welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7/15 because why not
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
Rune wrote:
No one is saying that outright hatred of a group is right, though you might go back and read about the function of anger when it comes to recovery of self from oppression and abuse and at least get some sympathy.

I just cast an eye over every page of this thread, and didn't see anything about the functions of anger in recovering from oppression and abuse. But I would very much like to read something on that subject, as I don't understand it very well. If you or anyone else has some links, please give them.

All of this explaining and re-explaining to the same cavalcade of half-assed interest couched comfortably in dangerous ignorance is starting to blend together. It might be in one of the other recent threads.

But here, have this anyway, as a starter: http://www.spring.org.uk/2012/03/the-upside-of-anger-6-psychological-benefits-of-getting-mad.php
merest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
All of this explaining and re-explaining to the same cavalcade of half-assed interest couched comfortably in dangerous ignorance is starting to blend together. It might be in one of the other recent threads.

But here, have this anyway, as a starter: http://www.spring.org.uk/2012/03/the-upside-of-anger-6-psychological-benefits-of-getting-mad.php

It is good that your ability to read minds is balanced with a sense of self-righteousness; for self-righteousness without telepathy would be priggish. I feel sure that your world-weariness also prevents you from using your mental powers over-rashly.

Thanks for the link.
Valerie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
So why is hating 50% of the world population based on biological sex any more "justified"?

It's not justified. It's understandable.

Chat About
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
Zhuinden wrote:
So why is hating 50% of the world population based on biological sex any more "justified"?

It's not justified. It's understandable.

Very much this.

These conversations would be easier if anti-feminism posters here would stop operating under the assumption that all feminists are Trans Exclusionary Man Hating Radical Feminists. Because that's not where the feminists here at Sinfest are starting from. Not at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you* read http://www.everydaysexism.com/ and then have a long, hard think about why women might occasionally be hostile to men.

*not Stripey, the other people
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
Rune wrote:

It is good that your ability to read minds is balanced with a sense of self-righteousness; for self-righteousness without telepathy would be priggish. I feel sure that your world-weariness also prevents you from using your mental powers over-rashly.

Thanks for the link.

At least I can actually read what people write. You might want to work on that.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to write numerous replies, mostly about how I'm not anti-feminist as I do support gender equality (in fact, I wish it didn't go further than biological sex and thus sexual compatibility in terms of reproduction, and nothing else), I'm against the radical notion of it that actually does hate men (no matter who they are and what they are like, as long as they are male) - but then I realized I've been reading the comic wrong all along.
Lil'Sis is beating up a 'MISOGYNIST'. Squig is the one who asks "why do you hate men?" Thus, Squig is the one who creates the assumption that if you hate misogynists, then you hate men.

And that completely changes the context.

I was going to reply to Rune that I should have gone with the example of blacks hating whites in our current society, but with this in mind,
Lil'Sis really does actually only hate those who are hostile towards her as being part of the group.

I've proven myself wrong. Embarassed

Ennis wrote:
I suggest you* read http://www.everydaysexism.com/ and then have a long, hard think about why women might occasionally be hostile to men.

Fighting sexism with sexism solves nothing. You could be precautious, but there is no validity to punishing the undeserving with hostility.

http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/12/reasons-people-believe-feminism-hates-men/ Point #3.
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men who view it as hostility kind of need to get over themselves. There is good reason for women to be on guard against constant sexism and entitled jerks invading their space and demanding things of them. Get mad at the jerks who create that environment with men's faces on it, not the women who have to navigate it.

Last edited by Rune on Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
I was going to write numerous replies, mostly about how I'm not anti-feminist, I'm against the radical notion of it that actually does hate men (no matter who they are and what they are like, as long as they are male) - but then I realized I've been reading the comic wrong all along.
Lil'Sis is beating up a 'MISOGYNIST'. Squig is the one who asks "why do you hate men?" Thus, Squig is the one who creates the assumption that if you hate misogynists, then you hate men.

And that completely changes the context.

I was going to reply to Rune that I should have gone with the example of blacks hating whites in our current society, but with this in mind,
Lil'Sis really does actually only hate those who are hostile towards her as being part of the group.

I've proven myself wrong. Embarassed

Ennis wrote:

Fighting sexism with sexism solves nothing. You could be precautious, but there is no validity to punishing the undeserving with hostility.

http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/12/reasons-people-believe-feminism-hates-men/ Point #3.

Quote:
Being a feminist doesn’t mean you blame every individual man you know for hundreds of years of oppressive behavior. Just like you wouldn’t point at a random White person today and blame them for slavery, you can’t blame an individual man today for a history of sexism.

Dude, did you read the link at all? It's not women being like "omg your gender didn't use to let us vote" it's women telling stories of sexism in their EVERYDAY LIVES, how this happens all the time, they're scared to walk down the street because of catcalls and harassment from uh yeah, mainly men. So yes maybe they're not going to take kindly to being cornered in an elevator at 3am by a man even if they're actually a "really nice guy", that individual man may not have done something but she has a right to not feel okay in that situation, especially if she's had past experience with harassment in that situation. Maybe you made a sandwich joke that you didn't mean to be related to sexism but she's already had five guys in the office make jokes about her making them sandwiches while being eyefucked and she tells you to shove your joke up your arse. I seriously doubt that there are many women who are actively hostile to men at all times and in all situations, which is what you seem to think you are arguing against.

If you need a sort of comparison that might relate more personally to you, this is fairly good: http://www.theferrett.com/ferrettworks/2012/08/can-i-buy-you-a-coffee/
Jody

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear lord the comments in that Metrosexual article are nauseating.

But as long as we're posting links, here's a good one. Basically, it points out how the misogynist nature of our society foments an air of distrust between the genders.

http://www.shakesville.com/2009/08/terrible-bargain-we-have-regretfully.html

tl;dr: women don't trust men because of both the misogynists and the apologists who refuse to hold them accountable.
merest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:

An excellent save. Of course, being unable to read, I am not sure what you said. Something about wanting hay to be passed up to you in the clouds so that you can feed your high horse?
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
Rune wrote:

An excellent save. Of course, being unable to read, I am not sure what you said. Something about wanting hay to be passed up to you in the clouds so that you can feed your high horse?

Says the guy who can't scratch his ass without it sounding pretentious.
Valerie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
Rune wrote:

Translation:
"I don't want to admit that I'm not reading posts properly, so I'll just be an asshole instead to try and distract them."

Chat About
merest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
merest wrote:
Rune wrote:

Translation:
"I don't want to admit that I'm not reading posts properly, so I'll just be an asshole instead to try and distract them."

There's not really anything to understand. A consistent rhetorical strategy on this forum is to make allegations that lack substance; the content that supposedly backs it up is conveniently in some other thread. It is effectively nothing more than name-calling. However, there _is_ some practical benefit to be had from responding to such things: they provide a safe way to practice responding to aggression. I don't encounter much of it in real life, nor for that matter on other forums, so (naive as it may sound) I find it instructive, and of some practical benefit.
merest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
merest wrote:
Rune wrote:

Says the guy who can't scratch his ass without it sounding pretentious.

Horse, I said, not ass. But scratching behind the ears of any quadruped is kind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: