welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-17 Achievement Unlocked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katsuni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis and Theia may very well have a point; he could be pretty much just a "daemonic paraphernalia katamari ball" =P

He didn't seem nearly as obsessive about it as Seymour, but there was a comic when Lil'E was added where he was directly pointed out by God after Satan was making fun of God for having a fanboy, so it could very well be the case.

I dunno, Lil'E seemed a lot more obsessed with Satan himself, rather than the paraphernalia, and mostly seemed to just pick those up because it was expected, or because he was trying to show off to his idol all the evil stuff he had, rather than actually caring about the items themselves. Kind of sad, considering that Satan seems to sell the stuff with the assumption it's being sent to "people too stupid to know any better", which mostly explains why he just tended to roll his eyes when Lil'E showed up with Devil-brand junk.

Seymour seems to be far more flat out addicted to the toys and junk in general, with the connection to God being tenuous at best, so it'd be more fitting of an explanation if it were Seymour than Lil'E I think, but it can't be ruled out as a possibility.
Istancow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Rune's explanation.

Rune wrote:
Lily needs her to save him from the depths of his despair!

I also like this term, "daemonic paraphernalia katamari ball". It pleases me, and it and it's angelic counterpart aptly describe pre-lethe Lil' E and Seymour's respective habits.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just impressed by how much her avatar actually looks like HER.

Ennis wrote:
Although it might be foreshadowing for things to come. Maybe Lil'E or someone else (Seymour?) will need to be rescued from hell, and Pebbles will be all "I know this! Stabby stabby woo rescue time!"

Lil'E is already in a sort of hell. Problem is, it's not quite as obvious as the in-game Hell; it'll be more difficult for Pebbles to recognize it. And there's no opening monologue to tell her he's there, either.
Istancow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^this.
Istancow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^this.

Whoops! Double post.

Here, have a Monty Python sketch.

Last edited by Istancow on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Katsuni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:

Lil'E is already in a sort of hell. Problem is, it's not quite as obvious as the in-game Hell; it'll be more difficult for Pebbles to recognize it. And there's no opening monologue to tell her he's there, either.

Yeah... I dunno, I'd almost consider it a bit more closely described as purgatory, than hell.

The thing is though, Pebble probably won't see it; it's that kind of vague, non-entity which is hard to pin down and define. Even Lil'E himself probably doesn't really grasp it all that well, either. He knows he was a bad person, he knows that bad is... well... bad. He doesn't understand WHY he was evil, just that he was, and he feels guilty about it now because whatever trauma made him turn that way in the first place got erased Paycheck style.

So... considering that Pebble has a hard enough time understanding things like right and wrong as it is (theft, stabbing, bomfing, etc), what are the chances she'd be able to grasp as vague of a concept as the source of hurt feelings and react appropriately?

If Lil'E was sad about things said to him, she'd either offer him more of her cereal box, or try to attack whoever hurt his feelings, but wouldn't really be able to save him from it by any action other than showing she cared.

Perhaps that will be enough, but it might not be considering the depth of Lil'E's troubles.
sunember123

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People in Hell generally don't believe they deserve the punishment, they know they did something to warrant this, but unless they're Hitler, they don't know what it is.

In short, pretty much Lily's predicament. Well played Tat.
Katsuni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunember123 wrote:
People in Hell generally don't believe they deserve the punishment, they know they did something to warrant this, but unless they're Hitler, they don't know what it is.

Even Hitler didn't think he was in the wrong. People who do evil acts virtually never think of it as being wrong; we tend to rationalize or explain away our reasoning.

For example; Hitler honestly, truly believed that the Germans were the superiour race, that harming others didn't really matter as they were sub-human, and that so long as his people thrived, the rest of the world could burn because they didn't matter, and the rest of the world was willing to let Germany burn in the first place, so they started it after the conclusion of WW1 in his mind.

Germany was dying when the Nazi's took power, to be absolutely blunt. And to be even more blunt, the Nazi's actually saved it from turning into literally a third world country in less than a decade. They did so, however, at the expense of pretty much the entirety of Europe, and millions of lives.

In their minds though, it was all worth it; the history books may think poorly of them, but only because they lost the war. Had they won, they would have been heralded as saviours.

No one thinks they're evil... some people are just remarkably good at coming up with excuses for why the ends justify the means, or how "well that one didn't count", no matter how horrifying and evil the act itself may have been, there's always an excuse that someone will make to convince them it was for the greater good.
BiQ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013-06-17 Achievement Unlocked Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
This "level-down" concept amuses me.

I guess it can't be helped, but ... I can only think of the best friend as Amulet of Yendor, hell as Gehennom, ... yea, and I've never even got through Nethack.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katsuni wrote:
sunember123 wrote:

Even Hitler didn't think he was in the wrong. People who do evil acts virtually never think of it as being wrong; we tend to rationalize or explain away our reasoning.

For example; Hitler honestly, truly believed that the Germans were the superiour race, that harming others didn't really matter as they were sub-human, and that so long as his people thrived, the rest of the world could burn because they didn't matter, and the rest of the world was willing to let Germany burn in the first place, so they started it after the conclusion of WW1 in his mind.

Germany was dying when the Nazi's took power, to be absolutely blunt. And to be even more blunt, the Nazi's actually saved it from turning into literally a third world country in less than a decade. They did so, however, at the expense of pretty much the entirety of Europe, and millions of lives.

In their minds though, it was all worth it; the history books may think poorly of them, but only because they lost the war. Had they won, they would have been heralded as saviours.

No one thinks they're evil... some people are just remarkably good at coming up with excuses for why the ends justify the means, or how "well that one didn't count", no matter how horrifying and evil the act itself may have been, there's always an excuse that someone will make to convince them it was for the greater good.

Pretty much, yeah. Very few people wake up twirling their mustasches going "NYARHAHAHARAHAR! Today, I shall do eeeeviiiiilll, and get that damn Dudly Do-Right!"

Unfortuantely, a lot of folks DO think that evil folks think they're evil, so... when they do bad things, they also go "Well, but I don't feel evil, so clearly I can't be!"

It also probably doesn't help that a lot of people aren't really... *aware* of that voice in the back of their head? That little reptillian segment that points out how easy it would be to crush someone or destroy their feelings etc etc. I think Pratchett called it "the monkey" in Hat Full of Sky..
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Istancow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I woke up today twirling a moustache.

Twisted Evil
Theia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
I woke up today twirling a moustache.

Twisted Evil

'kay, we're dead now.
Leohan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My moustache is not long enough to twirl manually... But a couple of my moustache hairs had twirled on their own while I was asleep.

I shaved them a couple of hours ago. I fail at evil Sad
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot grow a moustache, I just sort of look like a plague victim when I try to grow my hair out.

(And it's not a puberty thing, given I'm *28*.. .. wait, no, 27. I think?)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.twogag.com/archives/2917

And, ooh, even better!

http://www.twogag.com/archives/2952
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: