welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-07-08: Women Only Space 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
Surprisingly low-key way to resolve the situation; I'm honestly surprised at the diplomacy of it. Perhaps, despite feeling betrayed by him, she still likes him on some level. But as for Xanthe, I am not sure that she holding her staff right

Xanthe is the one being diplomatic. The girl with the Donatello staff has no official name as of yet.
Theia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
So, the little sparkle mark between Slick and Xanthe in Panel 3, what if anything should that be taken to mean?

That's the thing they do in anime / cartoons where it's like this sharp keen looky thing. It makes the person look cool and focused and superior.
merest

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
merest wrote:
I am not sure that she holding her staff right; she couldn't swing it down upon his head, holding it thus, nor swing it at him. She would have no heft. The best she could do is poke him.

Of my somewhat limited knowledge of various types of Quarterstaff or stick fighting technique, that's actually a relatively proper stance. Minimal chance of breaking the staff, while still allowing for quick jabs, blocks, and parries.

Swinging a staff as one would a baseball bat makes for easily telegraphed movements, allowing for your opponent to grab it lengthwise or otherwise block it, as well as a high chance of breakage. The extra reach you would gain from swinging doesn't really outweigh the negatives, unless you were fighting against a very slow or unskilled opponent. Precise blows with a short, gripped up swing or quick jabs to sensitive areas (groin, abdomen, facial region) are a much safer bet.

Note the wide grip, to give better control, and the wide stance, to provide better stability.

TL;DR: I read a book on how to defend oneself with an umbrella (or any other stick-like object).

My knowledge on it is fairly limited, too - a year and a bit of amateurish staff use in tai chi, years ago. Though I can still do the flourishes, and basic swings. I take your point about precise, jabbing blows being a viable alternative to swinging it overhead or from the side. Only her foremost hand seems to grip the staff from undernearth, rather than overhand, as in your exemplar-image. I just ran the comic past someone I know who has some skill in martial arts, and she said it seemed viable, but was 'inefficient.'
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
My knowledge on it is fairly limited, too - a year and a bit of amateurish staff use in tai chi, years ago. Though I can still do the flourishes, and basic swings. I take your point about precise, jabbing blows being a viable alternative to swinging it overhead or from the side. Only her foremost hand seems to grip the staff from undernearth, rather than overhand, as in your exemplar-image. I just ran the comic past someone I know who has some skill in martial arts, and she said it seemed viable, but was 'inefficient.'

Might be an East vs West thing. The book I read (The Cane As A Weapon) was written based largely on European-style fencing guards, Quarterstaff use, and bayonet fighting (it also advocates the use the middle of the staff to knock opponents down). I know that Tambo. Hanbō, and the Eskrima disciplines put more emphasis on swings (especially with the Tambo being a one-handed weapon).
Onimaru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to post from one forum to another, but honestly I think you guys Have to see this foolishness :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/9423503300

Dickhead completely ignores that the basis of gaming males or females were looked down upon in it's early days, it wasn't a Men only place, that was just a foolish misconception as most games were and are marketed at men.

And it hasn't been just women who jumped on the Bandwagon, it's EVERYONE, the guys that beat up the 'geeks' in Elementary and Junior High for being a Game nerd are the same jerks who now spam obscenities on Xbox live playing Call of Duty about peoples Mothers.

Gaming was never a Male only area, girls have played just as long as we have and any conception that they haven't 'earned' their place is just sick.

Sorry for the random rant it just felt appropriate in a thread dealing with Sex Restricted Areas. Smile
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WoW forums are almost as bad as Youtube comments.
Onimaru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'You will never find a more wretched hive of Scum and Villainy'.

Except Youtube.... Or 4chan
tricksterson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Rothide wrote:
That pole girl needs to chill a bit, lest she fucks the team over someday by hurting someone that didn't deserve to be hurt.
Rolling Eyes

yeah, pretty lackluster attempt to find something to be a douche about.

Not trying to be a deuche, guess I was just pointing out the obvious.

The small girl has always been the more intense of the three, considering past comments, just pointing out if she keeps going this way someone is going to have a broken nose.
I wonder if Lil' Sis is there to make Xanthe come off as reasonable by comparison?

Is it me or does Xanthe look taller and older in the third panel? And why does she have a single angel sparkle next to her?
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
And why does she have a single angel sparkle next to her?

Theia wrote:
Ronald wrote:
So, the little sparkle mark between Slick and Xanthe in Panel 3, what if anything should that be taken to mean?

That's the thing they do in anime / cartoons where it's like this sharp keen looky thing. It makes the person look cool and focused and superior.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like he's getting addicted to them.

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he needs an intervention. or maybe for xanthe to butt into his life and start policing the amount of cookies he eats in a given period of time, kinda like my mom does for my dad. both would probably be good for the dweeb.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember when Xanthe used to pass as a cute, innocent little girl with a lollipop?

Yeah, me neither.
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
aboutwhistles wrote:
Oh, you mean the way patriarchal men, colonialist countries and everyone in the upper tiers of the kyriarchy have been doing for decades?

If that involves drawing a weapon on an unarmed man for the most minor of offenses then yes exactly like that...

Who is invading their clearly marked peaceful/private space.

Do you object to bouncers who are there to eject rule-breakers from clubs? Just having some muscle, and willingness to use it, behind you can have a huge dissuading effect on people who would otherwise take advantage, even if you'd rather use the diplomacy you also have at your disposal. Good cop, bad cop.

"But wahhh, wahhh, girls and oppressed people aren't supposed to be mean! They're supposed to use the nice way all the time! Not being nice is to get what they want breaks the way my world works! It makes me face unpleasantness in my interactions with them!"

Bite me.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Rothide wrote:
aboutwhistles wrote:
Oh, you mean the way patriarchal men, colonialist countries and everyone in the upper tiers of the kyriarchy have been doing for decades?

If that involves drawing a weapon on an unarmed man for the most minor of offenses then yes exactly like that...

Who is invading their clearly marked peaceful/private space.

Do you object to bouncers who are there to eject rule-breakers from clubs? Just having some muscle, and willingness to use it, behind you can have a huge dissuading effect on people who would otherwise take advantage, even if you'd rather use the diplomacy you also have at your disposal. Good cop, bad cop.

"But wahhh, wahhh, girls and oppressed people aren't supposed to be mean! They're supposed to use the nice way all the time! Not being nice is to get what they want breaks the way my world works! It makes me face unpleasantness in my interactions with them!"

Bite me.

<3

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may be completely random and I am probably waaaay off, but the way Xanthe's shades are drawn here, in much the same way Slick's shades get when he is having a Power Moment, and considering they both are similar-aged blondes who wear shades constantly, I am starting to get a wild speculation of seperated-at-birth from this strip. Long lost twin, maybe?

(caveat: wild speculation, circumstantial evidence, yadda yadda)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: