Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-07-07 Tomboy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricia wrote:
tricksterson wrote:
Ricia wrote:
Too much information and er...I know nobody reads my posts so rather pointless too.
I at least skim everyone's posts except Monkey McDermott's

Oh well that's nice to know. I'm thinking maybe I need a nice avatar so I'm more then a faceless newbie.

Nothing wrong with being faceless. Wink
LadySunami

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricia wrote:
Man, Pebbles I sympathize so much. My mom tried to do that with me. I was such a tomboy and my mom would constantly tell me "You're a girl." Thankfully she was a single mom with a ton of kids so she didn't have the time to shove me in dresses. It made me rebel too much though and I became ashamed of anything "girly" I liked and hid it. I thought if I showed any sign of femininity I would have to give up all my masculinity cause you could only be one or the other right? The gender bias is dangerous and damaging and it make me despise myself for years. Too much information and er...I know nobody reads my posts so rather pointless too. Still so much sympathy for Pebbles here for not being able to express herself just as she wants to express herself. I'm glad she's happy now. For the record, my mother is a good woman who meant well. I don't think Pebble's mom was a bad person either. Ignorant maybe but most likely not bad.

My aunts and uncles were/are all like that. They'd give me baby dolls, Barbies and, later on, perfumes as gifts every Christmas. Baby dolls are boring as hell and I developed skin allergies as I aged, so I was never terribly thrilled. Barbies were the only gifts from them I did like. They were fun to dress up and act out stories with. I'd steal my John Smith doll's sword for use by my preferred female dolls. A pity I only had the one sword though. They really need lady knight Barbies. I'd have loved having some female sized armor.

My mom and dad were pretty forward thinking thankfully. They'd give me Legos, train sets and the like. My dad had all kinds of Lego weapons, horses and dragons too which I would run off with. Fantasy creatures beat cars any day.
Jody

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
This comic gave me the biggest happy.

Then I read the comments.

Holy hell, guys? Seriously, WTF?

Get lost and let me have my happy!

Pebbles is still connected to her pre-BOMf self! And things that support a lot of previous speculation as to her having harbored rage and a suppressed self that the BOMF brought out and exaggerated, rather than just erasing her old personality. There is SO much there, and all you can see is, "ugh, mor feminism."

I agree that this makes her and Lil'E quite the pair, neither one being what their parent wanted them to be, or what they were "supposed" to be because of the bodies they were born into.

Come, ON, at least have some sort of compassion for how much that sucks.

It never ceases to amaze me, the lengths some people will go to to misinterpret one of Tat's toons just so they can feel like the victim.

On the bright side, it got Arthain to leave for a little while. I give 'em three days, a week tops. Smile
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT TODAY, DEATH, NOT TODAY!
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
I'll admit, this strip made me very disappointed.

Tat, you do realize you're being incredibly sexist in your strips right? That could be the entire point though.

I honestly expected more from Pebbles past, something better than... that.

The characters in Sinfest are becoming more and more bland with every strip. Monique used to be rich and diverse, now look at her. There used to be more to Slick than his dick, not anymore. Pebbles used to be an interesting character. A nice girl turned feral whose slowly regaining her humanity and adjusting to her new life as a Devil Girl.

Then we find out this strip that's how she's always been, it's just been 'suppressed' all this time. Tat just turned her from an interesting three-dimensional character with growth and development into a flat one-dimensional character that hasn't changed at all.

What's worse is that she's now a copy of virtually every other female in the Sinfest world. Just about all of the females are 'strong', 'independent' and 'capable' and have been like that since forever. There's no differences between them, they're all the same one-dimensional entity. The only exception I know of is Absinthe, but while she's not 'strong' she's made out to be 'cute' and 'adorable.'

The men? They're all worthless, pathetic wastes of space. Everyone of them has a serious critical flaw that is constantly abused and harped on while the females are all glorified.

Buddha being the exception of course. Buddha is just awesome, wish there was more of him.

Sinfest used to be a comic strip that catered to everyone because it treated everyone equally bad. Now? It's nothing but a sexist feminist comic.

I kept hoping that some day it'll become 'Sinfest' again, not 'Feminest' but that's probably asking for too much now. Tat's devoted too much time and energy into destroying his original characters, and creating new ones to replace them, to go back to his old ways.

I hung on for as long as I could, hoping to see some progress, but it's just getting worse and worse.

So why this will probably make many of you overjoyed, I'm done, not with just this thread, but Sinfest as a whole. I'll check back in a couple years to see if it's changed at all but as it is, in it's current incarnation... This comic is a pale shadow of it's former greatness and I can't stand to see Tat ruining it like this.

Farewell.

P.S.
And in case you've misinterpreted the tone of this message, it's disappointment. So put away all those jars you use to collect your dudebro tears because there aren't any to collect. There's only sincere disappointment in how Tat has developed his comic.

I'M NOT MAD, SON, JUST DISAPPOINTED.

Anyway, I was hoping that when you finally soiled yourself so much you were too high up and couldn't reach your keyboard that you would leave us in a more interesting way, like this:

Quote:
"...wait something's wrong here." The nurse said in a panic as the image started to waver and become fuzzy, "Something's happening to the patient!"

There was a poof and a cloud of smoke enveloped the bed.

"What the hell is going on here!" The doctor roared in anger. He waved his arms frantically as he tried to clear the smoke.

Suddenly his body quaked as two soundless shockwaves rattled his bones. Something wet and warm splashed across his face and body. He looked down in confusion at his now stained and wet lab coat, dark red blood covered every inch of it. Dark spidery alien writing slithered across the floor, up the walls and across the ceiling. A second set of explosions knocked the doctor to floor.

"Wh-What the h-hell." Fear gripped him now as he stared at his blood stained hands. It wasn't just his lab coat that was covered in the red substance, he was literally drenched in it. As the cloud of smoke disappeared he realized a horrible fact. The machine was destroyed, most of it was embedded in the far wall, and the two nurses were nowhere to be found, unless one would include the enormous amount of blood and gore that dripped from the ceiling and slid down the walls.

Suddenly he was yanked off the floor and body slammed into the bed where No. 84 Hanabi had once been. He twisted his head this way and that to see who his assailant was and came face to face with the twisted visage of the very same Sekirei he had been about to experiment on. The veins in and around her eyes were engorged and the look in them promised only pain and agony.

"H-How y-you s-should h-have b-been a-asleep!" The doctor quivered in fear.

Hanabi raised her bare arms, her perfect, flawless arms. "I've been healed for weeks. I used a dummy in my place so that I would still be allowed free movement through this Hospital." Hanabi bit out as she glared down at the doctor. She hated this doctor more than anyone she had ever hated before. She was pretty sure that right now she hated him even more than Madara.

With expert ease she whipped out some ninja wire and quickly tied the doctor to the bed. He struggled but he wasn't physically strong enough to stop Hanabi. "Y-You won't get away with this!"

She hit him in the stomach, hard. The doctor gasped as the air was knocked from his lungs. Hanabi grabbed his right hand and twisted it up, "Actually, I will get away with this. You think you can play with my body with repercussions?" Hanabi growled as she ripped off one of his finger nails, the doctor screamed in pain. "You think you can claim me as YOUR toy?" A second scream of agony tore through the room as she ripped off a second finger nail. "You dare try to steal MY precious bond with Naruto-kun!?" Another nail was ripped off. "YOU DARE THREATEN TO KILL MY CHILD?!" Hanabi roared as she ripped the entire tip of his fourth index finger off, nail and all. Hanabi went deathly quiet as she whispered the next part, "No one can hear you scream." The thumbnail on that hand was violently ripped off.

Despite Hanabi's proclamation the doctor still cried out, "NOOO STOP! SOMEONE HELP!" The doctor tried to scream for help as blood leaked from his fingertips.

"You are going to tell me everything." Hanabi said as she went back to the first finger and snapped the tip of it like a twig, "You have 15 nails left, 22 square feet of skin, 206 bones, 640 different muscles, 900 different ligaments and 22 organs." Hanabi's eyes seemed to glow with an eerie light. With a few quick taps of her fingers the blood stopped flowing out of the wounds in his fingers, "I can stop the flow of blood to any part of your body. I can keep you alive for a very long time and I have a lot of material to work with. You WILL tell me everything you know. I won't let you die and I won't let you slip into blissful slumber until I have torn every single thing from that sick twisted mind of yours! And when I am through with you I will have you BEG for death!"

The doctor could only scream helplessly as Hanabi went to work.

mmmm, top 5 percent
tricksterson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the plus side, Lily woke up and helped her.
Mercian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Mercian wrote:
The doll seems pretty much to imply 'behave like a girl' to me.

So if a boy wanted to play with a doll, he'd be "behaving like a girl"?

No, Ronald, a boy playing with a doll is fine, as is a girl playing with trucks, or a genderfluid child playing with a shaved weasel in a hat.

I'm talking about the implication of the action: that the mother is encouraging Pebbles to act in a traditional 'girl' role, by playing with a doll in her nice dress, instead of running around getting scruffy and playing with a sword. I'm not 'accusing' the mother of OMG RIGID GENDER ROLES OR DEATH. I'm talking about that specific action at that specific time.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercian wrote:
Ronald wrote:
Mercian wrote:

No, Ronald, a boy playing with a doll is fine, as is a girl playing with trucks, or a genderfluid child playing with a shaved weasel in a hat.

I'm talking about the implication of the action: that the mother is encouraging Pebbles to act in a traditional 'girl' role, by playing with a doll in her nice dress, instead of running around getting scruffy and playing with a sword. I'm not 'accusing' the mother of OMG RIGID GENDER ROLES OR DEATH. I'm talking about that specific action at that specific time.

I disagree.

Playing with a shaved weasel is NOT fine. Poor thing is going to be really uncomfortable when the hair starts growing back in, especially if it gets ingrown hairs! =(

Plus give how spazzy weasels and ferrets are, I doubt you could get it to stay in the hat long.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Mercian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Mercian wrote:
Ronald wrote:
Mercian wrote:

I disagree.

Playing with a shaved weasel is NOT fine. Poor thing is going to be really uncomfortable when the hair starts growing back in, especially if it gets ingrown hairs! =(

Plus give how spazzy weasels and ferrets are, I doubt you could get it to stay in the hat long.

You are right, and I retract that part of my statement. Please substitute 'novelty balloon animal with a thousand screaming faces' or other random diversion of your choice.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else notice that when Pebbles was originally bomf'd (the "loves Jesus and Ponies" strip), she was wearing the same overalls and a pair of sneakers?

A retcon, perhaps? Or maybe Pebbles eventually broke her mother's influence over her or became an adult?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Anyone else notice that when Pebbles was originally bomf'd (the "loves Jesus and Ponies" strip), she was wearing the same overalls and a pair of sneakers?

A retcon, perhaps? Or maybe Pebbles eventually broke her mother's influence over her or became an adult?

Almost certainly.
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:

Or they came to terms with it, I mean not all parents are complete assholes, even if they try to put norms on them.

Or she ditches the dress when she leaves the house.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Seriously, I decline to jump to conclusions about a new character -- I decline to buy into a stereotype -- and that somehow qualifies as complaining about feminism? WTH?

You decline to recognize that other people believe in and enforce that stereotype. If you decide the world is the way it should be rather than the way it is, you by necessity must ignore actual problems. And when people say, "No, really, there's this problem with gender norms being enforced on kids via teir toys" and you say in response, "It's sexist to say that, because this toy you label as a girl toy is gender neutral," then you refuse to acknowledge the problem that actually exists.

That's a crappy way to be an ally, though if you want to be a failly march straight ahead.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
Quote:
Despite Hanabi's proclamation the doctor still cried out, "NOOO STOP! SOMEONE HELP!" The doctor tried to scream for help as blood leaked from his fingertips.

mmmm, top 5 percent

"I like this show and tell method," Dogen said, offering his appreciation of both showing and telling.
Moor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I'm going to ignore all the previous comments and say that I really liked this comic -- I really like Pebbles' character, but once Lil'E's redemption arc started, I started to feel like Pebbles was sort of being just a Manic Pixie for him. I'm sure it's up for discussion how much she actually is/was, but I'm still glad that we're seeing her develop as her own character, as opposed to helping develop Lil'E's.

(Okay, now you call yell at me for ignoring all the previous comments.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: