Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-14: Critically Acclaimed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. [Proverbs 16:18]

stripeypants wrote:
Who says she's talking to the patriarchy?

Panel 3 says she's talking to the Patriarchy.

But that doesn't mean that it was The Patriarchy. The Patriarchy's reaction and the BOK could have been two entirely separate phenomena, both in reaction to the same thing.

Why does the opening of a portal to Hell sound like a chicken, anyway? BOK. What's that about? Wink
Yrvani

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most obvious examples of these aren't in the private sphere but in the public or corporate sphere.
Theia

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would assume that the same powers that caused the words to drop also caused the ground to collapse beneath her. Doing the whole symbolical lowering of her and such. So she'd be talking to whoever did that. I'd say it's the Patriarchy, given that the words dropping has usually been (implicitly, at least) attributed to them (it?).

Chickens can be cool too. Let's be accepting of chickens.
lostinube

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that BOK is a play on the manga sound effect ボコ (boko):
http://thejadednetwork.com/sfx/browse/boko/
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
This seems off to me because I've seen such outbursts of unfiltered euphoria more often from females, due to how they weren't taught to suppress their emotions and all that.

ah, but just because one is female does not mean one is a _lady_. ladies are well-mannered and quiet and most definitely suppress their emotions. they don't do unfiltered _anything_.
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Adyon wrote:
This comic, hahahaah! Here faces...Love it.

Also, Happy Birthday Tekii! Mine was yesterday actually. O_O So for me, it felt like weird timing for you to post that.

Mine was two days ago. (Three now in an hour here.)

June b-day party!

Wwooooo!!! Well, post post post, post...ummm post? (Is that enough posts sinces I'm late?) Happy Birthday to you too!

*Late reply* *cough*

Also thanks for those who wished me Happy Birthday too! =P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pride comes before a fall. Some people take it a bit more literally than others, however =P

Now... does her fall constitute the metaphorical representation of women not being allowed to think well of themselves (not even in relation to feminism or anything, but the self-inflicted aspects as well), or is it a broader stroke of simply stating that hell would love to drag anyone in that isn't obsessed with their morality? Could be instead a reflection upon writers and artists in general, where it's often suggested that you have to be depressed to be a truly great artist/writer?

Such an open question, with so many possibilities I haven't even suggested.

Of course, looking at this board, and it's standard blinders as default equipment you get handed when you join, I suppose everyone will assume "patriarchy!", as that seems to be the only topic anyone can talk about as of late, but I think there's a lot more depth to it than that, and it would be an injustice to limit it to just that singular, limited interpretation when it can cover so many others. =P
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? We get a visual depiction of the patriarchy in "The Patrix" view, which has meant nothing else but Patriarchy the entire time it's been used, and you think you sound -smart- by calling those who interpret along those explicitly-depicted lines blindered?

Bahahahahahahahahaha!
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... er... yeah.

The floating words have been explicitly revealed as representative of patriarchy.

Or rather, The Patriarchy™. It actually does function as a subsidiary of DevilCorp™.

There is, however, the mystery of how this BoK! is connected with other BoK!s that have occurred in the comic.
Katsuni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Seriously? We get a visual depiction of the patriarchy in "The Patrix" view, which has meant nothing else but Patriarchy the entire time it's been used, and you think you sound -smart- by calling those who interpret along those explicitly-depicted lines blindered?

Bahahahahahahahahaha!

I'm not debating that it's related to the patriarchy; I'm simply stating that it can exist on more than one level =P

Tat's shown himself to be quite the adept writer at times, practically a poet in terms of being able to weave multiple meanings into a single line of dialogue. To limit it to *JUST* the most obvious, is to discredit him ^.~
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katsuni wrote:
Rune wrote:

Bahahahahahahahahaha!

I'm not debating that it's related to the patriarchy; I'm simply stating that it can exist on more than one level =P

Tat's shown himself to be quite the adept writer at times, practically a poet in terms of being able to weave multiple meanings into a single line of dialogue. To limit it to *JUST* the most obvious, is to discredit him ^.~

Maybe try to bring that thought up without insulting everyone you're talking to next time, hmm? Might get taken a bit more seriously.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other people have tried to dilute the patrarchy matrix text so they can derail and say, "Look, Tat's not actually talking about the patriarchy! He's talking about universal themes." But the text began when Sinfest started covering feminist themes, and it displays things about gender roles and those who enforce them.

There are other subtle power structures and nuanced roles people are forced into, so the matrix-style text could talk about those things. But Tat is talking about feminism, full stop.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Other people have tried to dilute the patrarchy matrix text so they can derail and say, "Look, Tat's not actually talking about the patriarchy! He's talking about universal themes." But the text began when Sinfest started covering feminist themes, and it displays things about gender roles and those who enforce them.

There are other subtle power structures and nuanced roles people are forced into, so the matrix-style text could talk about those things. But Tat is talking about feminism, full stop.

Which just seems to enrage the innernet grognards.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

Of course he's talking about the patriarchy in the foreground, but I still think he can be talking about other stuff as well at the same time =P

In the past, he's shown himself fully capable of layering in multiple concepts, such as pretty much every one of the calligraphy comics ever.

I just feel it's a disservice to look solely at the surface and not even bother to check past that point. He's a better writer than that from what I've seen.

Now, the patriarchy is obviously the most important aspect, hence why it's on the surface and the most blatantly obvious.

I don't honestly believe it's "full stop" after that point, is all. It's the biggest show, the main attraction, the point that is the one he wants to stress to it's fullest, but not the only possible interpretation by any means.

If Tat were a typical writer who preferred to stick to only a single topic at a time, never interwove various concepts, never tried to provoke discussion or thought in his works? Yeah, I'd buy into it just being "full stop". I just can't see it being that simple in context of who's writing it is all, especially when it's just dripping with alternate additions.
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you assuming that no one but you has a clue that it's not "just" Patriarchy? Do you have any concept what patriarchy all entails in practice?

Knock it off with the condescension. You're annoying, and not nearly as novel as you think you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: