welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21-Jul-2013: The White Matrix 2
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TerseRiddle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: 21-Jul-2013: The White Matrix 2 Reply with quote

So glad to see that he did more with this.
locuas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm...why does a RED guy want people to believe WHITE is superior?
and why is supergirl still white? or is she supposed to be asian? if she is...why does she need to be non-white? are we supposed to think that having a white person instead of a non-white perosn is racist?
also, abraham lincoln fought against slavery, i would guess that meant he was in favor of black people...so why is he replaced? because he is white?...that's...kind of racist...
look, i looked the name on the internet, and harriet tubman was kind of amazing...but it's still friggin lincoln.
and the statue of liberty is not white, it is metallic!(okay, this one is a joke).
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on sabbatical for posting to message boards right now (it was burning me out), but I just wanted to say...

Thank you, Tat.

<3
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd be surprised how racist Abraham Lincoln really was, and how little "in favor of black people" he really was

*of course, at the end of his life, it was a bit different and he was moving closer towards the Frederick Douglas/Harriet Tubman mold...but he never did quite get there
Istancow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY

I LOVE SUNDAY STRIPS

AND THIS ONE IS PARTICULARLY AWESOME

Oh, and hello locuas! Welcome to the forums!
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locuas wrote:
erm...why does a RED guy want people to believe WHITE is superior?

because the red guy is a physical representation of the vices of the past, present, and the future, throughout the world.

that would pretty much include racism and the internalized belief that white ppl are the norm; and/or that POC are lesser.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White doesn't mean literally white. White people are gemerally kind of pink, or a very very light brown.

Also, the devil likes inequality, so I'm sure he'd support another group if it was convenient.

Supergirl may be asian.

One reason Lincoln may have been replaced is because history s so often presented as STUFF OLD WHITE MEN DID. So imagining that an iconic tribute was actually made for a black woman reframes things.

Also, people tend to forget how much black people have done in their own fight, and instead play up a myth that only magnanimous white peope are responsible for gifting black people anything they appen to have gained for thmselves or had a hand in attaining.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

besides which i mean come on let's be honest if you had to look up harriet tubman because you didn't already have any clue who she is then that sort of illustrates the problem right there, doesn't it
locuas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i freely admit i don't know about american history besides "lincoln fought in the side who was against slavery"(especially since i am not american), but still, i think it is racist to replace the guy who was killed after he managed to make slavery illegal(besides, if you want someone who had not been affected by the society of his/her time, you will get disapointed)
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locuas wrote:
i freely admit i don't know about american history besides "lincoln fought in the side who was against slavery"(especially since i am not american), but still, i think it is racist to replace the guy who was killed after he managed to make slavery illegal(besides, if you want someone who had not been affected by the society of his/her time, you will get disapointed)

You don't know much about American history.

Also, historical black people are erased all the time, and most white people never take notice.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uuuuugh so conflicted on aboriginal Lady Liberty. Cause yessss, aboriginals included! But war bonnets are worn by men so I'm like uuuurgh, what to feel.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the North did not fight the Civil War to "get rid of slavery" until late in the war. in the first couple years of the war, those in the North who really wanted to free the slaves above all else were the minority. they only became the majority late in the war, after many setbacks, when it became clear to Northerners that slavery was the foundation of the South, in war and in peace, and the only way to restore the Union was to destroy that foundation. and even then, ending slavery wasn't really for the slaves' sake; it was for the sake of defeating the South and restoring the Union.
lostinube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Supergirl is supposed to be Asian, much like how Marvel Comics wants us to think that Psylocke is Asian.

The big two comics companies, Marvel and DC have only maybe two or three titles headlined by non-white characters (not counting team books).

I think the Cassandra Cain Batgirl was the most recent big two book that had a long run and that ended over six years ago.

A lot of changes that the strip makes are a reaction to how white people are over-represented in our (American) entertainment and in our history books.
locuas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
locuas wrote:

Also, historical black people are erased all the time, and most white people never take notice.

my apologizes then, i will try to avoid historical facts.
Cactuar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

locuas wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
locuas wrote:

my apologizes then, i will try to avoid historical facts.

Or, you know, you could just try to get them right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: