welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-08-15: Godbro Tears
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of this particular comic. Can't call God a dudebro, and most importantly, still not a fan of the trike's method of fuel.
anti-prophet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah not a fan of this one either.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Not a fan of this particular comic. Can't call God a dudebro, and most importantly, still not a fan of the trike's method of fuel.

Do you mean you personally can't, or that no one should? And why?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
And why?

because Shamash's wrath provides more energy and brings great justice
skysinger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Leohan wrote:

Do you mean you personally can't, or that no one should? And why?

Pretty sure god is like the ultimate dudebro.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey now, Shamash, aka Utu, spawn of Nannar, vanquisher of utukku and bringer of justice, is not a dudebro.

be sure to specify which god if you're going to make such a claim
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:

God is the ultimate dudebro leohan, have you actually read the bible?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bible is a Book Written by Men in God's Name, not written BY God, thus those words are full of the bias, corruption and power mongering of men looking to control the hearts and minds of other people, getting them to obey 'God's Rules' to get into Heaven, manipulating behavior and actions to suit them and their ideals.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that God himself has said that he's been sorely misrepresented in 'that' book at some point in the comic so not even Sinfest God likes the Bible. Could be wrong about the reference, might be thinking of another comic that has a God/Jesus character.

But yea, I don't think God is a Dudebro, not in the comic anyways. In RL... Well let's just say I really don't think anybody's imaginary friend can write a book, but I'll not curb this into some massive religious Debate.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously we discuss these characters as, well, characters

and the Sinfest God isn't nearly as bad as the God in the biblical canon, nor in most of the works in the extended universe
I mean, he's so playful
Onimaru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and again most of the character base is meant to be a Comical Version of whatever they portray, God, The Devil, Budda and the Dragon. However I'm pretty sure that the Bible in Sinfest is just as much Misogynistic, depraved and female Vilifying as the real thing.

Blaming them for Original Sin and being Kicked from Paradise/Eden, that they owe part of their creation from a Man, being from his Rib, thus only Man is in the image of God, while women are simply a 'creation' from man, giving him 'dominion' over her as much as the rest of the 'animals' God created and other such BS. Sad
Adyon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just seems more and more that you choose to believe Sinfest God is one way based on a pre-existing bias of what you think "God" is.

I mean, even in the Bible, he's described tons of different ways. And heck, some of them are not as bad in the actual book as "religion" has chosen to interpret and proclaim to the world. It's all one jumbled mess of half-truths anymore. Christianity believes that the seed of "sin" is from the man, thus why Jesus was brought about through Mary, as to be free of sin. Basically, the Bible was written by a ton of different people at different times with different histories going on constantly. Then at one point, a group got together and decided which stories to include. Even if you're a believer in God, it's hard to believe that you'd get a truly accurate depiction of him from reading the Bible, especially reading it too closely and specifically.

I think Tat's "God" is a fun take on the elusive non-direct nature that God is described constantly and how he rarely tried to affect the world directly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricia wrote:
Speaking of uncomfortable would any tears from a dudebro work or does it have to be self entitled tears?

i think they have to be self-entitled tears, which is why god's work in this instance. remember yesterday's strip:

god is feeling sorry for himself; he's bemoaning the fact that he's no longer seen as the all-powerful being who gets the world to work the way he wants.

then again, i figured the actual crying was kinda sarcastic - maybe it's really sarcasm that provides the extra power boost?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey now, Tupă is a pretty cool (or hot, I guess) dude by all accounts
unlike Yahweh there's no tome of desert scribblings attributing all sorts of horrible things to him

Quote:
That just seems more and more that you choose to believe Sinfest God is one way based on a pre-existing bias of what you think "God" is.

that's dumb
maybe we should refer to these characters by better names than "God"
"God" is pretty generic

most of them have names, y'know
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
But... wasn't god entertaining them with the Jessica Christ bit? I felt God was playing along, and wasn't inherently a dudebro since they allowed it despite a woman only space (or perhaps god *is* of mixed gender in this universe?)

... I really need to stop expecting continuity from this comic, even if it's trying to create a storyline, don't I.

Well he's still the "father" of all things, and the creator of the Bible supposedly, which is "the blueprint for Patriarchy".
'

Well, he is the creator of the story that *inspired* the bible.

But if that's the blueprint for the patriarchy..t hen why's Satan trying to hold up the patriarchy? He STRIVES to destroy (in the comic) everything God has crafted!
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Adyon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
that's dumb
maybe we should refer to these characters by better names than "God"
"God" is pretty generic

most of them have names, y'know
Nah, see God's just a classic example, setting the precedent for future "retooling of narratives" throughout history! Like the many interpretations of Alice and Wonderland or Romeo and Juliet. It's classy to retool things yo! Cool

Besides, what name should we assign to Tat's God? Something existing or make it up? If making it up...Something that's a pun on hands?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: