welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-22: Rage
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: 2013-06-22: Rage Reply with quote

YESSS MY FIRST COMIC POST

I love Squig's expression in the last panel.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet I know what the MRA folks* will be running around ranting about this time.

*which is not to say that everyone who doesn't like this particular strip is an MRA, or that anyone who doesn't consider themselves a feminist or ally perfectly with feminist ideals is an MRA.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Chicken Little Reply with quote

OK, the sky is falling. Got it. Now what can we do about it? Or is this just going to be a constant whine fest about how unfair everything is for women? Can you please stop making the point and try to come up with some solutions through your characters that are more productive than impotent rage and finger pointing? We GET IT already! Or is it that you have no solutions and just enjoy the complaining and have a handy medium to vent?

And what about men who want things to be fair? How can we best go about it? Also, how much of this inequality (perceived or otherwise) a result of biology and nature? Worse, how much is enabled by the behavior of some women themselves? The door swings both ways here and this is turning into a straw man fest. I am immediately suspicious of conspiracy theories and perhaps I'm witnessing one here...?
Night Spade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope she has more than just rage or that will be just as empty an existance as being a sex-slave was.
Rune

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Spade wrote:
I hope she has more than just rage or that will be just as empty an existance as being a sex-slave was.

She only said that her "pleasure protocol" was supplanted with rage. So, she's only taken over by rage so far as she was previously controlled by the "pleasure protocol."

I don't think she's lost much there.

Though I do hope she gains more than that, if she didn't already come with more.
Rothide

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap... HOLY CRAP.

She said that her factory default was changed, and that her pleasure protocol was supplanted.

That means to supersede and replace.

She didn't say "I chose to not be one anymore."

Which could believably lead to some conclusions.

1. Primary coding is replaced, thus meaning that this Rage protocol was added, and not a part of the original coding. Or lesser, the already rage coding was put as a priority with a bit of reprogramming. Coding cannot change its priority by itself without it specifically being programmed to.

2. Darker. But when she gained the info from the broken bots, her free will was overwritten by the other robots programming. She didn't say I chose to replace it with another emotion, she said it was being repressed by the emotion, like there was no choice in the matter.

Now this probably ISN'T what tat was going for, but even if it wasn't his intention, this is still an interpretation I get out of it.

Maybe this could be "If you let one emotion control you, you loose what control you had over your life."?

Again my interprtation, probably not the right one for this board but eh well.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ffs shut up rothide you fucking moron, no one is interested in your take on things

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guu, here is a thing for you: http://aboutwhistles.tumblr.com/post/53493315278/ineedmasculism-misandry-mermaid-rebloggable
it is about the things you can do if you want to help Smile
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also re: "the door swings both ways"
http://aboutwhistles.tumblr.com/post/53571183141/shitstraightwhiteguyssay

yes i do have a tumblr post for everything actually
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's strip is obviously about Squigly's hopeless quest to lose his virginity

He can't even lose it mechanically Crying or Very sad
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Squig, so just treat her like something that does NOT exist solely for male pleasure. Rage protocols not activated, crisis averted. This should not be so difficult.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken Little Reply with quote

Guu wrote:
OK, the sky is falling. Got it. Now what can we do about it? Or is this just going to be a constant whine fest about how unfair everything is for women? Can you please stop making the point and try to come up with some solutions through your characters that are more productive than impotent rage and finger pointing? We GET IT already! Or is it that you have no solutions and just enjoy the complaining and have a handy medium to vent?

And what about men who want things to be fair? How can we best go about it? Also, how much of this inequality (perceived or otherwise) a result of biology and nature? Worse, how much is enabled by the behavior of some women themselves? The door swings both ways here and this is turning into a straw man fest. I am immediately suspicious of conspiracy theories and perhaps I'm witnessing one here...?

You want a lot from a comic strip artist. No one ever expected Bill Watterson to solve one of the fundamental problems facing society.

But the second half of your post makes me think you don't really want a solution so much as you want to complain and point out that guys also have problems. Thank God you did, too, because no one ever thinks about the men around here.*

* Except for the other 1,000,000 men who registered just to make posts complaining about the patriarchy arc and to remind us that men are also victims of inequality... even if that's a myopic point of view borne of privilege. Thanks for being guy #1,000,001.
Night Spade

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flavius Maximus wrote:
Today's strip is obviously about Squigly's hopeless quest to lose his virginity

He can't even lose it mechanically Crying or Very sad

Someone get this pig a fleshlight.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken Little Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Guu wrote:

You want a lot from a comic strip artist. No one ever expected Bill Watterson to solve one of the fundamental problems facing society

Nothing really to do about that so much, but I remember I had the tenth anniversary book of Calvin and Hobbes. It was fantastic. Bill Watterson wrote thoughts on his more favorite strips, experiences, and results. In one comic Calvin fantasized about flying an F-16 to blow up a school. He said he received so many angry letters. It just made me smile.

Anyway, I think its only fair that Tat have some opposition and complaints about his message. Calvin and Hobbes, to me, was timeless because its message was far more universal and not nearly as polarizing. He focused on the general characteristics of people, ideals of friendships, all without taking a particular side mostly. It was pure joy.

Tat is coming with a pretty heavy message, and one that he feels is important. Of course there are going to be people who don't like it. In short, Bill Watterson is like the Paul McCartney of the two and Tatsuya is the John Lenon.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Chicken Little Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
Tat is coming with a pretty heavy message, and one that he feels is important. Of course there are going to be people who don't like it. In short, Bill Watterson is like the Paul McCartney of the two and Tatsuya is the John Lenon.

Yeah, but my point was asking Tat to offer solutions is, again, asking a lot of a comic strip artist. He doesn't have to have solutions just because he sees there's a problem. Should I never talk about the issues going on in Syria unless I also have a plan to stop all the violence? Of course not. No one expects Dogen, Internet Forum Guy to have a solution. If I were Dogen, Secretary of State, you'd have a reason to expect me to offer solutions.

In short, complaining is one thing (and we get plenty of that), but demanding an internet cartoonist solve the issue of the patriarchy or stop talking about it is just making unreasonable demands to try and silence the issue. That is, I don't expect people say it because they want Tat to actually offer solutions. I think they say it because they want him to stop talking about things that make them uncomfortable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: