welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7/1/2013 Calligraphy 42
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 7/1/2013 Calligraphy 42 Reply with quote

tamalthean wrote:
On an unrelated note, reprogrammed fembot needs a proper name.

Yeah, well, plenty of characters with as much as two years or more seniority over her haven't gotten names yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath. :-/

Although it does raise the question, what name did Slick use for her while they were "dating"?

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4541

Really, the more I think about it, the odder it seems to me that Slick apparently didn't have sex with her. Various strips have made it quite clear that Slick wants not just a girlfriend but a girlfriend who will have sex with him (not, IMHO, a particularly unreasonable desire on his part), and it's ludicrous to think that DevilCorp doesn't equip their Fembots to be capable of sex because, seriously, how many straight men who want girlfriends don't want, specifically, girlfriends who will have sex with them?*

The fact that Slick apparently didn't have sex with the Fembot, with his Fembot, which no matter how creepy it may seem was indeed his property, for which he paid good money and which he owned, says a lot about Slick's character. I'm just not entirely sure what.

Maybe when Femmy and Slick meet again (if they ever do), Femmy will still be in love with him because, after all, we have no evidence to imply that part of her programming has changed. That could be awkward. And entertaining.

===

*it should go without saying (and yet...) that this is equally true of straight women and boyfriends, gay men and boyfriends, lesbians and girlfriends, and bisexuals and girlfriends and boyfriends; sure, different people attach different levels of importance to sex, but I doubt that there are all that many adults who enter theoretically long-term romantic relationships under the presumption that the sex will, at no point, ever, be had; a few, maybe, but not many
crayven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestive how the kanji for "woman" is part of the one for "rage".
Enforcing the stereotype of hysterical woman, mr ishida? Smile
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a tangent to my previous post, I’m reminded of a period of Monique’s development during which the ‘Nique-haters might have actually been able to make a case of some kind:

Back when ’Nique was at least pretending to seriously consider the possibility of being in a relationship with Slick, she expected Slick to adjust to her expectations but showed no interest whatsoever in adjusting to his, at all. That doesn’t seem very fair, does it? Relationships should involve compromises on BOTH sides.

Even I, an avowed ‘Nique fan, think ‘Nique was being kind of a jerk on those occasions, but then, I’ve never expected any fictional character to be perfect.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:

it's worse when you factor in the name I gave the other piece up top as a mnemonic prior to learning this character

slave is 奴, woman-crotch

and then slave-heart (which is also woman-crotch-heart) gives you 怒 --angry, a slave to one's passions.

Quote:
I thought the Chinese was 怒 -- what's the little extra bit? Is that for the Japanese version?

it's just a phonetic character representing the other syllable in the word Tat decided to write

probably just there because he needed to do something with the legs
Tinrac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Quick kanji correction Reply with quote

又 = また = again
叉 = また = crotch. The difference is that hardly noticeable point in the middle.

怒り and 奴 both use the former.
And that was today`s Japanese Kanji lesson interval.

Tune in again next month. And now back to regular forum stuff

*edit* 怒 --
Quote:
angry, a slave to one's passions

I like that. Slave to one`s passions...hmm[/quote]
tamalthean

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Yeah, well, plenty of characters with as much as two years or more seniority over her haven't gotten names yet, so I wouldn't hold my breath. :-/

True, but it seems Tat's gone on a bit of a naming binge as of late - within the past few months alone, we've gotten Lilith, Beth, Xanthe, Absinthe, BABY Blue...I know I'm missing a few. So...*fingers crossed*

aboutwhistles wrote:
Because my brain likes weird connections, I saw ikari and immediately thought of Icarus. But he's pride, not rage- different deadly sin.

Me too, me too!! Sadly, they also have the wrong root languages. But maybe the guy who's about to get what's coming to him could be Icarus. His pride caused him to do something...unadvised...and will likely be his downfall. Icarus vs. Ikari. (And now I'm thinking that sounds like a Nintendo vs. SNK Playmore game.)

crayven wrote:

As Heretical Rants just mentioned...that's just the tip of the iceberg.
If ever there was a language with institutionalized patriarchalism, it's Japanese (and probably Chinese, it being the basis of Japanese kanji, but I don't know enough about the nuances to say for sure). Besides slave (奴), you've got "be like" (as in, "similar to a man") (如), strange/mystery (妙), disturb/hinder (妨), being jealous (妬 or 嫉), wickedness AND seduce/assault/rape (姦), pleasure (娯), hate/dislike (嫌), "corrupt world"(娑婆), etc., etc. There are a few with positive-ish connotations, such as "like" and "joy", but they're mostly negative, and that's derived in part from the concept of yin and yang - yin being the dark, negative-energy, emotional feminine complement to the masculine, positive-energy, rational yang. That's tradition for ya.

The kanji character used here is almost never used as a stand-alone word in Japanese, which is probably why he threw in the hiragana - my guess is he's teaching us words, not just symbols.

And geeze - quite the little collection of Japanese scholars we've got here!
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
It's not a point, I just know Tat's track record, make something seemingly big start to happen then drop it like a ton of bricks. Mark my word there will not be a continuation to this untill next month.

I'm okay with that. I'm excited to see the story progress, but that doesn't mean it has to happen all at once. It could take forever to fully get her story and character development. I knew his style years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick kanji correction Reply with quote

Tinrac wrote:
又 = また = again
叉 = また = crotch. The difference is that hardly noticeable point in the middle.

怒り and 奴 both use the former.

Indeed, but thinking of them as primitives, "crotch" makes for better mnemonics, so I think of 又 as a crotch when it's used as a primitive in a character that I'm learning, and for those few characters that use 叉 as a primitive ... well, then it's a crotch with a drop.
Mercian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:

Only if you equate rage with Austen-esque handflapping cases of the vapours.
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Hey I thought we named her Botsy.

Time to press the panic button!

The Sisterhood Again!

NAMED
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's her name if your name is Faceless Forum-goer. It's a description given by an observer, not a name.

Botsy is my fan-name for her.
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
That's her name if your name is Faceless Forum-goer. It's a description given by an observer, not a name.

We are both wrong because Tat will never use a name that we come up with Sad
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flavius Maximus wrote:
Rune wrote:

We are both wrong because Tat will never use a name that we come up with Sad

I said fan-name, and I bring that up because Yinello already did. I'm not trying to claim that it actually is or should be her name. Rogue is a fan-name, too.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, Tat will name her Phyllis or Arlene or Gregory or something
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how the drone knew that Femmy (that's my nomination) had "gone rogue." For all he/she/it* knew, Slick had sent her to run an errand OSLT.

===

*see, that's a whole other thing right there...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: