. But it happens.

However, it's true that what was said, that women feel that pressure more, as their worth is often equated to it by the media. You see unattractive successful guys, or even in Hollywood, unattractive guys...that are funny. But women of the same? Not to discredit how much society shames everyone not fit to standard, but as a whole, society places it's actual "value" on women based on their looks. It only "favors" men who are prettier. That's the main difference.

It's not that either sex probably gets told things more than the other when overweight/unhealthy. Because they do. But society places a stigma that signifies women's overall worth with body image, where as guys can get places with looks, but it's not the first thing always.

Also, there's the fact that society expects guys to look "in shape" where as the "shape" it wants for women isn't something you can work out and eat better to achieve. (MAYBE if you don't eat...thought that's not "better") Unless you're lucky like my wife is, where like some, she was simply born with a specific body type, it's pretty much impossible to achieve what society dictates women should look like. And that's not fair to anyone. It's not fair that society pretty much says the worth of any woman who can NEVER achieve that shape is less than one who can. And it's not fair that people like my wife get disrespected by other women (and men sometimes) who are mad that she got lucky with genetics and act like she's the cause of their problems...or immediately call her bulimic, obsessed with her looks, shallow, un-intelligent, etc. How often by comparison do you see men born with good genes in a situation where they're ridiculed for having the looks? Not very often at all, because it doesn't carry the same societal worth. It's just a bonus.

My god, you're so full of shit.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one here is interested in your take on things guest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Guest's avatar, because it's such a bright symbol of "Skip ahead." I've managed not to catch a glimpse of anything he's said for quite awhile now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

I see you are back because you are a slave to your habits and bitterness.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm insulted.
guest didn't call me full of shit.

*sniffle*

GUEST Y U DO DIS
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though for whatever society "dictates" on how you should eat, what you should look like, and what makes you so special - you can always just disregard that shit and throw it out the window, especially if you're not surrounded by dumb fucks who reinforce the stupid, arrogant ideas just because their mothers told them so.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
Though for whatever society "dictates" on how you should eat, what you should look like, and what makes you so special - you can always just disregard that shit and throw it out the window, especially if you're not surrounded by dumb fucks who reinforce the stupid, arrogant ideas just because their mothers told them so.

yeah, but that doesn't make them go away. "just disregard that shit and throw it out the window" is a lot easier said than done, which is why "just disregard that shit and throw it out the window" is usually trite and useless advice.
Rune

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Zhuinden wrote:

yeah, but that doesn't make them go away. "just disregard that shit and throw it out the window" is a lot easier said than done, which is why "just disregard that shit and throw it out the window" is usually trite and useless advice.

Usually because the defenestration of the shit's source--the shitters, if you will--is generally regarded as a criminal action. There is always more shit where the first shit came from.

Heh, I said "shit" a lot.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since, being part of the culture, it's not just whether you buy into it, but whether it changes the value others assign to you and the products of your effort. You may not even know you're fat (or skinny), but you will be judged for your weight. If you perceive yourself as overweight (even if you aren't) you may perceive negative feedback as a reflection of being fat, rather than someone judging you, and thus taking a hit to self-esteem, which can negatively impact health behaviors.

Which is to say that people will still act prejudicially toward you, and it can still negatively impact you, even if you don't personally accept the value of the judgment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
Guest wrote:

I see you are back because you are a slave to your habits and bitterness.

And you remain passive aggressive and smug. Nice to be consistent.

Anyway. If you think the stigma of fat-shaming isn't the same for men as it is for women, you're a fucking idiot.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but isn't thinking everyone who isn't you is a fucking idiot your baseline?
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*waits for Guest to use his given name, but spell it wrong, in a condescending rant punctuated by disbelief that anyone doesn't believe the way Guest believes*

I'm calling this one now. I'll come back in 10 or 15 pages to collect my "I told you so"s.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I defend the notion that fat shaming is equally as bad for men and women, boys and girls, and your response to this is ridicule. Nice one.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, my response to you is ridicule, because you are ridiculous. Don't confuse my dislike for you with my dislike for any of your positions - although I think those are often equally ridiculous.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: