welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-12: Beautiful Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1163
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:

No, but he did just call me an asshole even though he was the one being an asshole. I know. Words. They're difficult to understand sometimes. What country were you from again?

You, on the other hand, I don't even know why you're here. You seem far too preoccupied with burying your nose up other people's assholes, and I recall the old Sinfest used to frown on that sort of thing. Sycophants and all that. But I guess some things do change. And yes, right now I am being an asshole. When in Rome.

When in doubt, mock people's intelligence and then motivations. Fail troll logic all the way! Hehehee

Have you been on Youtube too much? You seem to think that works. Or that it'll upset me? Because...yeah. Not so much.
Dogen wrote:
*proving Adyon wrong* Wink

As my pappy used to say, you can't use logic to get someone out of a hole they didn't use logic to get into. Now that's not strictly true, but Guest is also just a generally deplorable person who defends child porn and mocks women who are afraid of rape, so he gets no quarter.

I don't know if it counts if you are an asshole to people who've you've been influenced over time to be an asshole to due to their own nature. I think for his comment to stand, you'd have to be that way to everyone.



Oh and Mouse comes in with facts to point things out. What will Guest do? Reasonable argument? Thoughtful debate? Find some reason to insult her and ignore any evidence? (My votes the latter, but WHO REALLY KNOWS. Dun dun dunnnnnn)
_________________


Last edited by Adyon on Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17278
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drat - i wish all the stories about the same article would cover the same thing! here's a quote from yet another story
Quote:
The pay discrepancy is telling because it reveals employers' inaccurate assumptions about overweight workers, especially women. According to the study:

Even though these stereotypes are inaccurate it appears that in the United States, obese employees are viewed by their employers as lazy and lacking in self-discipline...overweight women are consistently judged more harshly in the workplace than overweight men,

The rewards for underweight women are staggering, according to the study:

This means that, all else equal, a woman who is average weight earns $389,300 less across a 25-year career than a woman who is 25 lbs below average weight.

For men, being heavier can actually pay. Scrawny guys made about $8,000 less than average, while peak earners weighed 207 pounds.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/overweight-women-make-less-2012-4#ixzz2W2Mt6o5P


which is not to say that it's not hard on any kid to be made fun of for being fat. we really shouldn't be trying to say it is worse for one group of kids than another, because that seems to be saying that the kids who get teased slightly less don't have anything to complain about. what we need to do is figure out a way so teasing anyone about their weight is unacceptable.

but the bottom line is, by the time we get to be adults, society exacts measurable costs which are higher for overweight women than for overweight men.
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1163
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
but the bottom line is, by the time we get to be adults, society exacts measurable costs which are higher for overweight women than for overweight men.

Maybe he'll get it when you say it with posted evidence. Or maybe he'll ignore that part of your point like he did with me both times and go, "But nuh-uh! Everyonez gets made fun of whose are fats! Gyaaah!!"

Laughing
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1188
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
while peak earners weighed 207 pounds.


Oddly enough, that is exactly the maximum 'normal' BMI for a large framed, 6',4" man. I wonder if they went by BMI weight groups or whether that's just coincidence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1103
Location: Hel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think guest should provide a reasonable argument and engage in thoughtful debate out of the kindness and generosity of his soul.

guest, don't let me down. Be nice and polite and thoughtful.


Do it for Queen and country. For the American way. For Asgard. For science. For great justice. For teh lulz.

If you don't want to do it for that, do it just to prove everyone's judgement wrong.
_________________
Greetings, fool mortals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10795
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
No, but he did just call me an asshole even though he was the one being an asshole.

In the real world we can both be assholes, and me being an asshole to you doesn't preclude you from being one also. I know. Words. Hilarious! The difference is, I pick on you specifically because your posts are the purulent exudate of a terrible mind.

Quote:
I know. Words. They're difficult to understand sometimes. What country were you from again?

Condescending... but not very creative. C for effort.

Quote:
I guess that's just the kind of discussion that's been replaced at Sinfest. Dissent and you get the flying monkeys, although I didn't realise Dogen had been demoted. Hmm. You're right, he always was the level-headed one. I wonder what happened.

Dogen didn't get demoted. You did. Dogen is still the friendly character he always was. Just not to you. You turned into such a herpetic whitlow that Dogen no longer has time for your bullshit. But he does have time to mock you endlessly.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
And you'll notice I addressed your point (Actually you probably won't) in my first post you quoted and my reply to you. That even if men and women equally get ridiculed for their weight, it's not dictated by society to be men's "worth" like it is for women. Being made fun of and having something amount to one's worth are NOT THE SAME THING. That's why you lack reading comprehension. =P


I'm going to ignore your grammatical argument because it's a) irrelevant and b) dumb.

So men and women, boys and girls, are equally shamed for being fat, but society only dictates the worth of one of them? I see. That's probably why you see so many fat Adonis commercials, where fat men get all the chicks and fat men are propped up as desirable and fat men on fat posters and ... [whisper] That doesn't happen? Oh. I must have been thinking of something else.

mouse wrote:
drat - i wish all the stories about the same article would cover the same thing! here's a quote from yet another story
Quote:
The pay discrepancy is telling because it reveals employers' inaccurate assumptions about overweight workers, especially women. According to the study:

Even though these stereotypes are inaccurate it appears that in the United States, obese employees are viewed by their employers as lazy and lacking in self-discipline...overweight women are consistently judged more harshly in the workplace than overweight men,

The rewards for underweight women are staggering, according to the study:

This means that, all else equal, a woman who is average weight earns $389,300 less across a 25-year career than a woman who is 25 lbs below average weight.

For men, being heavier can actually pay. Scrawny guys made about $8,000 less than average, while peak earners weighed 207 pounds.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/overweight-women-make-less-2012-4#ixzz2W2Mt6o5P


which is not to say that it's not hard on any kid to be made fun of for being fat. we really shouldn't be trying to say it is worse for one group of kids than another, because that seems to be saying that the kids who get teased slightly less don't have anything to complain about. what we need to do is figure out a way so teasing anyone about their weight is unacceptable.

but the bottom line is, by the time we get to be adults, society exacts measurable costs which are higher for overweight women than for overweight men.


So the study was meant to specifically document the "weight to salary" input, their salary in proportion to their weight?
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10795
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Quote:
while peak earners weighed 207 pounds.


Oddly enough, that is exactly the maximum 'normal' BMI for a large framed, 6',4" man. I wonder if they went by BMI weight groups or whether that's just coincidence.

Basing your data on weight rather than BMI or some other standardized measure of obesity seems odd in a study on the effects of obesity. Not all 207lbs people are overweight, so the fact that the highest earners weighed 207lbs is meaningless. If the highest earners had BMIs of 25-30 that would be more in line with their theory.

Of course, I don't trust the reporting of science any farther than I can throw the journalist, since many of them aren't experts in the fields they write about (just generally interested in science) or write based on a press release from a university/journal.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Guest



Joined: 15 Aug 2006
Posts: 2178

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
*proving Adyon wrong* Wink

As my pappy used to say, you can't use logic to get someone out of a hole they didn't use logic to get into. Now that's not strictly true, but Guest is also just a generally deplorable person who defends child porn and mocks women who are afraid of rape, so he gets no quarter.


So we're back to that again. You know, I strongly remember how I definitely did not do any of those things, but whatever. You're stuck in asshole mode. I get it.
_________________
"Apparently so. But suppose you throw a coin enough times, suppose one day. . . it lands on its edge."
--Amy Hennig, Soul Reaver 2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10795
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you'd have to be about 6'5" (1.95 meters) in order to be anything other than overweight at 207 pounds... soooo... I think it's safe to assume that almost all, if not all of their participants who hit peak earning were overweight.

But it's still odd not to correlate earning with BMI or some other standardized measure of obesity.
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1188
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Of course, you'd have to be about 6'5" (1.95 meters) in order to be anything other than overweight at 207 pounds... soooo... I think it's safe to assume that almost all, if not all of their participants who hit peak earning were overweight.

But it's still odd not to correlate earning with BMI or some other standardized measure of obesity.


Apparently BMI calculators use different standards, because 207lbs was the upper bound for 6',4" on the one I used.

On the other hand, I apparently need to be 6',11" to be 'normal' with my current weight. I'm 6',4", so I guess it's not that bad.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dogen



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 10795
Location: Bellingham, WA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Dogen wrote:
*proving Adyon wrong* Wink

As my pappy used to say, you can't use logic to get someone out of a hole they didn't use logic to get into. Now that's not strictly true, but Guest is also just a generally deplorable person who defends child porn and mocks women who are afraid of rape, so he gets no quarter.


So we're back to that again. You know, I strongly remember how I definitely did not do any of those things, but whatever. You're stuck in asshole mode. I get it.

No, I was there. You don't get to whitewash the past. And you don't get to live it down, either. You're our new Dragonwriter. You need a catchphrase. Have you considered "this ends now?"
_________________
"Worse comes to worst, my people come first, but my tribe lives on every country on earth. Iíll do anything to protect them from hurt, the human race is what I serve." - Baba Brinkman
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9552

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that Guest would show up out of the blue with a bunch of pretty straightforward insults and then complain histrionically and self-righteously about being mocked.

WAIT. Yes I can believe this, because it's Guest, the poor deranged boy.

Guest you should probably get back to furiously wanking over the jailbait children pictures you saved from the tyrranical reddit crackdown, make fun of a few women for taking precautions related to the potential to be raped, put a grease fire out with your face, go back to forums where it is okay to take the red pill and call women out on their bitchy double standards, and call it a day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 9552

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWAITING GUEST'S PREDICTABLE ATTEMPT AT BACKSMACKô
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1163
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
I'm going to ignore your grammatical argument because it's a) irrelevant and b) dumb.

L....O......L..............

So in a situation where you started with nothing but an attack on grammar, when in doubt, you attempt to mock my rebuttal as irrelevant and dumb because you don't have anything good to say? The irony is so thick it's palpable. But I agree. If you stopped finding asinine things to pick apart like grammar, we can move on.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group