welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

21-Jul-2013: The White Matrix 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How racially diverse was Krypton before it kerploded?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone I went to school with had to read an entire book about Harriet Tubman.
The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vector010 wrote:
I find it mildly humorous that the Sunday strip about racial diversity includes a Native American stereotype, and nobody notices at all. Razz

I did wince when I saw that. But it's been years since I was heavily involved in race relation dynamics, and the added "only men can wear that" inter-sectionality always makes me want to steer clear of initiating that discussion.
Valerie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

locuas wrote:
erm...why does a RED guy want people to believe WHITE is superior?

...Where did you see a "red" guy?

Quote:
and why is supergirl still white? or is she supposed to be asian? if she is...why does she need to be non-white? are we supposed to think that having a white person instead of a non-white perosn is racist?

I thought she looked Asian. It's not because Super Girl in particular shouldn't be white-- it's because the vast majority of well-known superheroes are white. In fact, I can't name an Asian one. Keep in mind that I'm not thinking of anything obscure-- I'm talking about superheroes that are in the public eye, ones that people who don't read comics would know about.

Quote:
also, abraham lincoln fought against slavery, i would guess that meant he was in favor of black people...so why is he replaced? because he is white?...that's...kind of racist...
look, i looked the name on the internet, and harriet tubman was kind of amazing...but it's still friggin lincoln.

The fact that you had to look her up is why. Lincoln was a great president, and he did a lot to help the African-Americans get out of slavery, but he wasn't directly involved in the way that someone like Tubman was. When it gets to the point that people don't know who she is or why she's important, that is why.

Chat About
tamalthean

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:

Slightly more diverse than you might think for a comic initially created in the 1930's and '40s. Still cringe-worthy.
vector010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Peanut Gallery wrote:
vector010 wrote:
I find it mildly humorous that the Sunday strip about racial diversity includes a Native American stereotype, and nobody notices at all. Razz

I did wince when I saw that. But it's been years since I was heavily involved in race relation dynamics, and the added "only men can wear that" inter-sectionality always makes me want to steer clear of initiating that discussion.

But... But... Gwarr..

So many different tribes, so many different customs.

http://www.native-languages.org/headdresses.htm

There are some feathered headdresses in some tribes that women CAN wear. That specific one may be reserved for men, but it also is the type only used by a few of the plains tribes.

As far as intersectionality... Well, this briefly touches it in a way that makes sense:

http://nativeappropriations.com/2010/04/but-why-cant-i-wear-a-hipster-headdress.html

I'm gonna sing the doom song now. Doom dee doom doom doom...
Valerie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tekii wrote:
Uuuuugh so conflicted on aboriginal Lady Liberty. Cause yessss, aboriginals included! But war bonnets are worn by men so I'm like uuuurgh, what to feel.

Maybe she's trans. Razz

My guess would be that Tat was trying to replace the crown with something with more Native American influence and that was the only thing he could think of.

As someone who knows next to nothing about Native American's traditional clothing, I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate, female-worn substitute.

Leohan wrote:
Yo... For quite some time I've been wondering something.

What's with the 'African American' wording deal?

I can understand it, in a way, since 'black' sounds more like a label than 'African American,' but lately it seems to be a huge deal when it comes to political correctness. I also find that particular wording a bit weird, since in media I have seen it applied to people that are not American and to people that wouldn't have that much a reason to see themselves as African.

Especially so since white, as a race, isn't the American default, by origin. White comes from Europe.

Note: I know that there must be some perfectly good reasons for it. Not looking for an argument, for once. Just want to know it.

I kind of go back and forth between "African American" and "black," myself. I just try to be consistent with Caucasian/white when I do it (so if I say "black," I'll say "white," for example).

Part of me wants "European American" to catch on just so that both terms are equally complicated.

Chat About
vector010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
Tekii wrote:
Uuuuugh so conflicted on aboriginal Lady Liberty. Cause yessss, aboriginals included! But war bonnets are worn by men so I'm like uuuurgh, what to feel.

Maybe she's trans. Razz

My guess would be that Tat was trying to replace the crown with something with more Native American influence and that was the only thing he could think of.

As someone who knows next to nothing about Native American's traditional clothing, I'm not sure if there's a more appropriate, female-worn substitute.

Something like this?

Geareye

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
locuas wrote:

I assume he means Big D.

Why would the Devil, who as seen in sinfestverse, is a promoter of oppression and bigotry and applies these to enhance a "rich people dominate poor people" system, want people to believe white to be superior is a rather easy question in my mind though...
Valerie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Tat's defense, that looks harder to draw. Razz (That's not really an excuse.) Are there any headdresses that are feather-based for women? Maybe he was trying to draw one of those? Or maybe he just didn't do the research...

(I am trying so hard not to squee about how adorable the little girl in that picture is, asgahsgaj)

Chat About
Valerie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
Valerie wrote:
locuas wrote:

I assume he means Big D.

Why would the Devil, who as seen in sinfestverse, is a promoter of oppression and bigotry and applies these to enhance a "rich people dominate poor people" system, want people to believe white to be superior is a rather easy question in my mind though...

If that's it, this is the last time we saw the Devil in color. I'd say he's much closer to white than to red. He has a very slight red tint.

But regardless of the Devil's color or lack there-of, as you said, his goal is just to promote inequality and make people miserable and petty to each other over silly things like race/sex.

Chat About
vector010

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
In Tat's defense, that looks harder to draw. Razz (That's not really an excuse.) Are there any headdresses that are feather-based for women? Maybe he was trying to draw one of those? Or maybe he just didn't do the research...

(I am trying so hard not to squee about how adorable the little girl in that picture is, asgahsgaj)

Sure, now we get into my heritage with the more south-central American tribes... Though I was actually told recently that since my tribal ancestry is from the Mexican region I'm not Native American... But.. errr.. America is like a whole continent and all that. Guh, whatever.

astrocitizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
you'd be surprised how racist Abraham Lincoln really was, and how little "in favor of black people" he really was

*of course, at the end of his life, it was a bit different and he was moving closer towards the Frederick Douglas/Harriet Tubman mold...but he never did quite get there

Because he was... murdered! *thunderbolt*

It took me a minute to realize Supergirl was now Asian, too. I can get behind that; Obama pics aside, for some reason I more of a "Black Captain Marvel" visualizer.

"I'm not one of those idiots who takes what he sees on TV or movies, and applies it in real life! These days, they're always the third or fourth guy to get killed..."
astrocitizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tamalthean wrote:
Mindslicer wrote:

Slightly more diverse than you might think for a comic initially created in the 1930's and '40s. Still cringe-worthy.

I agree, although it may have been out of some attempted respect for black seperationists at the time, or perhaps to explain why black Kryptonians had never been seen before.

"I'm not one of those idiots who takes what he sees on TV or movies, and applies it in real life! These days, they're always the third or fourth guy to get killed..."
astrocitizen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
Tekii wrote:

Maybe she's trans. Razz

That was much my idea too after thinking about it -- the Statue of Liberty is based upon the fantasy/Hellenic goddess-garb of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_(name)]Columbia[/url], so I imagine Tat thought this would be just as much "Okay, you don't actually see women wearing this in real life, but she's supposed to be a social-political avatar anyway" kind of reasoning.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: