welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7/5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The, er, Dick Detector may be for detecting necessary causes, instead of sufficient ones. A necessary cause is a factor that must be present for a phenomenon to follow, but can't cause it by itself. A sufficient cause will always produce the phenomenon. So, um, if the Sisterhood consider penises to be only a necessary cause of manhood, they might dismiss sincere cross-gender types as false alarms, and accept that they haver penises but aren't men. Rather like how bomb-detectors will always detecting nitrogenous compounds, without those things always being part of a bomb. Of course, for that to be consistent, they would have to refuse entry to women who identify as men.

Now I've written several lines about the causal mechanisms underlying dick detectors. Great.

Last edited by merest on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dicktector! I like it.
enchantedsleeper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured the "dick" in "dick detector" was the figurative rather than literal kind. As in, Slick is acting like a dick by being presumptuous and thinking he can waltz on in to a women-only space because he got given a cookie that one time.
Geareye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedsleeper wrote:
I figured the "dick" in "dick detector" was the figurative rather than literal kind. As in, Slick is acting like a dick by being presumptuous and thinking he can waltz on in to a women-only space because he got given a cookie that one time.

Exactly, I thought this too. I find it more likely that it detects people who act like a dick, rather than those being_born_with/having a dick. Or it could use an and/or function and detects those (("acting like a dick")-and- ("being born with"-or-"having a dick"))...the middle 'and' might also be an 'or', depending on the harshness of the rules.
LadySunami

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
The, er, Dick Detector may be for detecting necessary causes, instead of sufficient ones. A necessary cause is a factor that must be present for a phenomenon to follow, but can't cause it by itself. A sufficient cause will always produce the phenomenon. So, um, if the Sisterhood consider penises to be only a necessary cause of manhood, they might dismiss sincere cross-gender types as false alarms, and accept that they haver penises but aren't men. Rather like how bomb-detectors will always detecting nitrogenous compounds, without those things always being part of a bomb. Of course, for that to be consistent, they would have to refuse entry to women who identify as men.

Now I've written several lines about the causal mechanisms underlying dick detectors. Great.

Hey, I think those lines are quite clever. The science of dicktectors!
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Jerktector?
Onimaru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Slick, this is going to be a Harsh Lesson for the boy/manchild.

Let's hope he actually learns something this time. Smile
Ricia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd actually really like to see how the "Dicktector" reacts to a transwoman. Either the technology would be sophisticated enough to detect what you truly are (like the glasses translate what you really mean) and she's let in, confirming that transwomen are women, or the detector goes off and a problematic part of extreme feminism is addressed, ie transphobia. He could use a one off character.
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the spectrum of reactions:

Curly (Action Saboteur!) merely looks up.

Xanthe sits up and identifies the situation. ("It's the Troublalert, Super Friends!")

And Li'l Sis immediately has her Donatello stick at the ready.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's perfect with their personalities. Xanthe is most visible and in the front lines, Curly is silent and in the back but her actions have the most impact and Lil Sis is always eager to prove herself.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enchantedsleeper wrote:

I like this interpretation because I'm a dick and today is my birthday, so it's like the strip is talking about me!
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And often, no, trans women are not allowed in women only space, because a lot of people have decided they aren't women.

so a Transphobic Women's Safe Zone.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flavius Maximus wrote:
Dick Detector: Carpenters call them Stud Finders Very Happy

Quick! Add to my signature! Laughing

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tricksterson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
It's perfect with their personalities. Xanthe is most visible and in the front lines, Curly is silent and in the back but her actions have the most impact and Lil Sis is always eager to prove herself.

Another way of putting it would be Xanthe goes into alert, defensive mode, Lil' Sis goes unthinkingly into offensive mode and Curly is still chillin' while keeping an eye out to see what develops.

And Slick, you should have at least knocked and asked permission.
starkruzr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Quote:
And often, no, trans women are not allowed in women only space, because a lot of people have decided they aren't women.

so a Transphobic Women's Safe Zone.

Yeah, that does seem pretty wrong. But there is a whole segment of radical feminism that hates trans women pretty hard. You would think the irony would sink in, but I guess not.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: