Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's a dudebro? How would you define it?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: What's a dudebro? How would you define it? Reply with quote

Dudebro has been a reoccurring phrase in Sinfest, ever since the following comic.

But what exactly does the phrase Dudebro mean? While reading the forums, sometimes I have this odd feeling that it's ambiguous and sometimes even a generic insult, instead of addressing what it stands for. What do you think?

Is a dudebro merely just the oversexualized gender-binary patriarchal thinker, or something completely different?
Gibson22

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I imagine dudebros, I kind of imagine these guys. But I think you can say that "dudebro" for this portion of the internet are those who don't agree with Tat's recent messages on feminism.

Paste fail. Sad The link for that strip is here: http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=285
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I think it's a comparison to the stereotypical frat-boy, and their tendency to use the words "dude" and "bro".

Which I suppose I should be insulted by, because I use those words myself on occasion...

I hadn't really thought about it until now.
redshirt26

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would define "dudebro" as a man who views himself superior to all women. I am not sure if that is true to this comic because the last few strips have the Sisterhood hating all men.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dudebro™ is a state of mind, brah. You just gotta let it flow through you, dood.

Channel your inner misogyny and douchebaggery.

It's kind of like the dark side of the Force.

....except instead of cookies, you get beer.

Well, you don't actually get beer.

You still have to buy it.

also, the beer is optional

and you should probably refer to a beer as a "brewski"

y'knowski, to fit inski

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Tue May 14, 2013 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
redshirt26

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:

mmmmmmm, cookies

Thanks, Heretical Rants. Now I'm in the mood for beer cookies. And I pretty certain I just made it up.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redshirt26 wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:

mmmmmmm, cookies

Thanks, Heretical Rants. Now I'm in the mood for beer cookies. And I pretty certain I just made it up.

glad I could help
mouse

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently came across something called 'beer spread', but on trying to find it again, it appears that it also involves a lot of cheese.

not that that is a _bad_ thing.....
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sinfest definition is "douchebag" and/or "misogynist," I think.

Outside of sinfest, 4chan--I believe--coined the term to help describe people on /v/. Essentially, it's guy that wears a backwards cap(white), popped collar, and likely owns an Xbox. He also lifts, or claims to. He thinks you should lift too, unless you're a girl.
Male fraternity brother attending school at most any university throughout the United States. Characterized by an eagerness to consume alcohol, celebrate friendship and empathy towards the concept of doing something potentially horrific and/or humiliating in order to doncievably gain heightened repute and accelerated social status. Known to consumate such ideals by the incessant repeating of the brands "dude", and "bro".[1]
Jody

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:

This. It's basically a guy that wallows in his own privilege while being actively and deliberately unaware of same.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
But I think you can say that "dudebro" for this portion of the internet are those who don't agree with Tat's recent messages on feminism.

And that is why you don't understand the conversations being had.

I'm going to sum up the whining that happens here in one sentence. Ready?

No, I don't think you are ready.

But the bro peoples must know. So....

"I don't think feminists reason at all, so they just fling poop like monkeys. Because I think this, I will neither consider anything they have to say nor research their points so I can make sure I understand what I am refuting. And then I'm going to call them a pack of harpies and pounce every chance I get to say that they really want to kill all men and fit the stereotypes I gleefully indulge in."

Hey, look! I did it without capslock!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take?

A man or boy so unfortunately consumed by the notions of over-the-top masculine performance and the fear of being seen as feminine (inextricably presupposing that female people and things are lesser and more deserving of scorn, dismissal, ridicule, censure, and being in all ways put down and put aside,) that he overcompensates with exaggerated male gender performance, and bullying and mockery of female and/or not-male-enough things and people, in order to separate himself from the "lesser" class of person, to secure his sense of male privilege and social standing, and to generally protect himself from abuse by being on the side of the abusers.

May or may not also be a closet-case homophobe overcompensating in order to prove his heterosexuality for all of the same above reasons.
Hekateras

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
Lich Mong wrote:

This. It's basically a guy that wallows in his own privilege while being actively and deliberately unaware of same.

This. Also a frequent offender of all the points listed in Derailing for Dummies, combined with a sort of nonchalant jokey attitude that insists he's not a bad guy, feminists are just over-reacting and making too big a deal out of things. Very prone to mansplaining.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Gibson22 wrote:
But I think you can say that "dudebro" for this portion of the internet are those who don't agree with Tat's recent messages on feminism.

And that is why you don't understand the conversations being had.

No, I don't think you are ready.

But the bro peoples must know. So....

"I don't think feminists reason at all, so they just fling poop like monkeys. Because I think this, I will neither consider anything they have to say nor research their points so I can make sure I understand what I am refuting. And then I'm going to call them a pack of harpies and pounce every chance I get to say that they really want to kill all men and fit the stereotypes I gleefully indulge in."

Hey, look! I did it without capslock!

The...the k-k-knowledge! S-S-Suddenly I u-understand e-everything! I-It's just too much! I-I AAAAAAAAUGH!

stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what happens when you try to ingest alcohol through your eyeballs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: