welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-07-07 Tomboy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ronald, Pebbles' eyes are Hazel!

We always wondered

Laughing
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
I'll admit, this strip made me very disappointed.

Tat, you do realize you're being incredibly sexist in your strips right? That could be the entire point though.

I honestly expected more from Pebbles past, something better than... that.

The characters in Sinfest are becoming more and more bland with every strip. Monique used to be rich and diverse, now look at her. There used to be more to Slick than his dick, not anymore. Pebbles used to be an interesting character. A nice girl turned feral whose slowly regaining her humanity and adjusting to her new life as a Devil Girl.

Then we find out this strip that's how she's always been, it's just been 'suppressed' all this time. Tat just turned her from an interesting three-dimensional character with growth and development into a flat one-dimensional character that hasn't changed at all.

What's worse is that she's now a copy of virtually every other female in the Sinfest world. Just about all of the females are 'strong', 'independent' and 'capable' and have been like that since forever. There's no differences between them, they're all the same one-dimensional entity. The only exception I know of is Absinthe, but while she's not 'strong' she's made out to be 'cute' and 'adorable.'

The men? They're all worthless, pathetic wastes of space. Everyone of them has a serious critical flaw that is constantly abused and harped on while the females are all glorified.

Buddha being the exception of course. Buddha is just awesome, wish there was more of him.

Sinfest used to be a comic strip that catered to everyone because it treated everyone equally bad. Now? It's nothing but a sexist feminist comic.

I kept hoping that some day it'll become 'Sinfest' again, not 'Feminest' but that's probably asking for too much now. Tat's devoted too much time and energy into destroying his original characters, and creating new ones to replace them, to go back to his old ways.

I hung on for as long as I could, hoping to see some progress, but it's just getting worse and worse.

So why this will probably make many of you overjoyed, I'm done, not with just this thread, but Sinfest as a whole. I'll check back in a couple years to see if it's changed at all but as it is, in it's current incarnation... This comic is a pale shadow of it's former greatness and I can't stand to see Tat ruining it like this.

Farewell.

P.S.
And in case you've misinterpreted the tone of this message, it's disappointment. So put away all those jars you use to collect your dudebro tears because there aren't any to collect. There's only sincere disappointment in how Tat has developed his comic.

This is the best news ive heard all year. Don't bother coming back "in a few years time". You still won't be an interesting or worthwhile person to engage on a forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pebbles looked more like a teenager/young adult in the early strips, but she looks more like a kid slightly older than Lil'E now. Am I seeing things?

Also, man I can't believe Lil'E was still "Little Evil" just two years ago. I thought he'd been mind-wiped longer than that.
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricia wrote:
Too much information and er...I know nobody reads my posts so rather pointless too.
I at least skim everyone's posts except Monkey McDermott's
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was a great episode of The Amazing World of Gumball. The kids just wanted to have fun and use their common sense but it clashed with the deified parental figure's superstitious views on how society should run [even going as far as terrorism to push this agenda].

http://theamazingworldofgumball.wikia.com/wiki/The_Authority
http://youtu.be/XbyJ-qQ5CUk
Ricia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
Ricia wrote:
Too much information and er...I know nobody reads my posts so rather pointless too.
I at least skim everyone's posts except Monkey McDermott's

Oh well that's nice to know. I'm thinking maybe I need a nice avatar so I'm more then a faceless newbie.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Actually a boy playing with a doll would be "behaving like a girl", because it's heavily discouraged.

I have never seen anyone consider a (baby)doll a gender-neutral toy.

Well, some have tried to encourage that, but it hasn't taken off so far. (Does anyone but me remember "Free To Be You And Me"?)

Thanks for the link, I'll be checking that book out.

I recall seeing a bit about 'free to be you and me.' And then Fat Albert also had a few episodes about not gender policing other people.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawberrycocoa wrote:
Pebbles looked more like a teenager/young adult in the early strips, but she looks more like a kid slightly older than Lil'E now. Am I seeing things?

Also, man I can't believe Lil'E was still "Little Evil" just two years ago. I thought he'd been mind-wiped longer than that.

Art style shift. 'Nique and Fyoosh look softer and younger, too.
Istancow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOHOO BACKSTORY YAAAAY

TAT

I LOVE YOU
The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricia wrote:
Man, Pebbles I sympathize so much. My mom tried to do that with me. I was such a tomboy and my mom would constantly tell me "You're a girl." Thankfully she was a single mom with a ton of kids so she didn't have the time to shove me in dresses. It made me rebel too much though and I became ashamed of anything "girly" I liked and hid it. I thought if I showed any sign of femininity I would have to give up all my masculinity cause you could only be one or the other right? The gender bias is dangerous and damaging and it make me despise myself for years. Too much information and er...I know nobody reads my posts so rather pointless too. Still so much sympathy for Pebbles here for not being able to express herself just as she wants to express herself. I'm glad she's happy now. For the record, my mother is a good woman who meant well. I don't think Pebble's mom was a bad person either. Ignorant maybe but most likely not bad.

My neighbors tried to call Child's Services on my parents for letting their daughters run around the local woods/pond by ourselves. Cause there were snakes and other dangerous animals, they said. Mind you, we were well aware of the snakes, we brought plenty of them home and I saw several rattlers and moccasins and once an alligator snapping turtle.

Mind you, I have no idea if that had jack to do with our gender, or just not liking my parents or us. If it's the neighbor I think it was, I may have gotten in trouble for trespassing in the woods behind her house a couple times. Her tool shed was a popular hang out for frogs and lizards. And my self control as a child was rather lacking.
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Ronald wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
you're just irritated with the feminism themes

No, I'm not. I don't think I've ever said anything to the effect that I was, and if I did, it was in regard to a particular strip, not to the overall theme.

I'm a feminist. In a Pro-Choice Forum I used to frequent (where I used a gender-neutral screenname, not my first name, as I do here), I was regularly mistaken for a female commentator, because my perspective was perceived as that sympatico with most of the pro-choicers, most of whom were women and feminists. I still take a bit of pride in that. Smile

Being mistaken for a feminist would be a bigger feat, and you've not been mistaken for one here.

I also once asked if you had to be a woman to be a Feminazi and was promptly declared an Honorary Feminazi. I take pride in that too.

You don't think I'm a feminist? Okay. And if I valued your opinion, I...

You know, now that I think about it, I can't imagine what things would be like if I valued your opinion. The notion is that non-reality-based.

Thanks for your time.
Kendra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald, Rothide, and Athaotjeapiorjtp0i (whatever the fuck your name is) really need to just get a room. Preferably OFF the Sinfest forums. Go complain about feminism somewhere else. It's pretty much established that no one cares about your opinions on this forum. :/
In any case, I find this to be an extremely strange back story for Pebbles. Though, that's probably because I grew up in a household where my parents allowed me to choose my outfits and lifestyle. They didn't shame me when I went through my girly-girl phase, and they didn't shame me when I went through my tomboy phase. I'm grateful for that, because now I feel I've become a happy medium between the two. It's sad to think that familial pressure to fit into gender stereotypes still exists..

Last edited by Kendra on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flavius Maximus wrote:
Hey Ronald, Pebbles' eyes are Hazel!

We always wondered

Laughing

Actually, what I've always wondered is why she doesn't have pupils, not what color her eyes would be if she did. Wink Tat obviously draws her that way on purpose each and every time, so I presume that it's supposed to mean something.

My theory is that it means The Devil deliberately "created" her as a blank slate of (as noted) nothing but unfocused hostility, neither good nor evil, then left her to become whatever it was she'd become. Which leads to the question of why he did that, which...
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendra wrote:
Ronald, Rothide, and Athaotjeapiorjtp0i (whatever the fuck your name is) really need to just get a room.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

And that's okay. Because you've been around for less than five months and have made only twelve posts so far, so as likely as not, you have no idea what you're talking about, either. Thanks for your time.
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I decline to jump to conclusions about a new character -- I decline to buy into a stereotype -- and that somehow qualifies as complaining about feminism? WTH?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: