welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monique - does she even have a personality any longer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
ah, there it is

Okay, I have to know now. What is this, where does it come from, and where can I watch the whole thing?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goddammit

everyone has to experience Moskau
you don't even have a choice in the matter
Monkey Mcdermott

MUST BEAT HIM TO THIS LINK

Goddamn you rants....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I may have died laughing at that! You lost by mere SECONDS Monkey!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kosaken hey! hey! hey hebt die Gläser hey (hey! hey!)
Natascha ha! ha! ha du bist schön (ah! ha!)
Towarisch hey hey hey auf das Leben hey (hey! hey!)
Auf Dein Wohl Bruder hey Bruder hooooooooooooooooooo
(hey! hey! hey! hey! )

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:23 am; edited 2 times in total
Katsuni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
If you stick around here, you'll see those conversations, and you'll probbly see why a number of leople are irritated by this post and the question. And you'll also run across people saying those who are tired of it are actually a cult of mean meanie-pants thought-lacking feminists who don't understand gender essentialism is real and gender roles must be rigdly defined by those filled by the antiquated matrons of their churches.

And they try the tack that they don't hate feminism, they just want the story to be good. Theytryo. show this by compaining about any feminist aracter ever. They also oscillate between both complaining Tat has made Slick an irrelevant villain, and bending over backwards to prove that actually Tat is still making pro-MRA anti-feminist comics that feminists are just too brainwashed to be able to interpret.

Yarr... I've been kinda stuck lurking for awhile now, but not too actively so. It's enough to notice that virtually every single thread breaks down into "RAWR PATRIARCHY!" and "RAWR MAN RIGHTS!" as well as "RAWR RELIGIOUS RIGHT!".

Personally, I find they're all a little blinded to the other's issues, and exaggerate their own issues to unrealistic proportions in many cases, while ignoring any potential validity on the other side of the fence entirely.

There's two sides to every coin (and usually more than two =P ), and this isn't a zero-sum pity party where only one side can be the victim. We're all getting screwed one way or another, and while some are getting screwed more than others, that doesn't invalidate the fact that others still have their own crap to deal with; if that were the case, we have internet access and therefore not a single bloody person here has any right to complain about anything if we're using that ridiculous of a metric to go by.

It's human nature though; we see the things that harm us and the things we value more easily, while stuff that doesn't directly enter into our immediate concerns is greyed out. If that weren't the case, we'd be perpetually paralyzed by the horrible things that go on in the world. We couldn't do much of anything with the knowledge that people are being killed, tortured, raped and so on in third world countries, or that even just down the street there's some homeless person who just had a business venture go to hell when they got falsely sued by a larger company and lost everything because they couldn't afford to pay the legal fees to defend themselves, and it really wasn't because they were lazy.

We're stuck trying to isolate ourselves to our own problems, but that's an instinctive reaction, not one which involves actual thought. If you want to pretend you're not just a typical animal, you bloody well better prove it by putting that brain of yours to use and actually consciously thinking about problems other than your own for a change.

If something's wrong, figure out what's wrong, isolate the root cause and fix it, rather than whining about it or complaining that it's not a big enough problem to bother with, or that someone else has bigger problems so you should STFU about your own problems.

We spend more time and energy on arguing about what we shouldn't do, to the point that we don't bother fixing ANYTHING.

That's just my take on things though =P
Quote:
There was a huge surge of MRAs earlier, which has slowed down a bit. So forum goers hav had to do ruthless, thankless weeding. I hope that helps explain the irritation forumgoers are showing about this

I hope you stick around, and I look forward to awesome discussions.

Yarr... well, I hope to have some fun discussions too! Just keep in mind that I trend heavily towards playing "devil's advocate". My normal method of discussion involves challenging absolutely everything everyone says, on both sides of an argument, and forcing them to actually think about what they're saying and prove it. I will poke so many bloody holes in your arguments it'll look like a block of swiss cheese was riddled with machine gun fire =P It's then your job to patch up the holes with explanations, and prove you actually understand what you're talking about, then retort against any points I made in kind to make me do the same.

Unless we challenge our beliefs, we don't actually hold any.

To quote myself (technically; it was my character, but used in a friend's comic, but she did steal the quote from me originally to use in the comic =P ):

"It doesn't matter if they're right; if they can't prove they're right, then they're wrong, no matter how right they may be."

In short, if you're right for the wrong reasons, it's just as bad as being wrong in most situations.

Understanding and comprehension of your beliefs is probably one of the biggest things I value, and I will be grilling people hardcore to support their own beliefs. It's not anti-feminist, nor is it anti-MRA, nor anti-anything; it's simply that you have to show your evidence, understand your position, and know what you're talking about. If you're wrong? Too bad; change your beliefs to match what you learn. If you refuse to learn, however, and don't want to change your mind despite piles of evidence to the contrary and a minimal or nonexistent understanding on your part... well, then I have no real interest in furthering that discussion.

I imagine that this is going to get me yelled at an awful lot around here, from what little I've seen of the conversations on this board. I can live with that. My goal isn't to be popular; it's to incite understanding, nothing more. My understanding, their understanding, it doesn't really matter to me if I learn something or I teach something or both. So long as we come out of a discussion with a greater understanding of our own views or the views of someone else, the conversation was a success in my opinion.

The only conversations that are truly worthless, are circle-jerk preaching to the choir and closed minded yelling back and forth of "UR RONG!" "NO U R!" for several pages =P
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Monique is having less elements to her personality.

But no. It doesn't cheapen the character. Never since the red pill had 'Nique had any sort of consistency or focus. It was a blank slate in which anything could come up, like a quirk roulette. I know that it's easy to miss her wacky self, but finding one or more centers of focus is a fundamental part in character development.

But yeah. This discussion has already happened.
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was FABULOUS. More close-ups of the hairless man, please.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Steve Bender?

Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everybody, Katsuni's gonna preach to us!

Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
You mean Steve Bender?

Yes.

Though, they're all so shiny.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey newbie, if you're going to play devils advocate, do yourself a favor say so at the start of your posts Because seriously, coming out at the end of a lengthy "debate" and going HA-HA I WAS PLAYING DEVILS ADVOCATE ALL ALONG! doesn't win friends or influence people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Hey newbie, if you're going to play devils advocate, do yourself a favor say so at the start of your posts Because seriously, coming out at the end of a lengthy "debate" and going HA-HA I WAS PLAYING DEVILS ADVOCATE ALL ALONG! doesn't win friends or influence people.

It, in fact, sounds a lot like condescending, ass-covering and backpedaling.
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the topic, here's the thing and my opinion...again. Instancow already pretty much covered that the focus has shifted to a message. But in most literature, once characters are established, you go through stories that they react to them. You know how they'll react based on what their personalities are. The Feminist stuff has overall been a major plot. As much as it's a message, it's really an ongoing series of events. So, because of that, they will affect the main characters in some way or another, as they have. So, we simply know Nique is the same as she's always been, except where we've seen her change. Those silly strips posted about her are examples of it. But since it's a plot, you're not going to see a lot of strips that simply show her personality, unless her personality currently can react to the point or it's the changes itself. It's striking in a way, because Tat used to ALWAYS be character personality centric, so some people see it as changing her personality, when it's just changing his storytelling approach to more story/message specific. He may have even gotten bored trying to simply make simply one off cute joke-a-day comics. It happens after nearly a decade. The last thing you want is to get burnt out, when you publish every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: