welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monique - does she even have a personality any longer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Well, I assume someone could set up a google alert (or something similar) about themselves and it would pull up mentions of them in forums as well.


Google's web crawler combs these forums fairly frequently, so if the name was up even just on the scale of hours there's a very good chance it would show up in the alert.


Mine was there for less than an hour, so I think we're good.


... aaand a Google search shows that they've indexed that post, but there isn't a cached version up...


BUT WHAT THE FUCK EVER, EH? IF HE'S TRACKING THAT, HE JUST GETS TO KNOW THAT WE STILL THINK HE'S A BUTTFACE IN THE WORST SENSE OF THE NAME.
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Samsally



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 6508

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Ah. Well... I attended Julliard...
I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school...
I travel quite extensively.
I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that.
I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT, NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY, NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK?

...

You think I'm qualified?

I totally used this quote to try and convince a game maker to let me beta their product.

I can't imagine why they didn't get back to me. Maybe they just forgot in their excitement.
_________________
Samsally the GrayAce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Well, I assume someone could set up a google alert (or something similar) about themselves and it would pull up mentions of them in forums as well.


Google's web crawler combs these forums fairly frequently, so if the name was up even just on the scale of hours there's a very good chance it would show up in the alert.


Mine was there for less than an hour, so I think we're good.


... aaand a Google search shows that they've indexed that post, but there isn't a cached version up...


BUT WHAT THE FUCK EVER, EH? IF HE'S TRACKING THAT, HE JUST GETS TO KNOW THAT WE STILL THINK HE'S A BUTTFACE IN THE WORST SENSE OF THE NAME.


I'm just full up on tedium today, is all.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ShadowCell



Joined: 03 Aug 2008
Posts: 6080
Location: California

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes, there's always that mythical "occasional good comic" that the shit-posters like Intervention are always "actually here for," and yet they never seem to indicate what that "occasional good comic" might be, and they never seem to say anything about it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rumor has it that you get a good comic about once every man-month
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Tat makes secret MRA comics that only MRAs have access to.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1163
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
That's cool, very bright and pink. Do you have a DA account or anything like that? I'm curious to see some of your art.

Oh yeah, I do. I had one forever that I recently started using. I would post something like every 6 months before that. Haha I mostly only ever stuck on random fanart works I did there or commissions that needed to be posted. (Actually sadly now that I think about it, I think almost half of my gallery on there IS commissions) Anyway, it's linked in my "www" thing under my signature. Also, more simply, it's at http://adyon.deviantart.com/

Also, I agree with you and Rune. It'd be fun to have a thread to post art at and catalog all the random comics made for the forums as well. I checked through and couldn't find one yet. Maybe if not, someone will just have to make it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Heretical Rants



Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 5344
Location: No.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* I made an illustrative art dump thread a while back that went a bit inactive due to apathy (it's just easier to dump random art elsewhere )

* besides that, there's always been a few somewhat art-related threads

* stripey made a general sinfest-made arts thread earlier today

* there hasn't been any concerted effort to catalogue comics/reaction drawings made for the forum (nor fancomics) as far as I know,
although Samsally did dump all or most of the reaction images she's made in the last couple years
_________________
butts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Adyon



Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 1163
Location: Behind my Cintiq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, so Stripey did. I checked earlier, but recently only checked the "General" section.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sojobo



Joined: 12 Jul 2006
Posts: 2443

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katsuni wrote:
Such is typically the case when two sides have strong opinions, and neither is speaking the same language that the other is, nor listening.

Such is even more typically the case when one "side" is wrong, and losing every argument because they are wrong, and obstinately refusing to admit that they are wrong. That you are suggesting the faults may lie equally with both "sides" demonstrates either a lack on honesty or a completely lack of ability to judge arguments.

Katsuni wrote:
Would it surprise you to consider that the same can be said in reverse

That it "can be said" doesn't make it true. If this is your best go at Devil's Advocacy, you should probably find a new schtick.

Katsuni wrote:
Unfortunately, as humans, we're typically limited to seeing things only from our own perspective, and are trained to demonize anyone who disagrees with us.

It's actually quite insulting that you are calling all of us narrow-minded knee-jerks. Was that intentional, or was it just carelessness? Either way, not a good attempt at dialogue. Anyway, you are wrong. If you hang around for a bit, you'll find that more than a few people are capable of reasoned discussion. We are not all educated evil.

Katsuni wrote:
It makes it rather difficult to have a discussion if you have a hard time seeing past the person making the argument to the argument itself, or if you can only see your own side of the story.

Perhaps you didn't notice that everything I said was about arguments themselves?

Katsuni wrote:
Regardless, I don't play favourites; if you say something which is not logically sound, I'll call you on it, and the same dealie for their side.

There are not two sides. There are a couple of individuals who try to glorify themselves by pretending there is a struggle, but they are fringe elements at best. The vast majority of the community dismisses them out of hand. They are a side like Holocaust deniers are a side.

Katsuni wrote:
I tend to describe my life by satisfaction, but also include justice within that rather than as a singular entity. If I'm a tiny bit unjust, but gain a great deal of joy from such, and it doesn't actively harm anyone else, or they receive an equal amount of joy, then I kinda view it as a fair trade.

I don't think you can be unjust without harming someone. Not even a tiny bit.

Katsuni wrote:
There are, however, those who have a strict and rigid set of morals which, if they break them, they can't enjoy anything. You may be correct that Monique has slid into that mindset

I am not saying this. Monique isn't failing to enjoy life because she is breaking her morals. She is failing to enjoy life because major paradigm shifts are really really hard without friends supporting you.

Also, you are painting too bleak a picture. There has been nothing in the strip suggesting that she is legalistic about her approach to living a just life. Living well and living well are not mutually exclusive.

Katsuni wrote:
Sojobo wrote:
Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
Because the position of Executive Farting Dicknose is filled.

Farting?

Yeah... I dunno. Some of the early attempts by Squidbunny were kind of amusing, but they've kinda degraded into trying too hard now, in my own opinion. Not really insulting, but not really funny either.

Look, he already told you the position was filled. Back off.
_________________
"To love deeply in one direction makes us more loving in all others."
- Anne-Sophie Swetchine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3750
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all good employers, I'm willing to let this position be contested by PIT FIGHT or GOOD TALK and so far Sojobo has bested you on GOOD TALK. Plus, he lives in fucking NEWCASTLE so you can be pretty sure he's already mailed a bunch of hepatitis-wasps with knives strapped to them to your house, and headbutted your dad.
_________________
"Eight hundred pounds of nitro, his boots are thunder as he plays."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dennis J. Squidbunny



Joined: 09 Jul 2006
Posts: 3750
Location: AUSTRALIA YOU FAKIR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. I'm posting less of my half hearted attempts at entertaining insults lol because my work week has started again. Where is Katsuni, oh ye of the avatar that looks like the sort of nightmares a pervert has after they swallow four tabs of acid and a kilos of glow sticks? Preparing yet another essay? Poopshitting themselves another back door compliment about how much of a favour they're doing for the compant they work for? Getting ready to use the phrase 'jill-of-all-trades' unironically?
_________________
"Eight hundred pounds of nitro, his boots are thunder as he plays."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ennis



Joined: 09 Jun 2013
Posts: 818
Location: Australia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually really like seeing Monique go through her current character development. It reminds me of when I first discovered feminism, it really was like just seeing the Matrix. Attitudes and things that I had previously not questioned were suddenly thrown into focus, and I was pretty much like her, despairing a little at the realisation that the patriarchy/kyriarchy is everywhere. Realising that you had been an unwitting participant, had been misogynist in certain areas and said such terrible things from ignorance. And you want to share your newfound knowledge, show other people the Matrix so you don't feel so alone in the world and maybe change it for the better a little, and when they don't listen to you and tell you that you're wrong and everything's fine when they haven't even researched it the tiniest bit, it hurts. I thought you were my friend, why are you suddenly gaslighting me and using the same arguments fauxgressive dudebros use?

You point out sexism in things and suddenly it's all "omg why don't you ever shut up about feminism" when it doesn't even make up a quarter of what you talk about, and the person doesn't actually have a topic in mind to discuss. So after weeks of that and dirty looks to shut you up before you even speak, you're afraid to say anything, but then THEY start provoking you and you get into hours long arguments, the whole time stating that you DON'T WANT TO DISCUSS THIS NOW because you're in class, or have assignments to do, but they don't want to let it go and you can't just cut it off then because they'll think they're right.

That's not even the worst of my experience. It got to the point where I would get an adrenaline rush and possibly start shaking whenever I heard the Facebook chat noise, because so much of the arguing took place over there. It tooks weeks after breaking off the "friendship" and not talking to them before I didn't immediately feel a deep sense of dread hearing that sound.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
katara



Joined: 21 Jun 2012
Posts: 19

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same for me, nique's a good example of how the process goes. I also really enjoyed it because I did a lot of the change at the same time Tat wrote nique's character development. And it's extremely frustrating and demeaning when people tell you that you don't have fun anymore because you refuse to participate in obvious sexist situations to have that supposed fun. So you learn there are other ways and try to find other people and it's complicated. I've been trying to find it for over a year and I still feel lonely and out of place most of the time (and this is without mentioning romantic situations). So I don't really bring the subject up anymore, unless someone is blatantly asking for it, and I try to put on the pink glasses, like my best friend calls it, so I don't go insane in the midst of it.
But life changes and so does reality and it's a constant struggle, both with yourself and your own identity and with everying surrounding you. Leave 'nique alone, she's doing it the best she knows, and just because you can't relate to her experiences doesn't mean a lot of us can't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rune



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same. And I think her awakening will be very familiar to a lot of people who have gone through the same thing. You lose close relationships because people can't or won't change with you, or accept your change, and you can't change back. Benign exchanges start to include constant "light-hearted" ribbing, that all adds up to feel so dismissive. People who you trusted yourself with treat you like a joke, or a stereotype, rather than a whole person that this thing matters to for good reason. You have to spend your personal social capital very, very, very carefully, and the costs are steep.

And then there are the knock-down, drag-out arguments.

When what you want is peace. You'd love to not -have- to be a feminist, you'd love for it to no longer be needed. But the problems it addresses don't, won't just go away. You can't unsee it. Not easilly, not without feeling like a lesser person, like you sold something of yourself in order to strike a bargain.

And no matter what you were like before, who you are gets cheapened in the eyes of at least some of the people who are supposed to care. While you are going through something of a traumatic shift, all they can care about is that you're just not as fun anymore, or some such shit.

Then some manifestation of spooled-up self-importance and ignorance on the internet goes and accuses a fairly human and relatable representation of that process "losing her personality." (And then demonstrating that she wouldn't know what a genuine personality was if her life depended on it.)

It's just more of the same shit, piled higher and deeper. (And no different from the in-world forum dudebros whining that "fun 'Nique" needs to come back.)

Which, by the way, is part of the PROBLEM that keeps people going through those kinds of things reserved, disengaged (from you,) unwilling to open up and have fun (with/for you,) and distant. You are, in part, CREATING the very problem you're whining about, when you judge people who are waking up to this sort of thing as if they're suddenly deficient in the personality department, rather than the reality, which is their personality is working harder than ever to adjust to their new reality and maintain integrity.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 15 of 19

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group