welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Civil Forfeiture, or "Read a New Yorker article and get
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
"I smell marijuana." <-- probable cause exists anywhere it's needed, at least according to that story.

seems like a lot of officers think they are smelling marijuana all the time. someone needs to do some blind testing to find out just how good these guys' noses are.

my state, at least, seems to provide some protection of real estate. i bought a home because i didn't want anyone ever to have the right to throw me out of it - i can't imagine what it would be like to be 70, and sick, and not knowing whether you were suddenly going to be out on the street.

and _they_ have to wait a month because the DA has the wrong paperwork?
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
Earlier this summer, in Philadelphia, I joined Louis Rulli and Susanna Greenberg in the high-ceilinged corridor outside Courtroom 478 of City Hall, as they prepared to make their case for the Adamses’ home. Gradually, respondents filed in, almost all without lawyers: a mother fighting for her property, with two young girls playing hushed clapping games beside her; a teen-age boy trying to recover the cash taken from his car. When the assistant D.A. assigned to the Adams case arrived in court, he discovered he had the wrong set of folders; he’d confused their home with another one being forfeited on the same street.

Quote:
Why did Washington think he was entitled to seize the Agostini family’s cash?“It’s no more theirs than a man on the moon,” Washington said. “It belongs to an organization of people that are narcotics traffickers.”
“Do you have any evidence, any rational basis to tell us that this money belonged to an organization of narcotics traffickers?” Garrigan asked. “Or is that more speculation?”
“I don’t have any evidence today,” Washington said.

Quote:
“Did you find any drugs?” Garrigan asked.
“No.”
“Is there any evidence that they were buying drugs, instead of looking at restaurants in Houston?”
“No, not yet.”
“Do you, for some reason, think people driving up and down 59 owe you an explanation for why they might have money?”
“Sure they do.”

but it's all ok, because god told him to do it! you aren't suggesting that god got it wrong, are you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: