Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Define "feminism" please
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Define "feminism" please Reply with quote

A few points to note, first.

This strip has the feel of community service to me now, or perhaps penance. Has the author committed some awful crime (against humanity or a girlfriend) where he feels he must push this particular message ad nauseum? Will we see Cathy trying on a bathing suit and saying "Aaack!" soon? Can a comic strip Jump the Shark?

The artwork, however, has been stellar. A few of his Sunday strips in particular come to mind. Looked like advanced story-boarding stuff to me and emotions played out well.

Anyway, on to my topic.

Someone (or many of you) please define "feminism" for me. Today's strip made me think about preconceived notions and I do indeed have a personal understanding of what feminism is and is not, but I'd like to see what you all have in mind. Please don't look it up, though. I want to know what is in your mind now. What is your notion?
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you aware that you come across as yet another boring, condescending shitbag? Is it an accident, or are you doing it on purpose? I want to know what is in your mind now. What is your notion?
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that does not involve sharks, jumping, or the Fonz.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: often a serious often response because often often often Reply with quote

Old Sinfest often did make me feel uncomfortable, but it had enough good points for me to read past that. I think Tat looked back at some of his old work and it made him uncomfortable, too.

Anyway, feminism is, generally, a social movement for equality that focuses on women's issues. At least, it should be that simple. It often isn't. When it isn't, it often gets horrible.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: often a serious often response because often often often Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Old Sinfest often did make me feel uncomfortable, but it had enough good points for me to read past that. I think Tat looked back at some of his old work and it made him uncomfortable, too.

Anyway, feminism is, generally, a social movement for equality that focuses on women's issues. At least, it should be that simple. It often isn't. When it isn't, it often gets horrible.

Like when some people decide that trans women might not count as women and claim that feminism doesn't have to include them. I just ragequit my university's skeptics group because of people trying to "debate" that sort of thing, claiming when I was angry and told them that that sort of "up for debate" attitude is what gets trans people killed because their genders aren't seen as legitimate that I was "arguing from emotion and being too angry" and then refusing to look at links I posted to educate them when they asked because "of course they'll agree with you". Demanding I educate them personally. Even though they had engaged with exactly zero of the points I had made, instead trying to make it about the semantics of what "debate" means because if everything isn't up for debate then you're not a true skeptic! Ignoring the fact that they weren't even questioning their own assumptions. Then someone posted a video saying the gender wage gap was a myth by an MRA who had written books about rape being "exciting" and I just peaced the fuck out of there because you know when someone unironically posts something by a shitbag like that, you are not in a good place.

</rant>
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Define "feminism" please Reply with quote

Guu wrote:
I want to know what is in your mind now. What is your notion?
I am tired. I am salty. I require silence.

Oops, just realized this doesn't count because I had to look it up. My bad!
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude...Guu...Like Dennis said. WTF

You've posted 4 times in 3 different threads (including this one). ALL times have been the same inane dribble that amounts to Tat full of some "guilt" emo repentance. (Though the jumping the shark accusation seems to be new at least) You're repeating yourself more than you claim Tat is! You seem to think he's going to care or we are. But the truth is, both times so far Shadowcell has posted this image for your general viewing pleasure as to Tat's most likely thoughts on your "opinion" of his current plot:

As for the what most people have to say about the definition of "feminism", see here:
http://www.sinfest.net/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6774

As for me. What do I think Feminism is? I think it's a movement for equality...centered the most around women, but that has been expanded in recent years to fight for all equality. It has many differing sects, some of which even are arguably as bad as what it fights, including ones that hate on transgenders, etc or promote actual violence. And those are often the ones people plaster everywhere as to what feminists REALLY are even though they're VERY in the minority (but the most vocal). Rolling Eyes

The vast majority is simply a group of people who point out and fight negative gender stereotypes. The vast majority is a little more casual than the "Sisterhood" was originally presented. It's about changing mindsets to not simply accept that a woman (or man for that matter) should be seen a particular way based on what is assumed to be the normal way of things, that each person should be able to choose their own way of behaving without someone mocking them or penalizing them for it. Also it's about stopping unsolicited violence against women of course, whatever form that takes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people don't really know how to google
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ You could always just click cleocatra's signature.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which space on the bingo card does this thread's OP give me? Is it like an instant-win sort of deal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I knew this reaction picture was gunna be useful.
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents (not worth much I know), but I never gave feminism much thought before this strip became inundated with the theme. Now I feel this strip has made me hate feminism, not embrace it.

I see nothing wrong with the traditional roles of women, I don't feel they create an inequality in our society. We all have our roles as mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, but those roles don't strictly define us, nor do they create inequality. Equality isn't about being the same, you can be different but equal. Men and women don't have to share the same roles in life to be equals. I view the roles or men and women it as a partnership, each performing to their particular skill set. There also isn't anything wrong with moving outside those traditional roles. Well, that's my input anyways. Razz
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go traditionally shit in your bed, you pointless little misfired sperm.
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, about as much as response as I expected. Immature behavior is still the norm here.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forlorn Devil wrote:
Yup, about as much as response as I expected. Immature behavior is still the norm here.

Clutch your pearls somewhere else pigfucker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: