Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-08-01: Looks like a new arc!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One could argue that the only part of the wish Absinthe actually needed grant was "the good old days when life was simple". The rest of it is a tautology. And of course what "the good old days" were is entirely subjective, but one could definitely say that the prehistoric era was simple.
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joandark wrote:
Except that, in cave man times, man hadn't formed a civilization, and, thus, didn't have a concrete idea about how men and women were supposed to act in contrast to each other. She's essentially sent him to a more gender-egalitarian time than the present. Whoops.

I have my doubts that pre-history was more gender-egalitarian than now.
Night Spade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Slick will step on a butterfly, causing all of human history to change, that or this is a one-off gag.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahahaha!

@Dro: We only know the stuff history books shoved down our throats but the truth is that we know very little. There's nothing that showed whether or not women actually just scoured for berries or hunted alongside men (and they definitely didn't hunt mammoths, those things are fucking dangerous - goes to show not all cave paintings tell the truth).
Rune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there is good evidence that early humans did hunt mammoths: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0305440313001957

But that doesn't really matter to the egalitarian thing.

Fact is, some of our near cousins (bonobos) are plenty egalitarian, as well as there being a much higher incidence of non-patriarchal societies in pre-literate and subsistence tribal societies. You'd probably have better odds of finding egalitarianism or matriarchies in prehistoric societies than most other time periods.
Yinello

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh and here I was so sure they wouldn't. I learned something new!
cleocatra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's think though, has she got him kidnapped by prehistoric larpers, sent back in time, or could this be in his dream?
merest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is such a cheap gag strip that my own suspicion is that Mr. Ishida suggests that the old day of this comic were similarly simplistic.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absinthe said, "I'll see what I can do," and usually the wishes granted by D-man are broken. The point isn't giving customers what they want, just something thattechnically resembles what they asked for.

And imagine - Slick s in a place without s lappy. No one lse knws he's there. It isn't like Hell where he can ride out on a flying pitchfork. if D-man wanted to get rid of him, this is a good dumping ground.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dro wrote:
joandark wrote:
Except that, in cave man times, man hadn't formed a civilization, and, thus, didn't have a concrete idea about how men and women were supposed to act in contrast to each other. She's essentially sent him to a more gender-egalitarian time than the present. Whoops.

I have my doubts that pre-history was more gender-egalitarian than now.

well, there is a lot of discussion, but for what i understand......it was complicated. men hunt while women stay on the tribe, but it was not because of oppression, was kind of an equal terms thing. they needed to survive, so they give tasks to those who are most capable of doing it, so, males, physically stronger and more likely to survive were hunters while female stay in the tribe to make things like weapons because they are more skillfull. it is not oppression, it's just they don't see why they should do it any other way.
i think there are even some theories women dominated men because of pregnancy, but as i have said it, there are a lot of theories about how cavemen "society" was.
tricksterson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if he'll meet the Flintstones and Rubbles?
starkruzr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PEBBLES' ORIGIN STORY?!?!

ETA: Nope, I had completely forgotten the "used to be an innocent country girl, has now lost her memory" thing. Nevermind.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

egalitarianism doesn't require that everyone do the same thing, only that everyone is equally respected. so it is quite possible to have an egalitarian society where the men hunt and the women gather, so long as women are not treated as lesser members of the group, because they "only" gather (which would be amusing, since gathering usually provided more of what people ate).

ANYway - i think this could perhaps also be seen as a comment on the fact that when someone refers to "the good old days", what they mean is the days of their personal past, which are generally rosier in retrospect than they really were at the time. absinthe has instead transported him to the days that were genuinely older, and simpler.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...just for the sake of guessing...didn't he do something like this before? Like a previous story arc? If that is the case, then did that mean Tat raided his file Cabinet to find it?

Therefore...

Does that mean Tat is a Raider of the Lost Arc?

X3 *snicker, snicker*

Regardless, I am very happy that he decided to whip this out.

I've been Jones'n for a new story arc.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a problem to talk about prehistoric people as if they all shared one culture. Whatever prehistoric people did, I highly doubt they all acted in concert, or that they adhered to whatever gender imperative we feel like proving on any given day.

I think Jon Stewart* captured it best when he said that people who talk about going back to simpler, gentler times are actually referring to when they were ten year olds.

*Pretty sure it was him, talking about Glenn Beck, Bill O'Reilly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: