welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21-Jul-2013: The White Matrix 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Night Spade

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to change the world, you need to set off the Human Instrumentality Project, that way there will be no more black or white, only orange!
Zorlond

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cactuar wrote:
locuas wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
locuas wrote:
i freely admit i don't know about american history besides "lincoln fought in the side who was against slavery"(especially since i am not american), but still, i think it is racist to replace the guy who was killed after he managed to make slavery illegal(besides, if you want someone who had not been affected by the society of his/her time, you will get disapointed)

You don't know much about American history.

Also, historical black people are erased all the time, and most white people never take notice.

my apologizes then, i will try to avoid historical facts.

Or, you know, you could just try to get them right.

Given that he's already stated that he's not an American, isn't it rather bigotist to essentially tell him to learn American history to have any opinion?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorlond wrote:
Given that he's already stated that he's not an American, isn't it rather bigotist to essentially tell him to learn American history to have any opinion?

how dare we expect him to know American history to have any opinion on American history!

what bigots we must be
Jody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not aimed at Lincoln. It's aimed at Sam.

I believe the point of that panel was to remind us that Ms. Tubman, and people like her, were fighting for their freedom long before Lincoln gave it a thought. Too often do their accomplishments go unacknowledged as we lionize Mr. Lincoln.

Not that he doesn't deserve it. But dammit, so does she.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorlond wrote:

*snort* "Bigotist" just sounds like it would mean someone who is mean to bigots, which I can't really see as being a bad thing.

And yeah I'm pretty sure if you don't know anything about a thing it's a bit ridiculous to insist that your opinion on that thing be respected. That's the same logic homophobic people use to say "gays are corrupting the children!" then get angry at "not being allowed to have an opinion" when people chew them out and shun them for being homophobic.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I as a Dutch person start spouting shit about German history without any knowledge on it, I damn well expect to be called out on it. You can't expect to understand something if you don't do your research on it. There's nothing wrong with wanting to seek more knowledge and thus asking around but don't think we know all the facts.

Also this Sunday strip is amazing <3
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
besides which i mean come on let's be honest if you had to look up harriet tubman because you didn't already have any clue who she is then that sort of illustrates the problem right there, doesn't it

I had to Google Harriet Tubman.

Then again, maybe it's because we learn next to nothing about the American civil war and generally focused on the civil rights movement from Rosa Parks and MLK onward.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zorlond wrote:
Cactuar wrote:
locuas wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
locuas wrote:
i freely admit i don't know about american history besides "lincoln fought in the side who was against slavery"(especially since i am not american), but still, i think it is racist to replace the guy who was killed after he managed to make slavery illegal(besides, if you want someone who had not been affected by the society of his/her time, you will get disapointed)

You don't know much about American history.

Also, historical black people are erased all the time, and most white people never take notice.

my apologizes then, i will try to avoid historical facts.

Or, you know, you could just try to get them right.

No. He stated he didn't knwo anything about a subject, and then said something ignorant about the subkect. As someone who knows about the subject, I reiterated the fact he doesn't know the subject.

He asked a question ased on faulty information, so whatever the opinion, it is irrelevant. Further, opinions aren't untouchable and sacred. Offer them other peope and they'll be evaluated.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FOR ONE SUPPORT OUR FEMINIST POC OVERLORDS (Or perhaps overpeople, we need a gender neutral term for 'Overlord')
cleocatra

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BY THE WAY I would like all people who think that black people shouldn't be in fantasy titles to read:

http://diasporicroots.tumblr.com/

just because I find it relates to white washing.

If I change my name at one point it will be to Morien, even though I'm not Welsh.
Strawberrycocoa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Curly can go from a shopping trip to effortlessly hacking the Devil's reality-warping Matrix broadcaster at the drop of a hat, with no visible resistance or security, how aren't they winning already?
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo... For quite some time I've been wondering something.

What's with the 'African American' wording deal?

I can understand it, in a way, since 'black' sounds more like a label than 'African American,' but lately it seems to be a huge deal when it comes to political correctness. I also find that particular wording a bit weird, since in media I have seen it applied to people that are not American and to people that wouldn't have that much a reason to see themselves as African.

Especially so since white, as a race, isn't the American default, by origin. White comes from Europe.

Note: I know that there must be some perfectly good reasons for it. Not looking for an argument, for once. Just want to know it.
vector010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it mildly humorous that the Sunday strip about racial diversity includes a Native American stereotype, and nobody notices at all. Razz

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
lostinube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vector010 wrote:
I find it mildly humorous that the Sunday strip about racial diversity includes a Native American stereotype, and nobody notices at all. Razz

Tekii wrote:
Uuuuugh so conflicted on aboriginal Lady Liberty. Cause yessss, aboriginals included! But war bonnets are worn by men so I'm like uuuurgh, what to feel.

Also, not mentioning does not mean not noticing. I saw it. I chose to comment about Asian Americans because that's a topic I know bit more about.
vector010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostinube wrote:
vector010 wrote:

Tekii wrote:
Uuuuugh so conflicted on aboriginal Lady Liberty. Cause yessss, aboriginals included! But war bonnets are worn by men so I'm like uuuurgh, what to feel.

Also, not mentioning does not mean not noticing. I saw it. I chose to comment about Asian Americans because that's a topic I know bit more about.

I wouldn't call complaining about a Native American stereotype with a Native American stereotype exactly noticing. I can understand not commenting because of lack of knowledge on the subject though. And to be fair, there are several hundred Native American tribes, each with their own unique customs and garb which would be difficult to represent to say the least. In the interest of the spirit of the comic though, yay for knowledge!

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: