welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-07-08: Women Only Space 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mercian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
The problem with losing the meaning of "begging the question" is that it's not strictly synonymous with circular reasoning, and there's no good alternative for begs that aren't circular (unless we want to start using latin, which I don't).

The nearest I can think of is my mum's good old standby: "Because, that's why."

Dogen wrote:
Mercian wrote:
Do the folks here all have an academic grounding in this sort of thing (not just English usage and abusage, but all the logical fallacy stuff), or have you educated yourselves?

Yes to both questions? During my undergrad I minored in philosophy, but I chose the minor because I already enjoyed learning about logic and etymology. ShadowCell has a big fancy philosophy degree, though I don't know if he took many logic courses to get it or just knows stuff the way I know stuff (reading for fun).

Quote:
Edited to add: Also - thank you for explaining the term without being condescending.

ShadowCell is a big softie.

Very Happy I'm going to interpret that as "ShadowCell isn't a point-scoring bag of dicks who patronises the ignorant from his gilded sky-castle".

Seriously, though, I'm impressed, and newly aware of a big gap in my knowledge.

If this was a web comic about aggregation behaviour in marine snails, I'd be all over that shit.
Dogen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's been known to wee on the unsuspecting from his fancy California floating mansion from time to time, because like all philosophy majors he has bath tubs full of money and has lost touch with the common person. But if you can get past his occasional pissing on you, he's downright pleasant.
merest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Far be it from me to stoop to linguistic prescriptivism, although that particular phrase is pretty rough. [snip]

Don't worry about politeness. We don't.

Yes, that is the charm of this forum. Habits of civility are difficult to discard, but it is enlightening to converse with plain-spoken types of the sort I otherwise don't come across. It is rather like being dropped into an American council estate, and trying to make it out in one piece. Whether or not one escapes unscathed, the experience is instructive.

I studied a little symbolic logic at university. Sadly, it did not stick with me, for I did not value it at the time nearly as much as I should have. I have since read (merely in a self-educational sort of way) much in Aristotelian logic, which is less precise and flexible than modern logics, but, as they say, good enough for government work. Although I often err, and am an imperfect logician, I have often found the tool itself to be quite useful.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mercian wrote:
Very Happy I'm going to interpret that as "ShadowCell isn't a point-scoring bag of dicks who patronises the ignorant from his gilded sky-castle".

well, not always

sometimes i'm a point-scoring bag of dicks who patronizes the ignorant from my 500-hectare country estate that features real unicorns whose creation i commissioned from a shady genetics laboratory using a small fraction of my mega-billions
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who is reading this comic entirely out of context? I'm reading several double-entendres here. When did she start putting out her cookies for him to slap his tongue on? How is her position of authority not threatened for revealing this fact to her electorates? I was totally expecting someone here to scream like Arnold Shwartznegger did on that forgettable movie that teaches capitalists that burning cash on ungrateful people buys love every time , breaking the law is ok if you control all of the banks, shooting a actor to death in his sleep is forgivable if no one remembers his name and it promotes the feminist agenda. Seriously, what is up with that? Just tell him that your relationship isn't working out, Xanthe. Murder is not the answer. http://youtu.be/FvSoeJfvMh8

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/07/09/woman-hires-hitman-to-murder-husband/
Samsally

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
Mercian wrote:

well, not always

sometimes i'm a point-scoring bag of dicks who patronizes the ignorant from my 500-hectare country estate that features real unicorns whose creation i commissioned from a shady genetics laboratory using a small fraction of my mega-billions

I'm like 99% certain you just described Big D.
Theia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
Mercian wrote:

well, not always

Except with ponies, not unicorns.
Mercian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
Mercian wrote:

well, not always

Another secret identity revealed!
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poppycock. absolute poppycock. in fact i'd go so far as to call it balderdash and possibly even calumny!

i patronize the ignorant. the devil rips them off. big difference.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell would never sell a robot that would end up kicking the shit out of you.

But only because he lacks the technology.

The technology to pick which of you gets the shit kicked out of them.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems horribly inefficient to do it one at a time.
Mercian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
seems horribly inefficient to do it one at a time.

That's because you underestimate the value of a truly personalised service.
Rune

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
poppycock. absolute poppycock. in fact i'd go so far as to call it balderdash and possibly even calumny!

i patronize the ignorant. the devil rips them off. big difference.

Ripping off is for profit. Patronizing is for the love of the game.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sammich wrote:
Which brings me to the counterexample of racism. For 50 years Americans have tried to shame racism into submission. Did it work or

Gonna cut you off there and just say "It worked better than if people instead tried to make racists comfortable about their views in the hopes that polite persuasion would win them over, yes."
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take this moment to say I really like Dick Gregory's comedy. I found a book of transcripts of some of his shows, joking about segregation and how most of the time white peope hated him but during National Brotherhood Week he couldn't make any pans whatever - because white people woud come out of the woodwork to invite him everywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: