welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7/1/2013 Calligraphy 42
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
yeah, Tat will name her Phyllis or Arlene or Gregory or something

Somehow, I really doubt Phyllis is actually in the running, though Eliza/Elisa or Galatea come to mind.
Amethyst Shadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related note, I need to find my Tori Amos cds again Very Happy
firezdog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification.

I just have to respond to the bit about Chinese characters. Chinese characters that use "女" as the meaning element are suspicious, but some of these characters only use "女" as the sound element. For instance, you gave the example of "如". I can't say for sure, but these sound similar enough in modern Chinese (nv vs. ru) that it's at least reasonable to suppose that “女” is serving as a sound element. It's always a little difficult, because the sounds have changed so much over time, but as we should all know, you have to be careful when speculating about the etymology of Chinese characters.

(By the way, "又" in Chinese means "also", whereas "叉" has various meanings -- to block, a fork -- among none of which I am able to find "slave". I don't know why "又" is used in "怒" -- it's may be an accretion. The meaning element in this case is certainly "心“,so actually I think there is nothing terribly suspicious about this particular character...)
Strawberrycocoa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TORI AMOS!

<3
Arkhron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I call her "Toasty" (the +40 pages thread and the last panel Very Happy)

Be compassionate
diagram12345

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
As a tangent to my previous post, I’m reminded of a period of Monique’s development during which the ‘Nique-haters might have actually been able to make a case of some kind:

Back when ’Nique was at least pretending to seriously consider the possibility of being in a relationship with Slick, she expected Slick to adjust to her expectations but showed no interest whatsoever in adjusting to his, at all. That doesn’t seem very fair, does it? Relationships should involve compromises on BOTH sides.

Even I, an avowed ‘Nique fan, think ‘Nique was being kind of a jerk on those occasions, but then, I’ve never expected any fictional character to be perfect.

She knew that she wasn't that into him and thus had all the leverage in their relationship. As a result, she knew that she could get him to submit to her likes and dislikes. Unkind? Yes, possibly. But Slick was a grown person and could make his own decisions about whether or not to pursue such a one-sided relationship.
merest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the usefulness of anger as a response to injustice - beyond, that is, the initial spur it provides. For, on the hormonal level, rage is physically harmful to the one who feels it. I think she would be better off acting with calm reason and calculation, and finding motivation in self-interest, altruism, and the defensibility of her position.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
I doubt the usefulness of anger as a response to injustice - beyond, that is, the initial spur it provides. For, on the hormonal level, rage is physically harmful to the one who feels it. I think she would be better off acting with calm reason and calculation, and finding motivation in self-interest, altruism, and the defensibility of her position.

it's not a thing you do because it's useful.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:

Hows the weather up there on your high horse you supercilious d-bag?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
merest wrote:

it's not a thing you do because it's useful.

I had seen her as trying to change the world and her place in it, and trying to use her anger as something motivating and empowering. Otherwise, wouldn't her rage just be a reaction? I think anger is probably a bad guide to action.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm not being clear.

Anger is not a thing people do because it's useful. Anger is an emotion that people feel when they perceive they have been hurt or wronged in some way.

Acting like you get to -choose- whether or not you're angry is... well. Pretty ridiculous. You get to choose how you behave, not how you feel. Sometimes, how you feel affects how you behave in direct ways. Rage is pretty good at doing that.
merest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
Perhaps I'm not being clear.

Anger is not a thing people do because it's useful. Anger is an emotion that people feel when they perceive they have been hurt or wronged in some way.

Acting like you get to -choose- whether or not you're angry is... well. Pretty ridiculous. You get to choose how you behave, not how you feel. Sometimes, how you feel affects how you behave in direct ways. Rage is pretty good at doing that.

I share your definition of anger, but am unsure that feelings are never chosen. Emotions often require assent to a judgement about external appearances; for, unless I have judged that I have been wronged or hurt, I will not feel anger. If judgement is a type of choice, emotions can be chosen.

The utility of anger is an old debate. In his Republic, Plato argued that it is good for soldiers to feel anger on the battlefield, for it will make them fight more ferociously, and thus more effectively. Aristotle disagreed on the grounds that anger is irrational, and therefore to be avoided as a motivation in important undertakings. Some insist that Plato is right, and that anger should be cultivated and exploited for its practical benefits. I suspect that Mr. Ishida is one of them. I respect the view, even though it's not my own.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure "willfully ignore unjust things" is a pretty horrible way to manage anger and/or affect change.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
If judgement is a type of choice, emotions can be chosen.

false. judgments may or may not be a type of choice (you're basically saying you "choose" to see the color red when you look at a red stop sign by "assenting to external appearances," which is false; you do not choose what the color is that you see), but that has no bearing at all on whether emotions are "chosen." if emotions really depended on judgments then it would be impossible to speak of someone being "carried away by their passions," because they would in fact not be; they would be "carried away by their judgments" instead, and that would make the meaning of the phrase impossible.

anyways, i always find it strange how it's the fembot's anger or nique's anger or xanthe's anger or whatever that we have to philosophize away and complain about because of its "utility."

Last edited by ShadowCell on Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
I'm pretty sure "willfully ignore unjust things" is a pretty horrible way to manage anger and/or affect change.

I'm pretty sure anger at unjust situations has been the catalyst for the majority of social changes for the positive actually.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: