welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-07-19: Still Hurts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Motorcycle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forky & Tomey didn't die when entered the zone. They just became dormant.Once carried outside the zone they were as good as when entered.
Yrvani

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a comment on how she has problems facing her own issues and her problems with patriarchial systems and being a sexy devil girl. Problems with facing the reality about her exploitation and how she fears it would destroy her.
Valerie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ellf wrote:
It might be that the devil people are so consumed by their nature that when in the Reality Zone, this takes a physical form. Reality itself refuses to acknowledge their existence.

It's not that they're necessarily nonexistent, but it might be that their very existence is tied to what they are, and reality says that Devils are constantly being ravaged by that.

... Okay. That made very little sense.

Hello! I'm new.

Hey, welcome to the board!

That's a pretty interesting idea, too. Since demons are supposed to be suffering in Hell for all eternity, the reality zone makes it happen.

...Reality is Hell? Shocked

Chat About
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ellf, and welcome!

I had an idea of my own.

Suppose that, for the purposes of the strip, that demons and devils aren't real.

But the demon and devil people weren't always devils, right? They used to be humans.

So what if, when Fuschia crosses the boundary from magicalsinfestfantasyworld into the reality zone, she isn't actually disintegrating into nothingness?

She, like the books and the fork, is turning back into what she naturally was, without the addition of weird magic stuff.

When Fuschia crosses into the reality zone, she sheds her demon-ness and becomes Fuschia the human once again.

Or something like that.

And I don't know why the process would hurt.

Am I making any sense, or am I just sounding high?

Last edited by Istancow on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another mystery: why are my posts always double-spaced?
Valerie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Hello ellf, and welcome!

I had an idea of my own.

Suppose that, for the purposes of the strip, that demons and devils aren't real.

But the demon and devil people weren't always devils, right? They used to be humans.

So what if, when Fuschia crosses the boundary from magicalsinfestfantasyworld into the reality zone, she isn't actually disintegrating into nothingness?

She, like the books and the fork, is turning back into what she naturally was, without the addition of weird magic stuff.

When Fuschia crosses into the reality zone, she sheds her demon-ness and becomes Fuschia the human once again.

Or something like that.

Ooh, that's good, too! I guess it would hurt because the horns/tail would have to go, and maybe some other biological changes.

Chat About
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

It could just have to do with what she personally is dealing with. Other devil things don't survive in the reality zone (like the flying pitchforks), but Fuschia seems to be the only one who really wants to go there.

As she appears to be dealing with PTSD (Or it was outright said in the comic, I forget which now), this could be a metaphor for how she is unable to deal with the things that have happened to her - but she keeps working on being able to deal with reality.

Maybe if she continues to work at it, one day she'll be human? I don't know if someone who was made a devil person can un-devil themselves.

After looking back at another page: http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4527

I think the devil actually wants to be able to go to the reality zone as well. He just KNOWS what would happen if he tried though, so he doesn't even make the attempt like Fuchsia.
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
Hello ellf, and welcome!

I had an idea of my own.

Or something like that.

You're making sense. For a moment I was about to say that maybe only objects turn back to their original form, but then I remembered when Squiggy passed through and just turned into a normal pig. So I'm not sure anymore. It really is up in the air if she turns into a normal person, some demon like monstrosity, or into nothingness...
lostinube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two types of devil people, those that were human and those that are something between human and angel.

Just doing a cursory search, perhaps Blue and Fuschia are similar to Jinn. They were created by smokeless fire and can be good or evil, depending on the situation (or who they are guiding).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jinn
Rune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe what the reality zone is doing is burning/erasing the part of her that's not the "real her," and that's painful and frightening, but maybe enduring it is the "cure" and will help her recover/discover her real self, whatever that real self is after being a devil person for so long.
Ennis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what we need to figure out is if the "Reality Zone" is pretty much perfectly akin to our reality or something sort of similar but not exact. Because if it's meant to be practically the same, then Tat can't allow magic or devils or God (sorry Christians Razz) to exist. But what does this mean for the subjects who walk from a zone where their existence is permissible to one where it isn't allowed by the laws of physics? Logic would say if a human managed to transport themselves to another universe where, say, carbon somehow wasn't supported by the new laws of physics, they would instantly or near-instantly die. Maybe the reason Fuschia doesn't instantly die is that it isn't really a hard line like the sign would suggest but more a gradual fade in to the new laws (sans shading, which seems to activate instantly). If magic is an integral part of devils' biology (or whatever their zone's laws are) then to go into a place where it can't exist would be death. If, however, magic is something added on top of something like a human/mammal base, then the magic would disappear and they would just be a normal human/mammal, maybe still with horns and a tail. The fire could be Fuschia's magic disappearing setting off some kind of painful reaction because it was never meant to happen.

But what if, for someone like the devil, there is no "human base" because he's the anthropomorphic representation of an abstract concept, not someone who was born "naturally" and then converted to being a devil with magic on top? Of course he would die in the reality zone, he's an idea. Same with God, Buddha (unless Budhha is based on an actual person?) the Years, Death etc. Jesus might be okay if a man called Jesus actually existed in history, but he wouldn't have any Jesus powers anymore and would just be a dude telling some people to share and be nice to each other.

Perhaps the characters that can survive the trip into the reality zone either were originally from there or have ancestors that lived there long ago, then future generations moved into the Sinfest zone and from their imaginations abstract concepts became people, and maybe because someone talked to some pigs a lot and treated them like people they gained some ambient sentience (the Sinfest zone laws haha) and that produced people/pigs like Squig, but the sentience and anthropomorphisisation is like the devil people's magic: it's not originally from the reality zone and the way it works in Sinfest isn't possible over there, so Squig turns back into a pig that doesn't appear to be any different than the kind of pigs we see in the real world. But when he comes back the laws apply again, the ambient sentience or whatever recognises him and comes back.
lostinube

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But didn't one of the fembots enter the zone, turn human and run away?

If the Buddha we see floating around the strip is the Gautama Buddha, then he would be the in the same situation as Jesus. Both are said to have existed (although hard evidence is difficult to come by).
Leohan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuschia is a fantasy creatures. Fantasies aren't allowed in the reality zone. Pebbles couldn't enter either. Squig turned into a normal pig and Slick's fake relationship with the Fembot was torn apart. Lil'E... Well, this is Sinfest. Mechanics are hardly ever consistent, but maybe it can be justified since he's half human anyway.

This simple rule also presents a quite tragic scenario, but in this particular case I don't think that we're exploring that, just simply the well known fact that reality hurts delivered in a very literal way ^^
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it occurs to me that there is a difference between li'l e and the other devil-beings - he can't 'bomf'. this seems to be some sort of distinguishing feature, some proof of true 'devilness', or something. so li'l e could go into the reality zone, and just be a regular boy - whereas fuschia and pebbles, who can bomf, suffer when they go in there.

i have no idea where to go with this.
John in Tronna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Building on what Rune and Ennis and others have said before, and the odd idea rolling around my otherwise empty head...

So the Devil is just an idea, an anthropomorphization of the Patriarchy, who does not truly exist in Reality in a physical form. Fyoosh is a bomfed person, completely overlaid by the negative aspects of the Patriarchy, essentially subjugated/oppressed (and majorly traumatized) by it, and used as its tool. She has started her escape from the Patriarchy by being independent, learning (and not always succeeding) to like herself, by establishing a relationship with Crim based on two people liking and respecting each other without it being about one dominating or whatevering the other, and by trying to come to grips with her trauma, and the dichotomy between her Self and her Self-image, thru her art. She obv has a long way to go -- perhaps the Reality Zone brings that realization and transformation instantaneously, rather than thru a long arduous process of self-realization. I.e., it's an instant psychic detox. And considering how "getting rid of one's demons" is a tortuous process at the best of times when taken over a looooong period -- often people's whole lives -- just think of all that pain and agony and trouble compressed into a few seconds.

'Course I could be wrong.

That's the most thunkin' my bran has done for a while. I'm gonna go lie down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: